Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dog boots??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Dog boots???

Anybody have any experience using dog boots? I have had a couple of bad incidents happen to my GSP having her cut up her feet from crusty snow. Iwas wondering what type of boot. Recently at cabelas I was looking at the boots when some guy seeing what I was looking at told me I would be wasting my money saying that his dogs would wear out a pair in no time! After my dog cut up her feet I did the homemade kind from duct tape and terry cloth but in the crunchy snow they didn't last long and after her feet was wet it was impossible to keep the tape sticking. Any bodies help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Dog boots???

Anybody have any experience using dog boots? I have had a couple of bad incidents happen to my GSP having her cut up her feet from crusty snow. Iwas wondering what type of boot. Recently at cabelas I was looking at the boots when some guy seeing what I was looking at told me I would be wasting my money saying that his dogs would wear out a pair in no time! After my dog cut up her feet I did the homemade kind from duct tape and terry cloth but in the crunchy snow they didn't last long and after her feet was wet it was impossible to keep the tape sticking. Any bodies help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Rick-Wy.

Default RE: Dog boots???

My breeder for my GWP is a hunting fanatic ---- with many, many dogs. I've asked him the question in the past for my GWP. His recommendation was the cordura type that slip on. Put a band of duct tape inside out on the dog's feet at the upper part of the boot then a final taping over the boot to the inside out duct tape.

For the snow/ice conditions you mention. I have also used the type that have the cordura boot for the toes then a upper neoprene for additional protection. Tape on the same way.

I've had good results with both. In my case I only use for a sore foot or when the conditions require - I think it would take a lot of use to wear a pair out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I have used the cabelas slip ons with velcro, which still need the extra tightening of duct tape or they come off. I have also made some, which I like better and are a lot cheaper out of an old motorcycle inner tube and duct tape. If you interested I can send you a Word file with some photos. I also use the inner tube for "shin guards" as the hair wears off my dogs legs by the end of a long weekend.

Best thing is watching your dog attempting to walk in them the first time you ever put them on. It's funny!

"Friends don't let friends fish for trout!"
Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info I guess I'll try some of the cabelas boots my GSP is going to be 10 years old in Dec. She's been great she has only cut her feet up twice in 9 years and it probably hurts me more than her but I feel so guilty cause its my fault she just wants to hunt and hunts very hard THANKS for all the inputs Jim
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim L View Post
Thanks for the info I guess I'll try some of the cabelas boots my GSP is going to be 10 years old in Dec. She's been great she has only cut her feet up twice in 9 years and it probably hurts me more than her but I feel so guilty cause its my fault she just wants to hunt and hunts very hard THANKS for all the inputs Jim

Don't waste your money on boots, they don't work without tape, so instead just get some vetwrap, kinda like prewrap for your ankle, then put some athletic tape over the top of the vetwrap. Cheaper, easier, and less dissapointing when you lose one. I hunt my dogs about 35 days a year and never wrap them unless they get a cut, but this is the only thing I have found that will stay on.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 AM

Default Jim's Dog Boots

Brandon Anthony - Decatur, Tx. - Hunting Guide
I've been using Jim's Dog Boots since he started making these things, They are the best on the market in cost and durability. you can look
to spend up to three times the cost at the big chain stores to get a set of boots that come close to the quality of these. They hold tight
to your dog, so you very rarely loose one. The material these guys use is alot tougher than even the Dukes boots that I used before i found these. So bottom line is if your hunting in some country with cactus and sand burrs you need to try these boots out. As a long time quail hunting guide I know a good product, and this is
a great one.

http://www.jimsdogboots.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	down02.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	907   Click image for larger version

Name:	down04-1.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	908  
Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Slot Fish

Default lightweight booties that work

For booties that work on gravel and all snow conditions or to protect an injured foot. Check out dogbooties.com or look on sleddogcentral.com for other sources of dog booties. I have sled dogs and put thousands of miles on them each year. I have two bird dogs and hunt them hard. The light weight booties with stretch velcro fasteners will stay on when applied properly. They are relatively cheap so you can buy a few dozen and change booties when you notice wear. I get about 60 miles on a set of boots on my sled dogs in fall road conditions here. More on some snow conditions. Keep the nails trimmed, look at the feet often and hunt hard!
Lloyd
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Slot Fish

Default not for thorns etc

The booties I mention in the previous post are not the best for thorns etc.
When you don't have to worry about that though the light weight booties are the ticket. You don't enter a track meet in steel toe boots and that is what some of the booties I see approximate.
Lloyd
Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up

I have found doggy sandals work much better, and the dog is then much more fashionable looking. You can usually find a pair that won't clash with the collar color.

Good luck.