Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing rods - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Couple weeks ago gave my surplus rods and shimano reels to a local Veterans group. Some have never seen the water. I think I have a dozen rods left and use them all, except this year with the border closed.

To the OP, there is probably a support group for your addiction..... :-)

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

lucky here have a few grandkids that fish so when I need to reduce inventory or want to replace with something new the old ones go to the youngsters. They usually find a way to lose or break some so refreshing is always welcome.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Wallhanger

My wife gave up on my fishing habits a long time ago. I can blame this on Minn Kota. When I purchased and mounted my first bow mount electric with remote steering I had to show it off in action to my wife. After seeing it in action she just shook her head and walked away. Yes, this was in the garage.

Approx. 15 years ago I experimented a bit with Salmon fishing so I have approx. 16 - 18 rods for this but some carry over for walleye fishing and such.

Rod holder on left wall, right wall and ceiling of garage. I climb in the boat also to access the ceiling rack but a short ladder gives me access to some...

Rods - age = +.So I can't buy any more rods till I am 64?

Last edited by Net_Man; 10-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default I’m Just Like The OP

In the past two weeks I have used the following rods. 2-8 1/2‘ panfish slip bobber rods. 4 - 8 1/2’ planner board rods, 2 8 1/2’ dipsey rods, 4 - 8’ downrigger rods, 2 - 9’ lead core rods, tip 2 - 7’ Spinning rods, 2 - 6 1/2’ baitcasters, and 2 - Bottom bouncer rods. Let’s see, if my addition is correct......

20 - rod & reel combo’s

Never touched my Canada earmarked rods. In a week or so I’ll use my 4 surf casting rods.

(Got to admit that the salmon set-ups were just a sorting out process to make sure all was ready for next spring.)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:25 PM
Keeper

What do you use for Disey rods? I could use a tip on getting a couple of them.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:02 AM
Wallhanger

I am told I have too many fishing rods and reels. HOWEVER. I can create a setup for anything I would want to fish for. I’m like Fishin10, I don’t see thinning the herd any time soon. I’m also to the point I’m not looking to buy anything either.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:38 AM
Keeper

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
I have a rod rack in the ceiling of my garage. I can stand in my boat and pick from the selection. My wife walks in and asks how many rods and reels do you have, dear,? I counter with "how many sewing machines do you have, honey? Coulda heard a pin drop. We have a good understanding.

Mark
Same thing at my house. Sewing machines and quilting is really expensive, where fishing and boats are relatively inexpensive, don't you think?
wmd
Old 10-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

In the past I have purchased many fishing rods for myself. Lately I have cut back, cut back to the point I haven't bought myself a new rod in the past 4 years.

Not to say I haven't bought a new rod, (read the above carefully). I keep telling my wife the new rod is for my grandson, but I need to check it out for defects first.

Matter of fact, a new panfish rod just started going thru the "quality control product testing" stage this last week.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Guilty as charged, I don't know the exact number but it's at least 60+
number grew quite a bit when I started trolling boards about 3-4 years ago-8 rods right there then 2 years ago started trolling Salmon -that was another 6 and will be adding 2 more to that soon. I look at it as a healthy addiction
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 10-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Man View Post
I know that I am not the only fanatic when it comes to fishing tackle.

I was organizing my garage today and I counted 57 fishing rods. I believe I have another 6 in my house in a closet. I did not count ice fishing rods. And no I have never guided and I paid for each one. I had purchased 5 in the last 12 months which maybe I did not need.....

Who else is a fanatic and when was your first clue that you were one?
You are off to a good start!

My passion for collecting rods started when my grandpa gave me a 5' steel rod with a Zebco 202. This was about 45 years ago, still have that rod and my collection is growing.

I've always enjoyed buying and trying different brands. Most recently, settled on St Croix and add at least 2 new rods per year to the stable.

Since I retired 6 years ago, accelerated my collecting of antique reels, and you guessed it, steel rods.

Add all my rods up and it's clear I have an issue.

All past interventions have failed!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360