Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Water temp 45 - 50 jigging - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-30-2020, 08:35 PM
Keeper

Default Water temp 45 - 50 jigging

Water temp was around 45 - 50 depending on what part of the lake we fished. We started at 5:00 and fished till 7:30. I kept moving and we casted towards shore. We were using 1/8 ounce jigs with a minnow. I also switched to a plastic for awhile. We did not get one hit today, based on what I think the water is still to cold or we should have stayed into the night.

I realize there are multiple things that can change fishing but what is the optimal temp in the spring to really try this technique. I lost all my confidence out there today

wind was NE at about 5 mph - I tried to fish the wind blown shore first

thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 04:35 AM
Wallhanger

The fish are not scattered this time of year, theyíre near where they spawn. Telling us your general location and the kind of lakes youíre fishing would help. Also is the lake a walleye factory with good reproduction or a stocked lake? Use your electronics to locate them before you start casting. It saves time even though you donít have a line in the water.

What do the locals say about the lake? Is a good day 5 fish or 25? Walleye are hard to find for me locally so Iím happy to get a few in a mixed bag of other species. A really good day around here would be a terrible day on Erie or in Canada.

This video and many others like it will help you pin them down even if youíre in Michigan where there are few structures like they describe. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl54SSMWZQ0
Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Water temp was around 45 - 50 depending on what part of the lake we fished. We started at 5:00 and fished till 7:30. I kept moving and we casted towards shore. We were using 1/8 ounce jigs with a minnow. I also switched to a plastic for awhile. We did not get one hit today, based on what I think the water is still to cold or we should have stayed into the night.

I realize there are multiple things that can change fishing but what is the optimal temp in the spring to really try this technique. I lost all my confidence out there today

wind was NE at about 5 mph - I tried to fish the wind blown shore first

thanks for any info
You aren't the first walleye fisherman to go out and not get a bite. I think we've all been there at one time or another in our lives and if anyone claims otherwise I'm not sure that I'd believe them.
I forget which walleye angler coined the phrase "The fish are either shallow, deep or somewhere in between" but as corny as it sounds, it's true. Keep looking and you'll find them....and don't lose confidence. It's part the walleye game.
Walleye fishing has a way of humbling every angler now and then.
Good luck.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 05:10 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies, I think I am taking tonight off and back out tomorrow
Old 04-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Wallhanger

Thats spawn temps, or even some post spawn. I'd be trolling cranks and covering water. If you have planer boards, run them on the inside and pull some shallow cranks right along rock lines and gravel bars. Think 5-10' of water during the day and 2-5' in low light. If you have to jig, rippin raps and bulky plastics with action. Heavier weights, snap jigging and covering water. The fish will eat this time of year, you dont have to coax them. Females are putting on the calories to drop those eggs and the males are chasing and eating whatever they can because they are pissed off and horny.

If your lake has no natural reproduction, they will still follow the same patterns and try to spawn. Just unsuccessful. In lakes, wind is a big part of fishing this time of year. Banks where the wind parallels the shore to make a current, with small rock or gravel bottom is where I would start. Doesn't have to be a shore line either, a sunken reef that has that shallow water on top is a great place to start. Fish it just like it was a shore line.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:29 PM
Keeper

Thanks for info, holding out until tomorrow. light rain and cloudy, I have had better luck on this lake with clouds and crappy weather.

I have some decent size plastic, I would like to find some bigger minnows. Some of the videos I have watched you guys are using some big minnows.

thanks again
Old 04-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Minnow

You're sort of unlucky with the timing. Water temps of 45 to 50 degrees is actually usually right in the middle to tail end of the spawn (walleye spawn can start as early as 42 and run as late as 52).

It is likely that the fish are still spawning and haven't left or dispersed yet - they're probably still rammed in the bays, up creeks/rivers, on reefs, you name it. Pretty tough timing all around man. Just gotta get back out there, sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Cheers,
RJR
Old 04-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Keeper

Thanks our water temp is still 50, we just got hit with a cold front and sleet and low of 25 tonight. Talked to a few and it sounds like the post spawn bite should happen mid-April but not sure what this cold weather is probably going to change everything. Looks like lows of 25 all this week also.

I am trying to keep moving and jigging, which is probably my favorite way to fish for Walleye if I can find them.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Thanks our water temp is still 50, we just got hit with a cold front and sleet and low of 25 tonight. Talked to a few and it sounds like the post spawn bite should happen mid-April but not sure what this cold weather is probably going to change everything. Looks like lows of 25 all this week also.

I am trying to keep moving and jigging, which is probably my favorite way to fish for Walleye if I can find them.
Hey,

That cold front is likely to slow things down even more than they already are. It very well could even prolong the spawn for potentially another week. I would assume however that by the third week of April, the post spawn bite will be in full force.

Take care,
RJR
Old 04-19-2020, 04:20 PM
Keeper

our water should start to warm back up this week, 47 today

will they move back into the shallow post spawn