Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leadcore on Mille Lacs? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Big Rig

Default Leadcore on Mille Lacs?

Just returned from Mille and everything caught from my boat was by Lindy rigging livebait. The whole time I was wondering about trolling cranks. Does leadcore trolling work on that lake? I was dying to try it but none of the others in my boat had a lead set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 11:32 AM
A suggestion

Default RE: Leadcore on Mille Lacs?

Most of the folks I know that troll cranks on Mille Lacs either do it in shallower water or pull use three-way rigs with a 12"-18" dropper and a 3'-5' snell. For my money, nothing beats a live bait rig on the Pond.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Up North

Several years ago Steve Bissett had an artcile in the inFisherman on running leadcore and cranks on Mille Lacs. I know he has done well with this set up.

I know others that have used snap weights or downriggers with cranks to do quite well. I've had good success with it too.

Yes, rigs are a lot easier to fish because it's right below the boat and doesn't take a lot of set up. But cranks can put a lot of large fish in the boat and allows you to cover a lot of water fast. If you do it right and mark the spots you catch fish with cranks on your gps and go back to them with rigs you can have a uper day of fishing.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I troll cranks on Mille Lacs - deep water and shallow. I don't use lead core (although I think it would work fine). I use fireline and the smaller diameter allows cranks like the deep diving yozuri's and reef runners to get down to, and beyond 30' - that is even before adding snap weights. It is hard to find much water deeper than the mid 30's on Mille Lacs.

There are some guys that fish almost exclusively crank baits on Mille Lacs. I would guess I fish them more than most but my crank percentage is probably around 45% (90% in the fall).

As mentioned earlier, three ways with smaller cranks work well too. I often interchange between stick baits and spinners with three ways.

If your buddies would have let you... I'm guessing you would have caught fish with the presentation you wanted to try. More than what you caught with live bait? Who knows?
Old 06-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

The fish in Mille Lacs do not respond to cranks. If you see me out on the tundra doing what looks to be pulling cranks, I'm just trying to get the twist out of my line!! Just kidding, of course :)

Cranks work extremely well on the lake - you just need to figure out location and depth. I actually take more larger fish high in the water column than I do deep.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

The fish in Mille Lacs do not respond to cranks. If you see me out on the tundra doing what looks to be pulling cranks, I'm just trying to get the twist out of my line!! Just kidding, of course :)

Cranks work extremely well on the lake - you just need to figure out location and depth. I actually take more larger fish high in the water column than I do deep.