Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question of Explorer Merc Combo - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Minnow

Default Question of Explorer Merc Combo

Hi All,

New member here that is looking to upgrade from my old 95 Laker/40 hp 2 stroke to an 2004 or newer Explorer 1600 or similar. Finding a nice boat of this vintage is the easier part but I'm concerned about earlier model 4 strokes. A couple of questions. Is a 60 hp 4 stroke enough motor for this boat? I'm looking for roughly 30 mph with a couple of people and average gear load. Second, does anyone have good, or not so good feedback on 2005 Merc 60 EFI motors? Others? From what I read, it looks like the 2003-2006 timeframe is when manufacturers switched from carbs to EFI.

Any experiences and feedback greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Back in 2006, I went shopping for a 1600/1700 Explorer tiller, and ended-up with a 1700. Put a 2005 Mercury 60 4S on it (which has EFI) and was disappointed in the performance. Sold the 60, put a 75 Opti, and ran it for 4 more years.

Fast forward to 2012, sold the 1700, ordered a 1650 Rebel XS tiller which, size-wise, is nearly identical to the 1600 Exp you're looking at. Current rig has a 60 4S on it, and equipped with a 13" pitch 4-blade Spitfire prop, can hit 34mph with just me in the boat, and planes OK with 2 guys.

If you're satisfied with 30mph, I'd probably drop down to a 12" Spitfire, watch the WOT rpms, and enjoy the rig.

HRG
Old 03-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

Welcome aboard... Mizzou.

Part of the answer depends on the engine brand, too.
As I recall, the 2004, Lund 1600 Explorer ran 30+/- with a Yamaha 60 four stroke.(?)
Pretty sure, however, the same boat with a BF60 Honda was slower.

I think most of the new 4 strokes perform better than those made 10-12 years ago. Same for boat models.

For example:
A newer Lund 1650 Rebel with a newer version Merc.60 four stroke runs better speed than that.
Even the new Lund 1750 Rebel XL runs 30+mph with that engine, too.

If you can try one out... take your hand held GPS with and see how she goes.

Again... welcome to Walleye Central.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Minnow

Default Thanks for the info guys

While I think I can spot a boat in good condition, I have less confidence in my ability to identify a good motor. All things considered dependability trumps speed for me. Probably true for most of us. I hear good things about the carbureted Hondas (pre-2006?) and even better about the newer models with EFI. I also read that the Mercs of the same vintage with EFI are strong motors and I'm sure that others are good choices as well. I just haven't researched.

Once I find the right Explorer (2004-2007) or Rebel (2009-2013) with a 60 or better I'll pull the trigger. They seem to be similarly priced for used boats and each a solid choice.

Tags
honda , lund explorer , mercury 60 , yamaha