Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
pointing labs - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Curt and i go way back. We have done a lot of dog training and field trailing together. He has a great understanding of dogs and knows more of why a dog does what he does in the field than anyone i have ever trained with. And i have trained and trailed with some really good ones. Funny thing. I was at Fergus Falls on Wednesday and went in to the Chevy dealer to get a tire repaired. And four guys that work there came rolling in pulling a dog trailer and they had several Munsterlanders that they had gotten from curts Snowy Oaks Kennels, Wiredog

Last edited by wiredog; 12-07-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Keeper

yes curt is a great guy. i had to put my 10 year old setter down this fall so this was my munsterlander first year hunting alone he has done a great job i do like hunting 2 dogs.my munster is a 09 dog so in 2016 ill be getting a puppy again i like one old dog and a pup so ill be calling curt when its time again just hope he is still breeding munsterlanders.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post

I just put a deposit down on a Drahthaar pup.

I wanted a pointing Lab but Mrs KFK wanted something different.

After doing a little research and talking to a few people including a cousin who owns a male Drahthaar, we decided to buy one.

I like the idea of a pointing dog who has strong retrieving instincts.

Last year we had a few birds drop on thin ice and it took about a half hour to convince the English setter and Gordon Setter we were hunting with to go retrieve them.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

Do you know the difference between a Drahthaar and a Wirehair??? Wiredog
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Minnow

VDD to AKC.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
Do you know the difference between a Drahthaar and a Wirehair??? Wiredog

Yes, I do.

Genetically the same dog.

Just different standards for breeding.

Once you register a Drahthaar with the AKC its considered a Wirehair.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldfront Kraig View Post
Yes, I do.

Genetically the same dog.

Just different standards for breeding.

Once you register a Drahthaar with the AKC its considered a Wirehair.
I would respectfully disagree. Here's a paragraph from the Verein Deutsch Drahthaar website.

Many breeders of the German Wirehaired Pointer (GWP) errantly refer to their breed as Drahthaar. In addition to significant differences in breed standard, the Wirehair has been bred without regulation or restriction since the late 1950ís, but especially without the performance testing that proves the ability of the Drahthaar. After years of unrestricted breeding and no versatile performance standards the German Wirehaired Pointer has evolved into a distinctly separate breed

http://www.vdd-gna.org/history-of-th...sch-drahthaar/

Also, I'm not real sure you can even register a Drahtaar in the AKC. If your Draht can't pass the VDD tests, or isn't tested period it can never be bread as a Drahthaar, or actually the litters can't be registered as drahthaars. I suppose at that point if you bread it to a AKC wirehair maybe the litter could be registered. Not too sure about that though as don't both parents need to be AKC before the litter. However the DD's are registered in the German system.

So are the dogs close. Sure they are. However to say genetically the same I think is a stretch.

That all said - where is your DD coming from? Hopefully you are close in location to the breeder as most have a wealth of information to share. I would also fully recommend taking the dog through the VDD testing system. It not only helps you train your dog to a fuller potential but it also helps you get to know your dog. In addition to this, it also helps the breeder learn more about his or her pups from that actual breeding.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I would respectfully disagree. Here's a paragraph from the Verein Deutsch Drahthaar website.

Many breeders of the German Wirehaired Pointer (GWP) errantly refer to their breed as Drahthaar. In addition to significant differences in breed standard, the Wirehair has been bred without regulation or restriction since the late 1950’s, but especially without the performance testing that proves the ability of the Drahthaar. After years of unrestricted breeding and no versatile performance standards the German Wirehaired Pointer has evolved into a distinctly separate breed

Also, I'm not real sure you can even register a Drahtaar in the AKC. If your Draht can't pass the VDD tests, or isn't tested period it can never be bread as a Drahthaar, or actually the litters can't be registered as drahthaars. I suppose at that point if you bread it to a AKC wirehair maybe the litter could be registered. Not too sure about that though as don't both parents need to be AKC before the litter. However the DD's are registered in the German system.

So are the dogs close. Sure they are. However to say genetically the same I think is a stretch.

That all said - where is your DD coming from? Hopefully you are close in location to the breeder as most have a wealth of information to share. I would also fully recommend taking the dog through the VDD testing system. It not only helps you train your dog to a fuller potential but it also helps you get to know your dog. In addition to this, it also helps the breeder learn more about his or her pups from that actual breeding.
I`m sure we could get into a lively discussion about some of the points posted. But for the most part it all comes down to the battle between the AKC and the VDD. I have been around a number of VDD Drahthaars and also trained and tested with NAVHDA. No mater what the breed you need to put in the training time. But with that said coming from a background of horse back trialing i like my dogs to be bigger going and tend to let them think for themselves a little more. And Kraig your gonna LOVE that Drahthaar!!! Wiredog

Last edited by wiredog; 12-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Many breeders of the German Wirehaired Pointer (GWP) errantly refer to their breed as Drahthaar. In addition to significant differences in breed standard, the Wirehair has been bred without regulation or restriction since the late 1950ís, but especially without the performance testing that proves the ability of the Drahthaar. After years of unrestricted breeding and no versatile performance standards the German Wirehaired Pointer has evolved into a distinctly separate breed

I'll be doing the puppy test.

Its one of the things I agreed to do if I were going to get a pup from him.

I'm ok with that.

I'll decide later if I'll do the fall test.

I'm not looking for a future stud dog. I'n fact, we will most likely get him neutered.

When the breeder asked what I wanted in a dog I told him a good, mellow affectionate family dog first then a good bird dog.

I plan on spending a great deal of time working with the little guy.

The breeder we decided on:

http://brandherd.efitters.com/about.html