Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mathews Switchback Broadhead Problems - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:29 PM
Keeper

Default Mathews Switchback Broadhead Problems

I found a Mathews Switchback XT in almost new condition on ebay. The guy bought it new as a spare because he liked the current one he had. The bow sat in storage for years until I got it. I brought it in to the archery shop and had it checked over and put a new string on it just as precaution because it is 8 years old. Brand new Ripcord release, blackgold sight, carbon express maxima 350. The bow is awesome with field points out to 40 yards (haven't tried farther). The problem is that it won't shoot broadheads very good at all. I tried Muzzys 3 blade and Trocar, grim reaper fixed and expandable, and Nap fixed. I have never had Broadhead problems with 15 years of shooting a Mathews LX. Went back to field points and it's dead on? What's wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mathews Switchback Broadhead Problems

It needs tuned. It is a process to get it done right. Go on archerytalk forum and you can learn everything you need to stack those broad heads right on top of your field points. Most bows can be sighted in with piints and shoot just fine. Some will be in tune and shoot brodheads pretty good as well, but most need tuned.

One word of caution though, you can overdo it and spend way to much effort trying to get perfection on a hunting bow. When it gets good enough, stop, unless you want a new hobby.

Could also be arrow spine, but tuning it correctly will figure this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

I could see where you might have to tune it to a fixed blade.

But it does surprise me that the expandable did not fly well.

Would like to tell you to try another brand of expandable.

I have been using the NAP Spitfire 100 Gr. Since they started making them

and have had great results.

GOOD LUCK with that. I can remember how frustrating that use to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Wallhanger

I have a switchback XT and my field points and broad heads have the same point of impact. More than likely it's your arrow rest that needs a little tweaking. Paper tune your bow if you're not sure how to do this google it and watch a you tube video. If it's just a little off tune your bow to the broad heads and don't worry about the field points. I shoot XT Hunter 55/75 gold tips with either rage 100 gr or G5 Montecs just fine.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

Same bow samething I haven't noticed it until this year and have yet to have it tuned up since I got it. One thing to try is to switch your broadheads around to other arrows. For example arrows are (a,b,c) broadheads are (1,2,3). If A1 doesn't shoot well swap A with C. Now shoot C1 and see if that's any better.
NPAA #409
Old 10-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Keeper

What draw length and draw weight are you shooting?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_wi View Post
What draw length and draw weight are you shooting?
I'm curious what effect draw length and pounds would have to do with his problem?? I'm not an archery expert by any means. For conversation sake I'm shooting 30" of draw 55lbs
NPAA #409
Old 10-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumalunker View Post
I'm curious what effect draw length and pounds would have to do with his problem?? I'm not an archery expert by any means. For conversation sake I'm shooting 30" of draw 55lbs

It matters in comparison w arrow spine. If you are not shooting a heavy enough spine, your arrows will shoot inconsistently because of the flex allowed at release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk