Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
umbrella rig - for walleyes? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Wallhanger

I tried the 'Bama Rig in Canada a few years back. I thought it would be a good pike rig but accidentally caught a walleye on it on my first cast. I had pike follow-ups but no takers. After that - nada. The lodge owner was fascinated with the rig so I left it with him. FYI - I had to leave one of the arms as a dummy because of the 4 hook rule in Ontario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Supporting Vendor

The Troll Master app has 2 options for umbrella rigs. One of them is the larger style that are typically used in salt/brackish water (this has yellow shads on each arm in the graphic below). The smaller one (shown with white shads in the graphic) is the Striper Sniper ultralight rig which is a great size for freshwater.

You can use this app to predict depth of a wide range of umbrella rigs. Just enter the weight of your rig and the app will take care of the rest.

Thanks,
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	umbrella1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	312214   Click image for larger version

Name:	umbrella2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	312216  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Keeper

Default umbrella rigs

put some together to use here in Minnesota...4 arms w/willow blades 15 inch leader to crankbait in the middle.......caught walleyes first time out alot of drag for sure used leadcore to control depth just wanted to see if they would catch walleyes " they did" my2cents !!!!
Old 08-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Wallhanger

I remember thinking how ridiculous these things were 25 years ago in salt water.

Just drag a net, no thanks.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:05 PM
Minnow

We use them on Ft Peck especially over deep water/Cisco bait balls. Last week I put two out on leadcore and a big jig/swim bait tied on 16 inches of 20 lb fluorocarbon when the breeze died off and the bite quit. We got two 26 inch walleye and a big pike over the next half an hour out of 20 feet of water. I think they get turned on by all the flash.

Just another tool.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Splitshot,
In all of my years of fishing various fish species I have found that the different fish that I have fished, it seems that the Salmonidae family of fish - seem to be the most susceptible to multiple flashing type lures. It seems that they like the flash and perhaps seem to be schools of minnows to them. i.e. various trout, and salmon species of fish.

Northern and Musky seem to respond to single type flashes like one or two spinners.

But, over the years when fishing for Walleyes, it seems that if anything they seem to respond better to more muted or smaller and single spinners, rather than larger or multiple spinners.

Perhaps others have had different experiences, but I simply do not use multiple spinner rigs of any sort when fishing for walleye, because there are other methods that seem to be many times more productive.

Perhaps, different waters, with different environments respond differently than the fish in the waters that I tend to fish.

Be safe
Old 08-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Keeper

Default umbrella walleyes

Rew..seems you really haven't spent much time pulling umbrella rigs for eyes my first single spinner eye took way longer to produce a walleye strike ...we had a dozen on brellas in and 90 minute span... tip....... matching the blades greatly improves success .....