Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Switching to a 4 blade prop- - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-07-2019, 10:30 PM
Keeper

Default Switching to a 4 blade prop-

So I'm thinking of trying a 4 blade prop to have a slower planing speed and better boat control in rough water. I never run at WOT, and hate the prop rattle that I can't shake by trying different hubs. I'm running a 2018 1875 Impact Sport, 150 4 stroke with 19p Tempest. My question is should I stay with a 19p if I went with a 4 blade Spitfire or change pitch? Anyone with this boat tried this?
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 01:21 AM
Keeper

Had identical boat/motor and tried both a 19p bravo LT and a 20p FS. Both worked similar but motor needed to be raised to 4th hole
Old 06-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Wallhanger

Default props

I do not have your boat
On my triton 206 I am running a 5 blade with great results not sure what pitch you would need? good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 AM
Keeper

Give DAH Propellers a call. They will talk to you and answer a lot of questions. I had a prop cupped and done up by them with great results. Joe
Old 06-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

I went down a pitch when switching to 4 blade on a 17ft fisherman. Went with the spitfire and it was the right choice. It was suggested to me on here. Iím very happy with performance increase on the planing and low end torque. I only lost 2mph on the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Keeper

If you are thinking of the Mercury Bravo FS........Scott Reichow ( Mercury Racing Prop Guru ) advises going up 1" in pitch from running a Tempest three blade. Just make sure your engine height is appropriate to take advantage of the four blade......IMHO.

Here's a link to the Mercury Bravo FS page.....you'll find a thread there with several guys asking Scott for advice:
https://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-p...rd/bravo-i-fs/

A YouTube video from Scott explaining the benefits and set up of the Bravo FS prop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=3P0mUHH6hD0

2017 Lund 1900 Tyee
Mercury 200 Verado Pro
Mercury 15hp Pro Kicker
Humminbird 12.1" Solix

Last edited by Senderofan; 06-08-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Slot Fish

Go with a revolution 17p 4 blade, It's amazing went from a 19p tempest. Only down side is lost 4 mph. Cornering and time on plane is much improved. You can turn with out prop blow out I won't change back.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the input folks. I have a spitfire ordered to try next week on a week long trip to Ft. Peck. I'll be able to compare it to the Tempest the same day. If I really like it I'll sell the Tempest next year and pick up a Bravo FS. I want a back up on the boat any way.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 AM
Slot Fish

I also have a different boat, but loved testing props and changing to a 4 blade. It honestly changed my whole boat. I went from a 19 tempest to a 19 Trophy Plus. I got all the advantages you are looking for and I only lost 1 mph on the top end.

Great tip I got on here, when you are trying to dial in your RPM's, start with all solid vent plugs and drill them out yourself. I was amazed at the precision. My motor is max 5800 rpms. I can get it right at 5760 each time I try to max it out again. I have no doubt I could get to 5800 on the number, but did not want to push it or hit the rev limiter.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieMat View Post
Go with a revolution 17p 4 blade, It's amazing went from a 19p tempest. Only down side is lost 4 mph. Cornering and time on plane is much improved. You can turn with out prop blow out I won't change back.
This ^^^ exactly my setup.

I had DAH rework my Rev 4 so the gap is closer. The only downside is that both props are at the top of the RPM range and I'd like to raise the motor up so I almost need to go up probably 2 sizes on both theoretically.
Solix 12