Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pro XS winterize? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 AM
Keeper

Default Pro XS winterize?

I'm sure it's been discussed on this site, I just can't find it. I have a 2019 250 Pro XS 4 stroke for big motor(59 hrs) and Merc 15hp 4 stroke for kicker. I do keep them inside for the winter(and it does get plenty below freezing where I live). But I will use the boat up to December. Do I need to winterize these motors? I have been told yes...and no. If anyone with these types of motors and experience could help with some advice, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2020, 09:35 AM
Keeper

When will you use it in spring? I have a 200 pro xs and I also use it up till December. I get an oil/filter change, gear lube, fuel stabilized, have them run a report for hours, faults, etc, and get the engine fogged. I’ve heard you don’t have to fog it but dealer does it so I go with it. I think it’s hard to go wrong with that strategy.

If I’m lucky I use the boat last week of February but if it’s too cold or river is flooded it might not be till mid April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Keeper

I'll probably start using it in April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

Me personally never fog an engine if the oil I use is not good enough to protect the engine for 3-5 months of sitting I better make changes.

How many collector cars that sit for months and months and never get fogged and just run great after sitting?

Now a good fuel stabilizer is another thing I like Seafoam but any reputable stabilizer will work.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

the only thing that you really need is to insure that you have no moisture in your oil or in your lower unit. If needed, you can change the oil and gear lube if you wish.

Then, only run fuel with stabil or equivalent in it and keep the batteries charged on the boat.

Other than that, pat it on the bow and wish it a nice nap.

------------------
As one of the other posts indicated. Thousands of cars are stored every year for a short or some times years of time. Then, when they come out of storage, the battery is charged up and or installed, the key is turned and the vehicle starts and ready to go on a trip.

With today's 4 cycle engines, the only big difference is the operation in water compared to vehicles.
So, it is always a good idea to check lubrication reservoirs for moisture intrusion. If water intrusion is foune - have the motor fixed. If not water intrusion is found, charge the batteries and say good night to the motor for its period of inactivity.

Be safe
Old 10-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

I was just chatting with my son the other day.
He was winterizing his big boat. In that boat, he not only has to winterize the engines, but also all of the plumbing, sewer and other big boat systems - that one finds in a home.

In his case he has a couple of 427 V-8 engines as well as a 4-cylinder generator engine that needs to have its water jacket drained and refilled with antifreeze to insure that there will be no engine freeze up and engine failure in the cold of winter.

Of course the same thing goes for the boats living quarters plumbing and electrical and other systems. Make it all safe for -20 to -40F extended periods of storage.

The marina does a nice job on these boats for about $500 per boat, but he prefers to do it himself for about $100 worth of materials like anti freeze etc.

------------------
As with anything else. Take care of your possessions and you will enjoy them for many years down the road with minimal storage related issues.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:22 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 2019 300 pro XS and 20 EFI, also 2014 225 pro xs. I don't "winterize" like I used to . I change all fluids in fall but still fish after that. no fogging, always run stabil blue and merc additives..., keep batteries full and charged...good to go all winter whether I fish or it freezes solid for a month...
Old 10-18-2020, 06:20 AM
Wallhanger

I have heard with a 4 stroke no need to for engine?
I just change lower gear lube. Put in New oil. Put in a can of seafoam. Run engine for 10 min. Charge batteries and that's it.
Maybe this year I'll put antifreeze in live well and run?
Old 10-18-2020, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

I had an error. I meant no reason to for a 4 stroke?
Old 10-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pothen View Post
I have heard with a 4 stroke no need to for engine?
I just change lower gear lube. Put in New oil. Put in a can of seafoam. Run engine for 10 min. Charge batteries and that's it.
Maybe this year I'll put antifreeze in live well and run?
probably doesn't matter on engine oil, but for me fall is a good time to change 4 stroke engine oil. I do change lower unit lube in fall more out of habit, but I fish in winter after duck, upland and deer season. usually starting in late january if not frozen.

i've never put antifreeze in any of my boats plumbing in 30 years...I fish in winter in cold weather and well below freezing nights. I let it drain on ramp on angle and put in my unheated storage unit. Just make sure it's drained well. boats and motors(when vertical) are designed to gravity drain....I also run additive all year long...Merc 1,2, stabile blue. also, battery fully watered and charged always including winter. . I do keep them plugged in as I have bot of parasitic drain. 15 minutes each night. that's it. ready to go when I get on it late january and on...
I'm sure there are other great ways to do it, this is just what has worked for me.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 10-18-2020 at 08:47 AM.