Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Smaller boat? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-21-2020, 09:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcreekdad View Post
Tandm

What do you think is the reason the larger boat is easier?
I don't think the length of boat had much bearing on it. I give most of the credit to a better trailer design. Sorry if I miscommunicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2020, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

I dislike steep ramps where my bow is against the stop, but my stern is floating. With no wind or current I can usually just pull the truck ahead and the stern centers. With wind or current, I often have to winch it up the last 2 or 3 feet. At 72 y/o, that's no fun. Been thinking about an electric winch.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:27 AM
Keeper

Quote:
I'm into my 21st season with my Alumacraft Magnum 165 tiller, with a 60 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I do most of my fishing alone on lakes in northern Michigan, and annually a few times (other than this year), to the French River in Ontario.

Up til the last couple years, this boat has been perfect for how I fish, and I could load and unload it without a great deal of difficulty. I'm now in my 73rd year and loading the boat on the trailer is very tiring. I've started not fishing when on the fence if I think about the loading/unloading process. It more than saddens to think the time may be shortly coming when I won't be able to fish solo.

Whoever labelled these the "Golden Years" should be burnt at the stake.

In any case, has anyone moved to a smaller/lighter boat and found the launching/loading process much easier? If so, what did you move from and to?

Thanks
I am 69 and have a 20' Ranger boat. I have the drotto latch and an Ulterra bowmount trolling motor. Those two things make loading and unloading a breeze.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:20 AM
Minnow

Been looking at vids of the Drotto. Looks great! However, I've seem some mention of them working best on roller trailers. Are there any bunk trailer users out there that can comment?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
However, I've seem some mention of them working best on roller trailers. Are there any bunk trailer users out there that can comment?

Roller trailers are a little easier than bunks friction wise but rollers give you less play on cross winds and it can miss the latch if the boat keel is not straight on.

17.5 Sylvan... 4 bunk trailer...works great.

A little silicone on the front bunks and she slides right into the latch.

I prefer bunks vs rollers but the launches I use are all concrete ramps so no shallow launch problems.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-2020, 05:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Been looking at vids of the Drotto. Looks great! However, I've seem some mention of them working best on roller trailers. Are there any bunk trailer users out there that can comment?
I have one on a bunk trailer. It is especially useful on steeper ramps, holding the boat in place without having to lean over the bow and hook the winch strap. If I have a partner driving the tow vehicle, he does not have to leave the vehicle, until the rig is out of the ramp traffic area.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Mine is on a bunk trailer too and like MikeF said just spray some silicone on the bunks every now and then and loading isn't a problem.