Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
OnBoard Charging extension - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleofly View Post
Gents,

I’m installing a 3 bank onboard charger. I have to extend 2 battery leads to reach the bow of my boat from the stern. Has anyone every done this? The ones that come with it are 6’ I’m going to need to be 16’.
I called the manufacturer but all I got for a response was it will void the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you go right here. Minn Kota makes this very easy. You just need a way to crimp this and then heat it up to heat shrink. If you forget to put the heat shrink on, just get some electrical tape and wrap up the wire in that to cover it up and then blast a heat gun on it. https://amzn.to/2YqkCri

If you do not have something to strip the wires and crimp the splicer butt connector, here's a tool that will help you do that: https://amzn.to/2Y0Z3yj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleofly View Post
I actually returned the charger lol. Purchased a Minn Kota MK330D and extension cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smart move. I am surprised that you were not offered the extension cables as a solution when you spoke with the manufacturer. Poor service? Vote with your feet!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I have added to the middle of those cables (same manufacture) by using the same diameter wire and soldering the connections........then shrink tubing and finally electrical tape over the tubing. Never had a problem. The manufacture wants you to purchase their product which of course pricey.

If you don't have faith in your skills then purchase the extension leads.

Bob
I am putting a charger in my boat for the first time, I have a house battery in the bow and a cranking battery in the back. Both are wired together so when my motors are running both are charging. The issue I have is that the two batteries are approx. 20' apart and I cannot centrally locate the charger. So do I extend the lead with 12 AWG wire to reach 20' or do I just hook the charger up to one battery and it will charge both? Not sure what to do with this set up?
Lowrance HDS-12 Live
Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon w/3 in 1
Lowrance Outboard Pilot w/Remote
Lowrance VHF Link-8
TrollMaster Pro 2
Fish Hawk X4
Cisco Tracks, Masts & Rod Holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSH Kucinski View Post
I am putting a charger in my boat for the first time, I have a house battery in the bow and a cranking battery in the back. Both are wired together so when my motors are running both are charging. The issue I have is that the two batteries are approx. 20' apart and I cannot centrally locate the charger. So do I extend the lead with 12 AWG wire to reach 20' or do I just hook the charger up to one battery and it will charge both? Not sure what to do with this set up?
I would MUCH prefer both batteries to be independently charged by a 2 bank charger or use 1 charger for each battery.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 11-19-2019, 01:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Technically yes it will charge both, you have them hooked together so it's really just one big 12v cell anyway. But , I'm with Bobby on this one, get a 30 amp, dual bank charger, extend one set of leads and charge each one independently. That way each battery is getting 15 amps and charging alot quicker than letting one bank charge both.

Also do you have a switch to isolate each battery? I ask this because if one battery starts to have problems, say a shorted cell, if they are connected it will affect the other battery. I'd have them on a switch, connect them while outboard is running to charge them both then isolate them when the big motor goes off.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon

Last edited by Ltrain; 11-19-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Technically yes it will charge both, you have them hooked together so it's really just one big 12v cell anyway. But , I'm with Bobby on this one, get a 30 amp, dual bank charger, extend one set of leads and charge each one independently. That way each battery is getting 15 amps and charging alot quicker than letting one bank charge both.

Also do you have a switch to isolate each battery? I ask this because if one battery starts to have problems, say a shorted cell, if they are connected it will affect the other battery. I'd have them on a switch, connect them while outboard is running to charge them both then isolate them when the big motor goes off.
I'm looking at a 2 Bank, 20 AMP Charger. So run one lead to the house battery and extend the other lead to the cranking battery, approx. 20'? Yes I do have a switch and can separate them when the bog motor is off.
Lowrance HDS-12 Live
Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon w/3 in 1
Lowrance Outboard Pilot w/Remote
Lowrance VHF Link-8
TrollMaster Pro 2
Fish Hawk X4
Cisco Tracks, Masts & Rod Holders
Old 11-19-2019, 04:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I'm looking at a 2 Bank, 20 AMP Charger. So run one lead to the house battery and extend the other lead to the cranking battery, approx. 20'? Yes I do have a switch and can separate them when the bog motor is off.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Use a combiner switch ($70) on the cable connecting the two batteries. A combiner disconnects the batteries when there is a demand so that the crank battery doesn’t discharge when a load is on the house battery assuring reliable engine starting. The combiner closes when the crank battery is full and charging so that the house battery receives a charge when the main engine is running.

Since a combiner allows 2 batteries to fully charge when a single bank shore charger is used, it is not necessary to add a second bank charger or another single bank charger. Consider that optional. The most important element is the combiner for safety, best performance and longer battery life.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

That's what i would do
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs