Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Backing up your trailer at the boat ramp - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Keeper

Default Backup assist a lot easier to use than a digital VCR.

Purchased a 2017 F-150 with the backup assist in October of 2017. Read the instruction manual, watched some YouTube videos and thought I can do that and I did. Went out to a vacant parking lot on a sunny afternoon in late October and practiced. Got pretty good with it but never really comfortable. Never used it for almost the next 2 years. Don't think I even turned it on. Dang it, you've got a 4,500 lb. truck that cost you an arm and a leg and a 3,000 lb. boat and you're driving it with a knob and a tv screen with no hands on the wheel. Just not right. For some reason decided to use it last month while launching my boat. Worked great. Used it again to retrieve my boat. Again. Worked great. Key to making it work is pucker up, grit your teeth, go very "slow", use the screen and check the mirrors every few seconds too. I'll use it from now on. An old dog can use YouTube and learn new tricks. For my next one I'm gonna get my hand axe out and program that VCR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Minnow

Default Just ask someone to go down

I even trust my fam more to go down and quickly check the back compared to my sensors when backing.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
Mirrors. Camera to connect to trailer and then just plain old mirrors when vehicle and trailer are in motion together.

Marty
X2, that camera is the bomb for attaching to trailer. Most times I hit it the first time and with a dual axle trailer, they are a bit hard to move side to side.
Ches.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

The biggest difference between mirrors and camera is the angle due to the mounting.
Camera is in the middle of the tailgate and only one.
Mirrors view down both sides of the vehicle and trailer.

Camera can get you in the water, but if you need to be close enough to the dock to step in or out of the boat you need to use mirrors.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Wallhanger

I have been backing trailers for 50 years so found it unsettling to use new technology. I can say that it is really useful in certain situations.

It is a game changer for ease of positioning the ball directly under the coupler when hitching up. After hitching, the camera loses its value and a driver needs to rely on mirrors and/or assistants as always.

I find that for making straight runs in reverse the system is superior to conventional control and practically eliminates the oversteering syndrome experienced with backing straight.

A downside is that the system will tend to lose the visual reference point on the trailer when making sharp turns or in low light situations. When that happens, the system has to be shut off and the rig backed conventionally.

The system is really worth it if your driving partners are uncomfortable with reversing a trailer.

In order to set it up, the trailer needs to be connected in straight position. Use a tape measure to make about 4 or 5 measurements then input those measurements into the vehicle. That is probably a half hour, one time process. You name that trailer and select it at time you connect. I think the system allows data for up to ten trailers to be stored. It is not really practical to set up if you connecting an unfamiliar trailer in one-off situation.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
I have been backing trailers for 50 years so found it unsettling to use new technology. I can say that it is really useful in certain situations.

It is a game changer for ease of positioning the ball directly under the coupler when hitching up. After hitching, the camera loses its value and a driver needs to rely on mirrors and/or assistants as always.

I find that for making straight runs in reverse the system is superior to conventional control and practically eliminates the oversteering syndrome experienced with backing straight.

A downside is that the system will tend to lose the visual reference point on the trailer when making sharp turns or in low light situations. When that happens, the system has to be shut off and the rig backed conventionally.

The system is really worth it if your driving partners are uncomfortable with reversing a trailer.

In order to set it up, the trailer needs to be connected in straight position. Use a tape measure to make about 4 or 5 measurements then input those measurements into the vehicle. That is probably a half hour, one time process. You name that trailer and select it at time you connect. I think the system allows data for up to ten trailers to be stored. It is not really practical to set up if you connecting an unfamiliar trailer in one-off situation.
DW,
What you are talking about is beyond the scope of the original question. The op did not ask about "Ford's trailer backup assist" he asked about backing up using the camera/dash screen.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
DW,
What you are talking about is beyond the scope of the original question. The op did not ask about "Ford's trailer backup assist" he asked about backing up using the camera/dash screen.
What part of “...F-150 with the backup assist ...” contained in the OP first sentence don’t you understand? What’s your point? No dog around today to kick?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
What part of “...F-150 with the backup assist ...” contained in the OP first sentence don’t you understand? What’s your point? No dog around today to kick?
DW,
I stand by my comment. here is the entire original post #1 made by Stringbean;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean View Post
How many of you have switched from the old tried and true method of steering using the rear view mirrors as opposed to using the video screen in your dash?
I don't read where he says anything about the vehicle in his first and only sentence.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
I've played with it a little bit, but I think I am better at backing up manually than the computer is. What it will be nice for is if I take friends/customers out on the water, maybe they can help with the loading/retrieving duties.
May or may not be true, don't have it to play with but this sure sounds a lot like the people that used to claim the same thing about anti-lock brakes...
Old 12-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Keeper

Default mirrors

Definitely mirrors for me. Besides, when backing up to load my boat, I put my tailgate down, so that camera lens is showing nothing but pavement.

Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
Yamaha 90 HP 4 stroke
Suzuki 9.9 EFI with iTroll G3
Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2
Lowrance Carbon 9
MinnKota Terrova US2 80# w/iPilot
Trailmaster trailer
Berlin Boat Covers bimini