Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mack's Smile Blades or Plain? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Slot Fish

Are you folks that are using the slow death presentation (with or without the mack's blade), pulling them behind a bottom bouncer or just straight lining them in the shallows? Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Keeper

I mostly fish mine behind bouncers, but both pieces of hardware will work behind any weighting system you choose. All depends on depth, speed and structure.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
i do like the blades, but i just cant get the hooks to do what they are sposed to do, just cant master the spin;; steve
I have often had the same problem. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
90 Hp Mercury Optimax
HB 1199si, 898si, 858, Terrova 80 I-pilot Link
Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Keeper

Try tying a #12 swivel anywhere from 3-6" above the hook on your leader....that should take care of your spin (or lack there of) problem.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Keeper

the major problem i have is the worm will slide on the hook, i think it would be great if they would put barbs all along the length of the slow d. hook. steve,
Old 06-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
the major problem i have is the worm will slide on the hook, i think it would be great if they would put barbs all along the length of the slow d. hook. steve,
You need to use large, fresh crawlers kept cold. If they go limp they are no good for slow death. Has to be a firm lively crawler. In the nose, out at the band and slide it up the line if needed. Pinch off 1/2-3/4" behind the band and you are ready to go.

Best way I've found to keep my crawlers good for this is to use two containers, one buried down in the ice of the cooler and the other on top of the ice. I use from the on top and switch the containers every half hour or so.

For my harness or jig crawlers I use a 6 can hard coleman cooler 1/2 full of bedding and a frozen water bottle in there.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Wallhanger

Greetings Sjfishon,

Kevin 23 is spot on with the crawler and all that he said. I have found a couple of things with the worms that I feel are important. Fat and Sassy spin better than the ones that all of a sudden warm up and and go skinny. Next, make sure you get the hook fairly close to center on the head of the worm. Thread all the way down the worm and I like to go about a quarter of an inch or a little farther down the worm before I pull the hook out and pinch off the but. That helps to keep butt end of the worm farther down the bend of the hook. That is really the main component of making the worm spin. I like to use the Matzuo Model 910 Death Roll hooks with the swivel in the eye of the hook. If you are using this hook make sure not to bring the worm over the hook eye onto the swivel otherwise it really shuts down spinning. The hook has a small barb on the shank that helps prevent crawler slip. I also put a Spro #8 swivel several inches up from the hook to allow for a better spin. Also make sure that your leader material going from the hook to the bottom bouncer is about 10/12 pounds or greater. Joe
Old 06-12-2016, 04:47 AM
Minnow

OD
What size do you use.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

There are a few things that are important for slow death rigs. First of all, a good ball bearing swivel on the end of your main line is of major importance in my experience. Ball bearing swivels are important because your hook will turn much easier with a ball bearing swivel than a barrel swivel. Next, your leader must be made of a fairly stiff material or it will not spin properly. I like 15# Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon but there are a ton of lines on the market that will work. As far as the hook, there are many good ones on the market too and if you can't get it to spin properly, try bending the hook a bit more. It'll spin. They should start spinning somewhere around 0.8 mph in my experience. Hold it by the boat and watch it before fishing with it. If it doesn't spin right all it takes is a bit more of a crook in you crawler or a bit more bend in your hook. You don't want your crawler too long either. Pinch it off an inch or so past the hook in most instances, but there are exceptions to everything. You don't need live crawlers either. I've used GULP pinched crawlers for several years now with great success.
When using crawler harnesses too, many times leaving a droop in your crawler between hooks causing it to spin works very well also.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

I use 1/0 hooks. Joe