Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Toro mowers ? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2019, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshrman-r72 View Post
Bought a Toro Personal Pace in 1999 and still using. Best mower I've had.
Did you buy the PP with the two-stroke Suzuki engine? I'm surprised nobody mentioned this mower on the thread. That engine was supposed to be good for 30K hours. Back in the day it was considered to be the best mower around.

I have one that I bought a few yeas back - as a backup. It's nearly mint and runs/cuts great. I don't use it much anymore - only to run it for maintenance purposes. I think I'll probably sell it this summer to make room in my garage for other junk.

I had an old Toro push mower with a B&S engine. The mower had molded plastic wheels. It had so many hours/miles on it that the wheels were worn thru to the point of being flat-spotted. One has to wonder how many miles it took to do that?
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Minnow

I have a 20 year old Toro super recycler personal pace mower w/6.5HP Briggs engine. Still starts on the first pull. Other than standard maintenance (oil, plug, air filter, sharpen blade) no repairs and/or visits to the shop. I have had zero down time for the past 20 years. We now have a larger lot so my wife thought it would be a good idea to look at a Toro Timemaster / 30" dual blade mower. In the past week we purchased and returned 2 Timemasters to Home Depot. The first one started ok, but kept surging and mis-firing from the get go. The second one started and ran/idled without the surging and mis-firing but had a "pop" each time the right rear wheel made a revolution. I looked at it and saw it was a plastic gear shield that was popping as the wheel turned. Compared it to the other side and could clearly see the fit was not right. Pulled the wheel, checked the shield to see if it was warped. It was not. What was warped was the axle mount that the shield attached to. Packed it back up, made another trip to Home Depot and decided to live with the 20 year old mower. When it blows up I will look at a Honda, but without the drive paddles. My mother in-law has that Honda drive and it is the most uncomfortable set up I have ever cut with. Personal Pace is great, just not a Timemaster mower especially for a brand new $1,000 mower. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-13-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Other than I bought a Honda lawnmower back in about 1992 - I can't really tell you much about it.

I come home from work, the wife has the lawn mowed, and I've never been able to use it.

So I guess it's pretty good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Other than I bought a Honda lawnmower back in about 1992 - I can't really tell you much about it.

I come home from work, the wife has the lawn mowed, and I've never been able to use it.

So I guess it's pretty good?
See, you broke her in the right way....... my bride has the lawn done by the time I get home from fishing and if I call ahead she has the fish cleaning table set up and her fillet knife honed.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Essdad,
If you want a !,000 30 inch mower - here is one that will do the job.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/tro...15|11376|11385
Old 05-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Essdad,
If you want a !,000 30 inch mower - here is one that will do the job.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/tro...15|11376|11385
The little rear engine riders are very useful for smaller lawns. I have one - I cut the 'rough' part of my yard with a 15yo Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki engine - rear wheel self-propelled. It starts on the first pull every year. I live in a very rocky area - rocks, as you know, migrate to the surface over the years. It's easier for me to work around them with the CC walk-behind.

A few years ago I spotted a rear-engine Snapper at an auction near me. 30"/electric start/full bagger attachment/12.5hp B&S engine. That's a lot of power for a small mower. I got to the sale just after it started - I assumed the mower would go later in the afternoon.

As I was walking down the road to the sale I heard the auctioneer say "We're gonna sell this mower now". I cut thru a little bit of woods and it was the mower I was interested in. It looked new. The 'vent spews' or 'hair' was still on all the tires. The sellers had not put a battery in it so people didn't know if it would run. Turns out it would have started on the first pull. I bought it for $500. When I got home I I jumped it with another battery and it fired right up. I don't know if Snapper still makes rear-engine riders. Back then this mower went for more than $1500 new.

Don't be afraid to look for a good used mower.