Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
f300 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-21-2019, 05:05 PM
winterizze question

Default f300

Anybody own an f300? If so, when you want to run muffs on it do you tape up the high water pick up vents so it will draw enough water? Not much online and don't have owners manual. Can't find much info on it. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=643353
Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 PM
Slot Fish

That what I do on my 350 SCi Verado.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Keeper

Dealer taped the ports on mine when running on muffs after changing oil and lower unit oil.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

F300,

Rather than using Muffs for engines like this; it is more fool proof to submerge the lower unit in a container of water so that the entire lower leg is underwater. That way, no matter where the pickup is located- the water pump will pump water.

A friend down the street fried his new water pump impeller because his particular muffs did not get water to the pump correctly.

Pretty easy to use an appropriately sized garbage can to submerge the lower unit. Also, any time when working on the engine and you want to be out of the water - it is not a bad idea to remove the prop. That way a spinning prop does not chew up anything and or if the lower unit is submerged, with no prop, a spinning shaft does not blow the water out of the water container.

Best wishes.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:47 PM
Slot Fish

They make the muffs to plug the holes on the front of the lower unit but to slap a strip of duct tape over them does the same thing. If you'd rather wrestle a garbage can or tank full of water, have at it!!

Old 11-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

MT,
You never have to wrestle a full garbage can of water to do your motor running.

Rather, take a 5 lb empty garbage can and put it around the lower unit.

Fill the garbage can with water.

Start and run your motor as needed.

Tip the motor up and as you tip up the motor, tip over the garbage can and drain the water from the garbage can.

Then, take the 5 lb can and store it as required.

No fuss, no muss, and no burned up water pumps as happened with my neighbor when he did not fully immerse his lower unit in water.

Take care
Old 11-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
A friend down the street fried his new water pump impeller because his particular muffs did not get water to the pump correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

No fuss, no muss, and no burned up water pumps as happened with my neighbor when he did not fully immerse his lower unit in water.

Take care
I'm confused. Was he using the in-correct muffs, that did not properly supply the water pump, or did he not have the water level in the garbage can high enough to submerge the water pump?

If you're going to take the time to dream-up these stories, take a couple of extra minutes to review what you previously posted.

HRG
Old 11-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Slot Fish

All I have to say is, in the 33 years and 7 boats I've owned, I've never burned up a water pump from putting the muffs on incorrectly or from not using the right ones.
Some people apparently shouldn't even try this simple procedure. I work around several that fall in this catagory!!

Old 11-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Wallhanger

I purchased a plastic barrel, cut it down added a drain plug. I have run all my motors in it, have had it for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2138.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	313846  
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed