Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Typical Price vs MSRP Ranger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Slot Fish

Default Typical Price vs MSRP Ranger

Hi, looking to purchase a new 2020 Ranger.

I searched the boat thread for info on what folks are paying off MSRP and didn't find anything related to Ranger, mostly for Lund with comments of up to 20%.

I checked MSRP versus dealer costs for the boat I am considering and the dealer cost of 76% of MSRP so 20% seems pretty unreasonable for 70 - 80K boat.

No one has what I am looking for in stock and thus would need to place an order now for 2020 to be ready by fishing opener and work with the dealer to take advantage of typical boat show motor warranty increases, covers, etc.

I am looking to buy in MN and have stopped in and chatted with a few dealers and requested prices. Basically what I am getting is full MSRP + dealer set up ranging from $500 - $1000.

So now I'd like to start negotiating. For any of you who may have purchased a Ranger recently, can you comment on ~ % under MSRP? I am not interested in making sure I get the lowest cost, but MSRP doesn't seem reasonable and like anybody else would not like to get taken to the cleaners.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Keeper

I bought a new 621 in North Dakota last year about this time. My final price paid was about 8% less than the MSRP after building on the Ranger website. I too ordered my boat exactly how I wanted it. I also got all the boat show incentives from Ranger. No regrets!!! Happy shopping.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the info. For your 621 was that a FS Cup?

I am not familiar with previous years, but for a 2010 FS Cup Ranger will only ship with Lowrence HDS 9 and 12 and Ulterra 112 I-Pilot without Link. When you bought yours did Ranger allow you to change electronics and trolling motor?

As I want HB and Link, I will need to have Ranger ship in their respective boxes and then try to work out a deal with dealers on a swap or sell myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Keeper

I paid full MSRP for a 2020 Pro Series but I didn't pay for any prep or freight. Dealer also spent several hours rigging my added options and didn't charge for that. My issue was there is no local dealer, only three within a 5 hour drive and only one of those three paid enough attention to my potential order that I was comfortable ordering from them. Point being I wasn't able to get other quotes to create some competition. That said I was and still am okay paying extra because the dealer's service and response time has been top notch to date.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Wallhanger

Default classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
Hi, looking to purchase a new 2020 Ranger.

I searched the boat thread for info on what folks are paying off MSRP and didn't find anything related to Ranger, mostly for Lund with comments of up to 20%.

I checked MSRP versus dealer costs for the boat I am considering and the dealer cost of 76% of MSRP so 20% seems pretty unreasonable for 70 - 80K boat.

No one has what I am looking for in stock and thus would need to place an order now for 2020 to be ready by fishing opener and work with the dealer to take advantage of typical boat show motor warranty increases, covers, etc.

I am looking to buy in MN and have stopped in and chatted with a few dealers and requested prices. Basically what I am getting is full MSRP + dealer set up ranging from $500 - $1000.

So now I'd like to start negotiating. For any of you who may have purchased a Ranger recently, can you comment on ~ % under MSRP? I am not interested in making sure I get the lowest cost, but MSRP doesn't seem reasonable and like anybody else would not like to get taken to the cleaners.

Thanks
The Classifieds on WC is a great tool for just that and you may find a great deal over this offseason.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Keeper

It was a cup version but it really doesn’t matter. I was basing my actual price vs the build your own price on Ranger’s website. I ordered more than just the straight “cup version”. I did get the Lowrance electronics because that’s what I wanted. And it came with the MinnKota Ulterra which I also wanted.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:31 PM
HowItIs

The pricing model for Ranger Boats has changed significantly since it was sold to the Bass Pro corp. They have trimmed dealer margins and are stressing more of a one price model similar to the Tracker marketing plan. For example The Ranger cup line offers very limited option choices but offers a package that suits many buyers just fine and has pricing that is considerably better than ordering the same equipment as a custom build...like 6-7000$$$ better. Margins are fixed on the Cup Models and there is not much room for discounting...see below.

That said if you want a true custom boat you'll pay a premium vs the Cups package discounting as making a one off vs a package boat does cost more. Discounts CAN be had but Dealer agreements actually prohibit discounting many of the models including the Cup Models. Don't expect huge discounts though...the margin is just not there.

Its the evolution of the business...twenty years ago every vehicle (cars/trucks) were ordered off of a blank order sheet with about 50 different options whether it was for dealer stock or a sold unit. Now there are just a few packages available for each model and that makes the process of building them more streamlined and cost effective. The boating industry is heading the same way.

My info comes from 40 years as an auto dealer and 10 years as a pro-staff ranger guy (recently quit) who also sold quite a few new boats every year...but I'm sure others will have a different as we are on the internet.

I would offer to help with your process as I am in MN and have a great relationship with a Ranger dealer but then the the skeptics in the crowd would say I have "an agenda". Good luck with the process.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

What ^^^^^^^ said

The mysterious "How it is" Nailed it.

I ordered a 619 last year and had it out fitted exactly how I wanted it. I went with a 619 for a few different reasons not germane to the conversation so no need to get into it. In the end if I ordered a Cup 620 and sold the stuff I did not want and added on what I did want it would have been $6K-$7K cheaper. Like most everything else in the world margins are being squeezed down so don't expect great wiggle room.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1269 View Post
What ^^^^^^^ said

The mysterious "How it is" Nailed it.

I ordered a 619 last year and had it out fitted exactly how I wanted it. I went with a 619 for a few different reasons not germane to the conversation so no need to get into it. In the end if I ordered a Cup 620 and sold the stuff I did not want and added on what I did want it would have been $6K-$7K cheaper. Like most everything else in the world margins are being squeezed down so don't expect great wiggle room.
This and "How it is" explanation mirrored my experience. Also, for what it's worth, my dealers explanation of Ranger's post acquisition pricing model is in line with the post by "How it is".
Old 12-14-2019, 05:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
This and "How it is" explanation mirrored my experience. Also, for what it's worth, my dealers explanation of Ranger's post acquisition pricing model is in line with the post by "How it is".
I get the sense this is more of a no haggle world anymore...You can get maybe $5K off a 70K boat if you buy a current year model off a lot in late summer/fall.