Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Turkey thigh and legs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up Turkey thigh and legs

My family had a successful turkey hunt this spring. I normally fillette the breast meat off and cook it in strips with a little flower and olive oil, the kids love it. However, I never cooked the legs or thighs. I was always told to cook them on high heat on a cedar board for 1 hour, disgard and remaining flesh and season the board to taste. In other words they are too tough and full of bones to eat.

I just couldn't see wasting any more meat so I tried slow cooking it in a crock pot. I cooked the thigh and drum with onion, garlic salt pepper and a can of chicken broth. After 4-5 hours I deboned the meat and set in the fridge. The next day I cooked the meat in the crock for 5-6 more hours on low. It was awsome. I served it on a bun with horseraddish and cheese. To my supprise the kids and wife loved it. It did not taste much like turkey, more like pulled beef. Still it was very good.

Good luck to the rest of you turkey hunters and hope you try the dark meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Wallhanger

Take the legs off and toss them. If you have to cook the meat for 10 hour to make it eatable it is worthless meat. For the cost of a couple shotgun shells you can buy a nice pot roast. Not to mention the cost of electricity cooking it for 10 hours.

Last edited by eriksat1; 04-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

seems a crock pot, or pressure cooker, is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
Take the legs off and toss them. If you have to cook the meat for 10 hour to make it eatable it is worthless meat. For the cost of a couple shotgun shells you can buy a nice pot roast. Not to mention the cost of electricity cooking it for 10 hours.
If it was only about the cost, going hunting (or fishing) wouldn't make much sense. I think it's good ethics to use what you harvest.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Wallhanger

I've cooked the complete bird several times, never had any issue with it being tough. I think those that try it usually find the same. Even baked a whole wild bird once stuffed with apple/raisin stuffing in a large pan with lid, turned out awesome, not much different than a butterball, and I dont like turkey much anyway, even jenni-o's or Butterballs.

Kids do like bacon wrapped breast strips thought too.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Keeper

Agree with V-Bay... You can also take the wings, legs and breasted out carcass and make a soup
Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Wallhanger

With the cost of food these days we waste NOTHING around this house any more. Any cut of meat I use to throw to the dog's gets consumed now.
I never thought I would see the day I'd eat a chicken back but it's become my favorite of the yard bird.
I cooked a 10lb Ham yesterday. After a great Dinner I packed three Ziploc bags, two to the freezer and one to the frig for sandwiches the next few days lunch.
I cook a pot of those no-name brand of Purple Hull Peas with some of that Ham and a bowl of Rice make a great Dinner with a cake of cornbread.
I use to laugh at the old folks talking about living on fixed income and doing things different. I don't laugh anymore, I are them now.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

I don't hunt turkey but have friends that do, they all say the same thing the legs are garbage, and yes they have tried every possible way to cook them pressure cooker, crock pot, par boil, still like eating the soul of a old shoe.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

I don't know what to say, I've done it more than once, and it was good and tasty and very much tender enough to eat, no more tough than any store bought bird. I've had tough legs from them and I am sure plenty people don't eat legs from butterball either. Turkey legs have a lot of tendons and little bones.

Sometimes I think people think Turkeys legs are the same as chickens, even the smoked turkey legs at Disney are tougher than a chicken leg, and that is the greatest place on earth, just don't look for a beer in the magic kingdom.

Not trying to start anything, but my results are different, maybe it is what the turkeys eat, or how old they are? I too have heard they are too tough to eat from a lot of guys, I think mostly because they dont want to or know how to clean the bird to get them out, it is so easy to just breast them out. No different than any wild game I'm sure, a good percent of it gets freezer burn and never eaten, even if it is just the best parts like the breast.

Many years ago I learned to stop killing things I wasn't going to eat or didn't like to eat, like woodcock, geese, ducks.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Wallhanger

I guess you can do what you want with the birds but I have always boned then and ground it into burger. Why waste the leg and wing meat, when you can grind and grill.