Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sighting in a 30-06 - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Keeper

I really do wish you the best of luck with it. I've owned lower end scopes in my younger years, A lot of bad experiences with them as well. I'm done with those all together. But, as my Dad always said, Son, you gotta learn the hard way, don't ya?

Just last month one of buddies kids that hunts with us showed up at camp after doing chores and I asked him if he was ready to go hunting and his reply was that his scope was broke so he couldn't. I told him let's go get it and see whats going on with it. Low and behold it was a BSA (could have been any cheap scope just as well) and all the cross hairs were laying over one their side. Luckily we (at least) had a farm king within 20 miles so off we go. He ended up with a Burris sluggun scope and 5 shots later we had it sighted in. The last thing you want to do is have that happen on a trip in the middle of nowhere,trust me. Think about having the opportunity of a lifetime at first light or last light, throwing the rifle to your shoulder to find nothing but a blurry mess staring back at you.

BTW, I'm tight as they come,but, I will not skimp on optics.

Last edited by whitedogone; 12-14-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 11:58 PM
Wallhanger

I hear ya Whitedog. I'll confirm it once more this weekend. If it's off, or i don't feel good about it, I'll have to go to emergency mode and get something decent and move on.
If is good, I'm taking it North and whacking a wolf.
I had read there was a time frame where there was a batch of scopes where the reticles coming off the glass were an issue.

Last edited by johnboat; 12-15-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Wallhanger

Went out today to confirm........it was like sighting it in all over again. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

After 6 shots I drove in to Scheel's and had them strap on a Vortex. If I'd have been able to use the money I spent on rounds the last few months I'd have been able to upgrade to their Razor Series! Lol

12 shots later, I've got a 1inch group. I will hopefully tighten it up the next few days and am thankful for the advice (thanks White dog, if our paths ever cross, the beer is on me) and the warm weather!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Wallhanger

Good move!
All my scopes are getting old and just had a Redfield lose its clarity, couple years back I had a Tasco 3x9 TR go bad after about 40 years of hunting with it in every kind of weather imaginable. I saw that Dicks has a 25% off sale and just ordered a 2x10x42 G3 Steiner to put on a primary hunting gun.
Bushnell bought out Tasco, and Leupold bought out Redfield, when I called Bushnell about getting the Tasco repaired they said they no longer had parts for it, Leupold doesn't honor the warranty on the older Redfields! Oh well SOOL on those two!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

The time I spent on sighting it in was time, and money, well spent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_085615_1515966923338.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	283090  
Old 01-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Keeper

:
Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedogone View Post
:
X2: Congrats on getting a wolf!
Old 11-21-2018, 05:42 AM
Minnow

Wouldn't it be better off with something like this: https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-hd, I wonder? Correct me if I am wrong, I am just a newbie, after all. But personally I'd buy something with more long-lasting quality...