Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Braided Line and Hook Cutter in your boat!!!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Braided Line and Hook Cutter in your boat!!!!

Hey everyone,
Just a reminder to all of you walleye guys to keep some 50# braid in your boat just incase you or someone you are fishing with....or a passing by boat needs assistance with hook removal.

I keep some in my boat and unfortunately had to use it on this latest trip to Erie to remove a hook embedded in my dads thumb.

We cut the hook off the bandit, then I used the braid to remove the hook quickly and easily from his thumb. This was the first time he ever saw it done, and it worked amazing to his delight.

I've done this to myself twice, so it works guys and gals. Example below but lots on the tube, if you take a close look on the second hook that took two pulls, they didn't tie the line to the hook well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMK-...rLeagueFishing
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack

Last edited by Pezman38; 06-28-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2021, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman38 View Post
Hey everyone,
Just a reminder to all of you walleye guys to keep some 50# braid in your boat just incase you or someone you are fishing with....or a passing by boat needs assistance with hook removal.

I keep some in my boat and unfortunately had to use it on this latest trip to Erie to remove a hook embedded in my dads thumb.

We cut the hook off the bandit, then I used the braid to remove the hook quickly and easily from his thumb. This was the first time he ever saw it done, and it worked amazing to his delight.

I've done this to myself twice, so it works guys and gals. Example below but lots on the tube, if you take a close look on the second hook that took two pulls, they didn't tie the line to the hook well enough.

I can attest that 10lb power pro works just fine...twice this year alone

Old 06-25-2021, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Over 30 years I have snatched embedded hooks three times. None had more than one barb buried and I used mono every time, once I doubled the line but I don't recall what weight line I used. I never tied the line to any of the hooks. Is that only necessary if more than one barb is buried?

One of my "patients" was a total stranger with a hook from a rattle trap buried in the palm of his hand. He did not know me from Adam and was quite apprehensive, but was sure relieved when it all went smoothly.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2021, 10:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I don't think the surgeon at the ER could have done a better job. Thanks for sharing.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Old 06-26-2021, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I have removed, from friends, more than several over the years, using the line technique. Once I took two out within 20 minutes of each other, the procedure works well.

Bill
Old 06-26-2021, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

I much prefer the this method . . . no cutter or fishing line needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqfoyAnszH0
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Myself and five fishing buddies would not equal 50 pounds of brains.

Last edited by Pezman38; 06-28-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Walleye Assassun View Post
Myself and five fishing buddies would not equal 50 pounds of brains.
LOL the beauty of being a mod...I have no idea what you are talking about now!!! :-)
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Old 06-28-2021, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

If I can add to your medical kit. Go to your local pharmacy and get a bottle of antibiotic spray with lidocaine. It is especially useful for kids or fishing partner who is a big baby. Spray it generously. Then remove hook and spray some more.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-376649
Old 06-29-2021, 04:25 AM
Minnow

Thanks for sharing that - I didn't know you can remove a hook like that (though I hope I'll never need it).