Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gates of the Mountains - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Minnow

Default Gates of the Mountains

I have been fishing Gates of the Mountains the past few weekends without any luck. I have been trying everything I have without any luck. Is there anyone on here that would be willing to share techniques for that body of water.
I have been seeing boats catching walleye, but everyone is as tight lipped as the walleye.

Self Sponsored Angler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

I'm not an expert, but did seem to catch fish there. I moved away from that area in 2005. I lived in Helena and fished there and Holter quite a bit. Frankly, walleye fishing there is as finicky as anywhere else. I'm a minnow guy. I had my best luck finding structure and gravel areas and drift jigging over those area. Bright colors worked well. We tipped with plastics, to take advantage of the current, but that wasn't necessarily a requirement.

Because of the bottom structure, I found bottom bouncers to be a challenge. I had heavier jigs to get down in higher current areas. I found the easiest fishing up stream in Canyon Ferry if the weather was good. What I liked about Gates of the Mountains was that even on a windy day, I could find somewhere that was protected and could fish.

I would also frequently put in at the landing on York Road, and fish just north of York Bridge where the river bends to the west along the East/North Shore. I would also move down stream and head up towards Lake Helena (Prickly Pear Creek) and fish near Lake Helena Road early in the spring.

It was pretty fun to be jigging for walleye and catch a trout.....
Old 03-25-2020, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Hunting,
You might send a personal message to T Mac about your fishing question.

He has fished the area, I believe and he may be willing to help you with your question.

Take care