Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lakemaster Or Navionics? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

I got the 08 Lakemaster paper map. Great detail. Has a whole bunch of gps locations. Only problem it, the locations are way off. I was on Cass in June, and I know the lake. I plugged in the coords and when I followed the gps to them, they were way off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Wallhanger

Amen brother. My Lakemaster mapping chip is so far off it is not worth putting back in the machine. It's been a week since I sent the problem into Lowrance and still no reply.

Lakemaster -punted on the deal. No updates. No refund. punt to Lowrance and I wait............
Old 08-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Wallhanger

Another opinion in the mix, I own both 2008 chips, running them (alternately) in an LMS 332C, for Minnesota.

Each has lakes I fish that the other doesn't. Each seems to be a better at some than others.
Lakemaster takes it's borders very seriously - trying to plot a run from Kabetogama to the Kettle Falls Hotel cannot be done with LakeMaster, with the strict cut off of the Canadian side of the map, navigation is hopeless. Navionics chip allows that routing to be seen.

Std res of Lake Kabetogama for both: Lakemaster wins hands down. Much more accurate in locations of rocks, and depths. A few rock hazards showing that aren't there. Navionics has lots of extra things showing that don't exist, and misses lots of rock piles and contours - not to be trusted on that lake. Have not seen a high def version yet, although have used the new paper map from Navionics, and that is a tremendous improvement!

For High Res on a couple of the metro area lakes I fish, I like the Navionics better then the High Res Lakemaster - easier to read, seems to be more accurate as to what is where. But, there are examples going the other way, also.

I really like that the LakeMaster just loads when the unit starts up, and is just there. Zoom response is pretty fast. Lakemaster has lots of other stuff - roads, accurate launches, motels, gas availability, etc.

Navionics requires you select the region from the chip (because it covers so much more area). Zooming seems to take much, much longer. Probably a function of so much more on the chip, also. But, a pain in the butt when you're trying to figure out what is going on in the area you're in, vs the larger lay of the countours. Navionics has symbols I haven't got a clue as to what they mean, and shows some non-existant boat launches on one of the lakes I fish, along with other similar artifacts. Less "off water" roads and landmarks.

So, a mixed bag. All I can advise - review the list of lakes, and get the one that has the most number of High Res lakes that you actually fish. Or just buy both.........
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Keeper

I concur, they are both like fine wine.
Every years they get better and more accurate.

However % lakes the same, % lake better on one or the other.

Lakemaster Shines in MN, WI, MI & LOTW's.

Navionics also shines in many parts too of lakes there and they have chips for Rivers, Great Lakes, and 5 regional Chips in North America as well as a partial on LOTW's. They also have an update refund 50% 0r is that now 33%.for upgrading to new chips.

Lakemaster @ $89 is still a fair price with a no upgrade, if your lake, lakes are in it correctly .
Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM

Unhappy Map chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1@execpc.com View Post
In all the big 2008 catalogs (BassPro, Cabelas, West Marine) none of them have any listings for Lakemaster chips anymore. Don't know why. Unless Navionics bought them out.

2007 catalogs had them listed.
I 've been raning Lakemaster s 2007 fof along time now on my h2o, but found out how far off it was on Cass Lke when I got a27c, And Lake Master won,t even do anything for me. I go back to novionics.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Thumbs down Trying talking to Lake Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo1 View Post
Amen brother. My Lakemaster mapping chip is so far off it is not worth putting back in the machine. It's been a week since I sent the problem into Lowrance and still no reply.

Lakemaster -punted on the deal. No updates. No refund. punt to Lowrance and I wait............
They told me I had to load it in aplug and play unit,they can even forsee that they have a problem with there product