Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Diesel vs gas - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmbkiller View Post
Unless you’re towing 5000+lbs every day all day a diesel is basically worthless. I’m sure there’s plenty of idiots on here that are gonna argue it, but at the end of the day I’m correct. I’ve done every scenario math wise and it doesn’t add up outside of my parameters. Just get a gas engine

I wouldn't say, "all day, everyday". I have a big diesel that I don't pull with every day. 90% of the time I don't pull anything. But in the summer I pull a 5th wheel and boat behind that. Good luck finding a gas truck that will do that. I'm not buying two trucks either, so I have one that does it all. But, if I wasn't pulling a heavy load some of the time, there is no way I would have a diesel.
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

I had the Jeep 2.8 4 cylinder diesel, and the Jeep 3.0 v6 diesel made by Mercedes. The 2.8 is a relatively crude engine; the Mercedes is a good one that has evolved and is still available.

The 2.8 was used for commuting more than 100,000 miles typically 50/50 highway and urban routes. It averaged about 24mpg in summer and 21 mpg in winter. Its mileage was about the same when towing as the Mercedes.

The Mercedes was mostly used for towing and averaged about 17mpg over about 60,000 towing miles. I once did a long distance Western US cross country not towing and saw 26mpg at 65 to 70 mph; and about 22mpg at 85 mph. That engine would have done better if it wasnt paired with a truck tranny with poor gearing for optimal mpg.

I started driving diesels in 2005 just as the price went up after low sulfur fuel hit the market. The comparison of diesel to gasoline cost varied considerably, but on average was about 20% more. My mileage improvement with diesel exceeded gasoline performance and believe that diesel saved fuel costs.

Both gasoline and diesel efficiency has improved mostly due to improvement in transmissions.

The cost for a diesel upgrade was much less, so it was easier to justify diesel then vs now.

The biggest consideration for me to selling the Mercedes engine was fear that if a problem arose it would be hard to get it fixed particularly on cross country trips. The biggest concern I have is insufficient competent diesel techs. The engine was flawless and only needed scheduled maintenance which I did myself.

I sold the GC Jeep with the Mercedes 3.0 when it developed vibration in the drive shaft at 90,000 miles which is an expensive repair on that vehicle (unrelated to the engine).
Old 03-31-2020, 01:21 PM
Keeper

Bought my F-350 about a year and a half ago. Yes, some tanks of fuel I can get 18 mpg with my truck if: I don't tow, don't drive over 55 and stay out of town. That said it does a remarkable job of towing my 5th wheel camper, and my boat. It also rides extremely well for a one ton truck. I love it.
I would not be afraid of a small diesel powered vehicle. With the new emissions systems they do not emit the black smoke and smell like a diesel.
From a purely economical standpoint, stick with gasoline. There is a place for a small diesel vehicle as their was years ago with the VW Rabbit, and a small diesel truck.
dvl2700

2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty, 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel
Old 04-03-2020, 03:04 PM
Wallhanger

Lot of variables here but most trucks Large trucks as soon as you add a diesel the rear end gears are changed you will never get great mileage and I don't care what anybody says about their favorite brand. Big trucks with diesels are designed to pull and they do that very well no comparison between diesel and gas. If equipped exactly the same trans and rear end gears the diesel will get better mileage most want to compare a diesel with 4:10 rear end & 6 speed trans with a gas truck with 3:50 or less gears and an 8 speed trans not the same animal. I have a 2012 3500 Ram dually Cummins diesel and when pulling the 35 ft camper it is the best vehicle I have ever had but daily driving and pulling my boat mileage sucks but I knew that going in. Good luck
Old 04-03-2020, 07:28 PM
Keeper

gas 3/4 ton has all the capability I've ever needed pulling my boats up to a 621....plenty of command in all situations. love diesel but feel like it would be a waste of money for me...unless I was pulling a big camper etc. or double pulling...then it would be epic and ride like a bigggg loooongggg cadillac.
4 Rivers Refuge Runners/PPF Woodduck Mud Motors
Old 04-06-2020, 03:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Here diesel costs 20% more than gasoline.
Diesel - 2.35
Gas - 1.96
If I average 18 mpg with my 6.2 gas GMC truck can I get a 20% increase with the 3.l diesel engine? Anyone out there getting 21-22 mpg average with your diesel truck? not one miracle trip but on average.

Technically, since you have the 6.2l you should run premium in it which makes fuel prices almost identical.
http://www.spokanegasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D

I also have a 6.2l and realize you can run less than premium grade as I do all the time. I normally run 89 in mine and average around 17mpg according to my onstar app. My 50 mpg average is actually around 14 since I use the car starter all the time which kills the mileage. The price of the engines is almost negligible so really it sounds like you might be further ahead with a diesel if you are taking into account the price of premium fuel. I have the max tow package with the 6.2 and can tow a little more weight if I had to than the 3l diesel with the max tow package. I will say, I am not sure I would want to get away from all the power of that 6.2l.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST 6.2l Crew Cab
2015 Nitro ZV18
200hp Optimax
15hp EFI Mercury Pro Kicker
Garmin electronics
(4) Garmin EM+ 93sv
Panoptix livescope
MinnKota Terrova 112
Minn Kota 15' talon
Old 04-06-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
Technically, since you have the 6.2l you should run premium in it which makes fuel prices almost identical.

I also have a 6.2l and realize you can run less than premium grade as I do all the time. I normally run 89 in mine and average around 17mpg according to my onstar app. My 50 mpg average is actually around 14 since I use the car starter all the time which kills the mileage. The price of the engines is almost negligible so really it sounds like you might be further ahead with a diesel if you are taking into account the price of premium fuel. I have the max tow package with the 6.2 and can tow a little more weight if I had to than the 3l diesel with the max tow package. I will say, I am not sure I would want to get away from all the power of that 6.2l.
I thought the owners manual spec'd 87
Old 04-06-2020, 08:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post

I thought the owners manual spec'd 87
Mine says premium fuel is recommended right on the fuel door. I know recommended does not mean required but when I bought mine I figured I would just consider premium fuel as part of ownership. But i still run 89 in it because my gas station only has non ethanol premium which is even more than normal premium. I only have around 800 miles on mine so I have only filled it up a few times. I will probably try 91 on the next tank to see if it gets better mpg.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST 6.2l Crew Cab
2015 Nitro ZV18
200hp Optimax
15hp EFI Mercury Pro Kicker
Garmin electronics
(4) Garmin EM+ 93sv
Panoptix livescope
MinnKota Terrova 112
Minn Kota 15' talon
Old 04-13-2020, 04:18 PM
Wallhanger

I can't say whether I'm right or wrong, but I have been pulling tandem with gas pickups since 1976. I haven't done it in a year because I bought a new fiver and decided not to have a hitch installed. I probably won't have one installed since I rent a lot 100 miles from here and spend the whole summer there.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

If not pulling a car hauler all summer racing I would not own a diesel pickup. The new gas engines are too good, but still cannot compare to the pure torque of a diesel. Diesel mileage is excellent, especially when the truck has a dry weight of eight thousand pounds.

Photo of my dash as I was just getting home from a parts run that was a four hundred mile round trip. Half interstate at 75 and the other half secondary roads at 55-60 mph. Not towing anything, just a parts run.

The diesel has it's downside(s). Higher initial cost, Higher fuel cost, Higher routine maintenance, Oil change is nearly eighty bucks at the dealership and DEF is a PITA.

Pooch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick trip odometer.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	317472  

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."