Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Breaking NTC News From TWF - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Walleye View Post
Turn your two day tournament into a double one day event. That way you can double the number of side pots.
That would make for smaller paybacks, but I understand what you are saying. My main point was just the fact that it takes from large groups and anyone can now Buy their way in to the NTC...Problem is with 10 teams you all say ok we will have 10 tournaments with a side pot, $50 ea= $500...Guess what you get that back for the NTC spots. It is a flaw in their system in my opinion that's all, but like everyine else you take what is dealt and play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM
10 Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye.bill View Post
That would make for smaller paybacks, but I understand what you are saying. My main point was just the fact that it takes from large groups and anyone can now Buy their way in to the NTC...Problem is with 10 teams you all say ok we will have 10 tournaments with a side pot, $50 ea= $500...Guess what you get that back for the NTC spots. It is a flaw in their system in my opinion that's all, but like everyine else you take what is dealt and play.
The system has always been flawed. Even if it is 10 teams, you still have to draw 10 teams. If all you have fishing is 10 teams, when someone wins the first tournament, they are not going to fish the side pot again. There is no benefit to them, so you still have to recruit more teams.

The real flaw here is the original $480 to join the TWF and are given a gift by Cabela's of a NTC slot. It would cost a team less money to buy 12 memberships, give them as presents to their family, call themselves a Walleye Club and then go to the NTC every year. You would be money ahead, with the cost of fuel, hotels, entry fees, etc....to just become a TWF club and gurantee yourself a NTC slot. I have been arguing this point since the TWF originated.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Keeper

Thumbs up All good thoughts and opinions...

We are all NTC advocates & supporters here... Here's my take on things:

Old System:

- NTC sanctioned circuits etc. were only ever guaranteed (1) spot
- Membership, tournaments and field sizes were reported at the end of the season under an honor system
- There was not a clearly defined allocation process or "formula"
- There was not a verification process

TWF:

- To be eligible to receive an NTC spot you must be a TWF member (defined & verifiable)
- To be NTC sanctioned a club must have 12 registered members (defined &verifiable)
- TWF NTC sanctioned circuits etc. are guaranteed (1) spot (no change)
- (4) qualifying events with a minimum of 15 boats earns spots #2 & #3. Results must be reported. (defined & verifiable)
- Earn additional paid spots by holding "side pots" or "stand alone" events. These are required to be registered through TWF (defined & verifiable)

Advantages of TWF system:

- Nothing is being taken away from anyone. Keep in mind that under the old system all NTC circuits were only guaranteed (1) spot.
- Defined membership & qualifying guidelines. The same for all across the board. All verifiable.
- All spots above the (1) guaranteed spot are earned the same way for all. All verifiable.

TWF's guidelines are not that different than the way things used to be. It was always intended to be based on particpation. Now we have defined guidelines that are verifiable.

No one can "buy" NTC spots. They can only be earned. The event results will have to be reported. "Side Pot" & "Stand Alone" events and entries will be registered through TWF and will have to meet the qualifying guidelines. The same for all across the board.

From www.walleyefederation.com:

“The last thing we want is to come between walleye anglers and their home clubs and trails, in fact, just the opposite,” Cartlidge offered. “Based on the feedback from walleye anglers nationwide, and recent group conference calls with several walleye clubs, we have a solid growth plan. We want to support all the walleye clubs and help drive members to their clubs and events; the plan will do just that—and in a way anyone can afford to attend and compete for prestigious Cabela’s National Team Championship spots.”

I'll venture an educated "guess" that the "side pot" and "stand alone" events to earn additional spots will have a tiered approach. All of these events will have a minimum qualification standard. From there it only makes sense that since TWF wants to reward participation that events that have greater member particpation will have greater member rewards and benefits. "Larger" clubs will be rewarded because of their greater participation numbers. Smaller clubs can still earn additional spots but only if their participation levels meet the defined guidelines.

This is just my personal opinion based on my first hand experience with TWF. They are accessible and interested in what we all want and desire, a brighter future for the sport of tournament walleye fishing!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Keeper

I completely agree with Jim on this one. I know I am not going to the NTC this year due to it being 1000+ miles away. I'm not saying the event shouldn't ever be held on the St Marys again, but lets switch things up a little. Bull Shoals has good walleyes, further south has some monsters (Greers Ferry, AR), just get away from the same few locations that seem to be rotated through. I know there are many more good walleye waters that I am completely unaware of that are more centralized than Escanaba or Slt St Marie.

A question about qualifying: If an angler wins a side pot tournament and is awarded the NTC entry, and that angler then finishes in the top 3 (assuming that is how the NTC slots are given) does that NTC entry then fall to number 4? Assuming 3 entries are awarded to that club. This may be a dumb question, but I didn't pick up on that nuance when I read the press release.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM
ntcfisher

Will there be set rules on who gets the spots i. Each club? Having spots in clubs go to none tournament anglers or teams that fished one event is what was moat troubling to me. When a person can choose between bids in different clubs and even within the same club it looks shady.

Kind of like having a club that meets the minimum requirements to get a bid on your home water, that you never leave.

Or having a small tournament for a spot and not opening it up to the public?

I like the direction its heading with the TWF behind it and hope the BS gets eliminated
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

Default PT

We was told that would be up to your tournament directors. I would think it would in most legit clubs but in reality if a tournament director decided to he could take that spot for himself but I doubt if his club members would be in his club the next yr if he did that!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Keeper

Thumbs up Rome was not built in a day :-)!

I can fondly remember when I started walleye fishing. It was from the shoreline... I was a kid fishing with my Dad. We didn't have a boat. From there it progressed to an inflatable raft, a canoe, a row boat etc. Now I fish out of a really nice top line walleye rig. I'm sure we all have similar memories...The point is that it doesn't happen overnight. It's taken most of us years to develop our skills and passion for walleye fishing.

I know that in some walleye fishing circles the word "Bass" is frowned upon and while competitive "bass" fishing has also faced it's share of obstacles, it has continued to grow. It would be hard to argue against the participation levels in competitive bass fishing vs. competitive walleye fishing.

We all know that bass are more wide spread etc., but here in north east Ohio, at the grass roots level and beyond, participation in bass circuits dwarfs the participation in walleye circuits. Don't forget, this is in an region the has a some what productive major walleye fishery 1 to 2 hours away for most - Lake Erie! We are also surrounded by numerous productive small and mid-sized inland walleye fisheries.

There are many reasons for the popularity of bass fishing. At the competitive level, I believe that the structured qualifying guide lines for state, regional and national championships all the way up to and including the Forrest Woods Cup and Bass Masters Classic have a big influence on increasing participation and in elevating the public perception of bass fishing.

So now walleye fishing has TWF. Currently under the umbrella of The Bass Federation. The same folks that have been doing it successfully on the bass side for 40 years. TBF/TWF has stated from the get go the potential of future state chapters just like the bass side. It's not hard to imagine state and regional championships in the future with the NTC being the TWF National Championship. One could also imagine TWF anglers possibly qualifying for the MWC & NWT championships similar to how TBF anglers qualify for the Forrest Woods Cup or Bass Nation anglers qualify for the Bass Masters classic. All from the grass roots level :-)!

Will competitive walleye fishing become as large and popular as competitive bass fishing? I don't think so and I believe most would agree.

Does tournament walleye fishing have the opportunity to grow? I think most of us would answer yes. Now we have the opportunity to make it happen.

Rome wasn't built in a day and it won't happen overnight. We can only influence how soon it happens by supporting the initiatives of TWF.