Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2011 crestliner 1750 fish hawk - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Minnow

Default 2011 crestliner 1750 fish hawk

I bought this boat last year and I'm going to upgrade my trolling motor. I found a good deal on a Minn Kota 112 36volt, it looks like I can fit 3 batteries in the box but not sure? Just seeing if anyone has this same set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danassels View Post
I bought this boat last year and I'm going to upgrade my trolling motor. I found a good deal on a Minn Kota 112 36volt, it looks like I can fit 3 batteries in the box but not sure? Just seeing if anyone has this same set up?

Your boat, but 24 volts should work fine.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Sportfish 1750 which is slightly heavier, with a 12v. I find that only one battery in the front compartment causes the boat to run bow heavy. If I had more than one trolling battery I would rig the batteries under the consoles. I suggest testing the load distribution with sandbags before making a battery location decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2019, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 2003 1750 Fish Hawk. I think the layout may be a little different on the newer models. I run a 65lb 24v motor and get plenty of run time and power. The batteries don't make the boat nose heavy at all.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I had a 36V 101 in my 1750 TS. No problems with battery storage in that boat.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 2004 Sportfish 1750 with 24 volt system. 2 batteries in front. It could be bow heavy but I don't fish from the bow. 70 lbs is enough to move my boat just fine.

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danassels View Post
I bought this boat last year and I’m going to upgrade my trolling motor. I found a good deal on a Minn Kota 112 36volt, it looks like I can fit 3 batteries in the box but not sure? Just seeing if anyone has this same set up?
I personally wouldn't do it. If you have an on board charger, you'll now need a 4 bank if you charge the starting motor and the three for the trolling motor. Plus, factoring in replacing three batteries instead of two when that time comes, along with the additional weight.

I would go with the Terrova 80 for that boat.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I've got a 2007 1750 fish hawk with a 24V 80# Terrova, and have never felt a need for a 36V trolling motor.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

My comment that my Sportfish 1750 is bow heavy is not based based on the appearance of the boat in the water or a propensity to swamp over the bow. Rather, it is based on observation of the spray position. The optimum position of spray visible from the driver when on plane is behind the driver (in a console boat) for maximum speed and efficiency. My boat spray pattern is usually in front of the driver position. On the flip side my boat is nearly impossible to induce porpoising. Buttom line if you put batteries in the front compartment it will slow the boat more than placement further aft. Adding three 65# batteries will result in noticeable loss of performance in any positition and I wouldn’t do it. That is why I advocate 12v motors on 17’ boats.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I had an older 1750 FH, 1999 model year, and more due to a buying opportunity than anything, ended up running a 36 volt front trolling motor.

Did I need one? No. But it was not worth +$1000 to get a 24 volt.

Was the boat bow heavey? No, not really. Certainly there was more weight in the bow, but it did not make the boat disappointing to fish out of.

The boat was overall - heavier in the water. The negative effects, were minor and didn't annoy me at all.

It did some things better - like keep the nose of the boat down when on plane to cut the waves instead of slamming into them mid-ship. But you can do that with prop selection too - so it's not necessary to add bow weight to keep the nose down - but if you add weight, you'll probably run a bow lifting prop like the Tempest.

Face it - my 1999 was only rated for 115-125 hp - it was not going to be a speed demon with or without a 36 volt trolling motor....

That being said - your newer 1750 FH had a redesigned interior and under deck storage that I did not have. So you'll know more about what fits and what does not fit in your newer floor plan than mine had.

All that said - I ran a kicker on mine too - so definitely - some of my weight came from extras on both ends of the boat.