Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Standard HDS vs Live - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-22-2020, 08:12 AM
Slot Fish

Default Standard HDS vs Live

I had a Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3 on my boat. Like to put another 12 Gen 3 on new boat this summer. I was really impressed with the chirp technology on my HDS. Chirp in 2D sonar was quiet an improvement. Question is this...What benefit would an HDS live give me over my standard HDS Gen 3 when talking exclusively about 2D sonar ??? Is HDS sonar (chirp) same as the 2D sonar on LIVE unit (I assume running chirp as well)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Habitual Eyer;6413050]I had a Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3 on my boat. Like to put another 12 Gen 3 on new boat this summer. I was really impressed with the chirp technology on my HDS. Chirp in 2D sonar was quiet an improvement. Question is this...What benefit would an HDS live give me over my standard HDS Gen 3 when talking exclusively about 2D sonar ??? Is HDS sonar (chirp) same as the 2D sonar on LIVE unit (I assume running chirp as well)?[/QUOTE
If all you want is 2d chirp and you have a quality chirp transducer now, there is no need for you to move up to a Live unit
Old 03-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Wallhanger

I really haven't seen any vast improvements in 2d sonar since the gen2 non touch versions- it was great then. If you're looking for better looking 2d sonar images with your current equipment, look at a Simrad NSS unit. Better looking screen in my opinion plus the best user interface I've ever come across
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 07:46 AM
Wallhanger

The only thing I will add. I really like the solar max screens starting on the carbon units compared to the gen 3.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Slot Fish

Default Hds

That was my next question...when considering just 2D sonar...does the Carbon (12") have an advantage over a 12" HDS gen 3 ?? Sounds like there may be some advantage worth considering.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:33 PM
Wallhanger

The carbons are noticeable faster changing screens Or settings then the the gen 3. think you should look at either the carbons or live. The gen 3 are getting pretty old. Would be hard to find new ones.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM
Wallhanger

The Carbons came with dual-core processor which gives more processing power and speed. Such as screens load faster, functions are faster etc. The HDS Live 12 and 16" displays have Quad Core processors.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual Eyer View Post
That was my next question...when considering just 2D sonar...does the Carbon (12") have an advantage over a 12" HDS gen 3 ?? Sounds like there may be some advantage worth considering.
The SolarMax screen on the Carbons is A LOT better than the screen on the Gen 3s. Of all the improvements, I think that's the biggest advantage.

The other major advantage of the Carbon units is Live Sonar - meaning you can view two different 2D sonar sources (bow and stern, or HDI and Airmar) on the same screen, at the same time. I love this feature, and I can't imagine being without it.

There's a big difference in processing power too, the Carbons are much faster at everything - loading/switching screens, zooming maps, drawing the live maps, etc...

Other advantages of the Carbons - the ability to run LiveSight down the road.

Waxy
Old 03-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Slot Fish

Default hds

I was able to "live sonar network" with my Gen3 12 on dash and Gen3 7 on bow. Don't think that's an advantage for Carbon as gen3's can do it too. I loved that and main reason I will probably sell the birds on the boat I just boat and replace with Carbons.

I say "Carbons" as the info you guys have given regarding speed and screen clarity is enough to sell me.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:16 PM
Wallhanger

I had a 12" gen 2 touch on the dash up until a weeke ago. I bought a new live 12" and wow that thing is fast. I need the ice off the lakes sonic van use it. I mostly upgraded for the live mapping and active imaging.

Love running 2d off the bow unit and seeing it at the dash while running down or side scan.

Has anyone found an effective method for using your underwater camera with these units? I played around with it in the past but got tired of fighting the cable and where to store my marcum camera while running. Not mention having to charge another little battery.

I need a camera with a retractable cord powered by my boats battery or something.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk