Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cost to Finish Garage - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Keeper

Here is what I got back on a quote from a woman I work with. Her husband does this for a living and has his own business doing this kind of work. Reviews of his work have been very good.

Please let me know your thoughts as I have no clue what drywall, texture or epoxy costs. The paint quote seems reasonable and I might even tackle that myself.

Tape and float: $1,300

Texture: $700 for orange peel texture or $1,500 for plaster/texture like in houses

Painting: $700

Epoxy would be in late spring or summer. Looking at $1,500.

Thanks,

Crest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

I'll jump in on the painting. My garage has a similar. nearly 12' ceiling height, it was a huge PITA to paint the ceiling off of conventional stepladders. I should have rented a roll-around scaffold to make it easier.

If the $700 includes the walls and ceiling for a 33' x 25' space, I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

HRG
Old 10-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Keeper

Normally for ceilings and walls I use a roller with an extension handle. The worst thing is the sore arms an neck from working above my head. No ladders
Old 10-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Wallhanger

My hired guy used a paint gun for my garage. I was moving houses so it was a little easier. The garage was already empty.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 PM
mk cant log in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestSuperHawk View Post
Here is what I got back on a quote from a woman I work with. Her husband does this for a living and has his own business doing this kind of work. Reviews of his work have been very good.

Please let me know your thoughts as I have no clue what drywall, texture or epoxy costs. The paint quote seems reasonable and I might even tackle that myself.

Tape and float: $1,300

Texture: $700 for orange peel texture or $1,500 for plaster/texture like in houses

Painting: $700

Epoxy would be in late spring or summer. Looking at $1,500.

Thanks,

Crest
Those prices look very reasonable. I'd actually expect the floor to be a bit more. He's quoted about $2/sq.ft. Around here they run about $3/sq.ft. I'd make sure that it includes floor grinding, not just acid etch.

Otherwise, I'd sign him up in a minute.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.garagejournal.com/
Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk cant log in View Post
Those prices look very reasonable. I'd actually expect the floor to be a bit more. He's quoted about $2/sq.ft. Around here they run about $3/sq.ft. I'd make sure that it includes floor grinding, not just acid etch.

Otherwise, I'd sign him up in a minute.
His price was for an acid etch only.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:58 PM
mk cant log in

Quote:

I figured so at that price. If your floor is 13 years old, personally I'd want it the top layer of dirt/grime/oils/rubber, etc. ground off for it to last a long time. Acid will etch concrete but won't remove dirt, rubber, etc.

Mine was 30 yrs. old when they did it 12 years ago. It looks as good today as when they did it.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I'd go with the concrete surface removed. We used to do automotive plants, and with all the traffic and heavy equipment those floors saw, they were still intact years later. That company wouldn't even do epoxy on a floor unless they shot blasted it first.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk cant log in View Post
I figured so at that price. If your floor is 13 years old, personally I'd want it the top layer of dirt/grime/oils/rubber, etc. ground off for it to last a long time. Acid will etch concrete but won't remove dirt, rubber, etc.

Mine was 30 yrs. old when they did it 12 years ago. It looks as good today as when they did it.
Actually the flor is getting close to 20 years old. I will have it ground even if it means using a different contractor.

Anybody got any thoughts on the drywall tape and float? Orange peel cost?

Thanks!