Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
OSU vs Michigan - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 12:38 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.
Default OSU vs Michigan

Has the Michigan program taken a step back or is OSU that good? Last few years it hasn't even been a contest.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Wallhanger

I would have to say they are just that good !!! 12-0
Old 11-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

2019 BIG championship game on Pearl Harbor Day! Should be a good one!
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Smile

That good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go bucs.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Keeper

I hope Wisconsin makes a good showing. Frankly, I have my doubts.
Minn Kota Terrova 112 Ipilot Link
Old 11-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

I have no affinity to either team, but am glad to see Ohio State win. Harbaugh is the biggest blowhard, most over rated (and over paid) coach in any sport.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

OSU was by far the better team. They have a talent advantage that's very hard to overcome. So do a few other teams which has created a competitive imbalance that makes the sport less enjoyable to watch for 99% of fans and in the long run will make it less popular. Question is, why the imbalance? There must be some recruiting advantages these schools have that other schools don't. I see four primary advantages.

1. The playoffs are too small. The measure of success is whittled down to four teams, kids want to make the playoffs so they're drawn to these teams. The teams likely to make it today will get more top players, increasing their chances of making the playoff next year, increasing their recruiting advantage, increasing their playoff advantage, increasing their...

2. The transfer portal allows kids to all choose just a few schools without fear that they'll be buried on the depth chart and never play. They can just leave, albeit usually to a school that won't make the playoffs but they'll still get exposure that keeps their NFL dreams alive. Not as good of exposure as when they're playing alongside the best of the best but exposure nonetheless. So they choose the most stacked teams to begin with, further disadvantaging the teams that are trying to get into the top.

3. Teams already stacked with great talent means that when a player gets on the field he can really shine. Opponents can't focus on shutting down one or two stars, they'll just get beat by the other stars, so each individual gets more chances for one on one match ups that showcase him and he's always getting "help" from the great play of his team mates. That's a big and attractive advantage for the kind of talent that wants to play on Sundays.

4. Top players don't actually attend classes. They're football players first, last and always. When a recruit visits school A and players tell him that they have special tutors and study halls to help him with his classes that sounds nice. When he visits school B and players tell him that his classes are all online so he can stay focused on his football career that sounds better. It's perfectly within the rules and very smart by the schools doing it. Let's face it, most of these kids would never get into school without their athletic talent and even fewer would be able to maintain eligibility without a large department focused on keeping the eligible. They're not student athletes, they're football players and academics are being gamed to maintain the illusion that they are students. This is nothing new, it's just a little more blatant and shameless. Can we finally stop pretending?

Last edited by kzoofisher; 12-01-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
I have no affinity to either team, but am glad to see Ohio State win. Harbaugh is the biggest blowhard, most over rated (and over paid) coach in any sport.
Hairball takes all the air out of the room--he gave us the Klapperkneeler also.....
Old 12-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
OSU was by far the better team. They have a talent advantage that's very hard to overcome. So do a few other teams which has created a competitive imbalance that makes the sport less enjoyable to watch for 99% of fans and in the long run will make it less popular. Question is, why the imbalance? There must be some recruiting advantages these schools have that other schools don't. I see four primary advantages.

1. The playoffs are too small. The measure of success is whittled down to four teams, kids want to make the playoffs so they're drawn to these teams. The teams likely to make it today will get more top players, increasing their chances of making the playoff next year, increasing their recruiting advantage, increasing their playoff advantage, increasing their...

2. The transfer portal allows kids to all choose just a few schools without fear that they'll be buried on the depth chart and never play. They can just leave, albeit usually to a school that won't make the playoffs but they'll still get exposure that keeps their NFL dreams alive. Not as good of exposure as when they're playing alongside the best of the best but exposure nonetheless. So they choose the most stacked teams to begin with, further disadvantaging the teams that are trying to get into the top.

3. Teams already stacked with great talent means that when a player gets on the field he can really shine. Opponents can't focus on shutting down one or two stars, they'll just get beat by the other stars, so each individual gets more chances for one on one match ups that showcase him and he's always getting "help" from the great play of his team mates. That's a big and attractive advantage for the kind of talent that wants to play on Sundays.

4. Top players don't actually attend classes. They're football players first, last and always. When a recruit visits school A and players tell him that they have special tutors and study halls to help him with his classes that sounds nice. When he visits school B and players tell him that his classes are all online so he can stay focused on his football career that sounds better. It's perfectly within the rules and very smart by the schools doing it. Let's face it, most of these kids would never get into school without their athletic talent and even fewer would be able to maintain eligibility without a large department focused on keeping the eligible. They're not student athletes, they're football players and academics are being gamed to maintain the illusion that they are students. This is nothing new, it's just a little more blatant and shameless. Can we finally stop pretending?
Just so you know....this MAY be happening at some schools, but certainly not all. For the last 5 years I have had 1 or 2 of my nephews playing for WI. They read your post and laughed, there is study rooms with people there to help them negotiate classes and class schedules, and that is the case with MOST college's, But DO NOT paint everyone with that broad brush of yours. If you have an example we would all like to hear it. Nephew 1 graduated with honors in Mech engineering last June and is working in the alternative energy field, nephew 2 is in the Pharmacy school, both, not exactly course work you can skate thru.
You are correct with some athletes getting into certain schools with lesser qualifications, WI and Northwestern have the highest in the Big10. There are several examples of players who have not been able to gain admission to WI after commiting and ending up at MSU and others. Both in Football and basketball.

As for the championship game, OSU should win handily. That is easily the best college football team I have seen in 10 yrs, and if those people in the SEC would remove their SEC biases they would see it too. But then again, the Rose Bowl isn't a bad 2nd option, but now I hear rumblings that the Rose Bowl committee may pass on the Badgers.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Wallhanger

This will sound like sour grapes but the difference between the SEC and SEC north (OSU) than all the other schools out there is this. I'm going to point to 2 quotes

Fields regarding the OSU campus - " From what I have seen, the campus is beautiful and the people around are great,”

joe burrows at LSU - "Obviously, I don't go to class because I take online classes so I don't get to see any of those people."

basically, the SEC and OSU, perhaps OU and Clemson as well have figured out that all that matters for the athletic department is winning. These kids are not hardly on campus they are taking online classes in the most efficient way possible to click a check mark (joe burrows finished 4 years of online classes in 3 years). They are apart of OSU the football team....not the university.

this would never be allowed at many other schools. ND and much of the rest of the big 10 just don't have that mentality. its these schools fault though. these schools that have been winning consistently the past decade NEVER get in real trouble for what they do outside of slaps on the wrist and as long as schools like ND and Mich don't realize that there are 2 parts to your institution....football and education and separate the 2, you will never beat bama/osu/etc etc who see the world for what it is outside of massive injury issues (bama this year)

there is potential to level the playing field on the horizon. Not from an education standards part but from a financial point. When these top recruits are now legally able to take a 10,000 handshakes from the iowa city or madison Ford dealership group their choice of school won't be limited to the big dollar schools. Even Rutgers donors have big pockets and once not beholden to the NCAA rules, it could level the playing field for these recruiting classes much much more.