Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dog bite problems - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=minn quest;1689809]Cirumstances is right ------ Only Rich S knows exactly what happened,the guys that say if a dog bites once it will bite a again B/S. I was bit by my own dog 11 years ago I stepped on her tail by accident( - cirumstances -strictly a reaction bite)I guess I should have took her outside and shot her on the sidewalk (RIGHT REW)more B/S.Rich you do what you think is right, you know your dog better then anybody on here. By the way my 13 year lab is snoring by my chair as I type this,best family-hunting-pick-up-boat riding-dog this family has ever had.I'm really glad we got here from the shelter 12 years ago.[/QUOTE]

+++1 Wiredog Man i can`t believe some people. Just because a dog nips someone, most likely a person that is not normally around that dog and maybe stepped on its paw or pulled its ear. Or in some way startled the dog. That doesn`t make it a BITER. :rolleyes: Wiredog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Wallhanger

I just read 6 pages of this and most of you guys don't either own dogs or don't understand them. I own 2 labs. We have a 9 month old. They are good with him, never alone with him. Our oldest has growled at him before, I wouldn't consider putting him down. My son was trying to climb on him pinching his fur extremely hard.... wife was with him on floor, she freaked out on the dog but guess what, they were actually hurting him. He is a very calm and kind dog as most labs are. Guess what dogs eating keep kids away, same with there decoys and toys we train with. Dogs need there space and when kids are in the picture too many people wife included take too many chances. I don't buy this one bite it's a biter forever crap either....look into Michael Vicks fighting dogs. I bet they bit people all the time and most have been rehabed. To kill a dog especially a labrador because of 1 incident is terrible. Christ at the least you can do is find your local LABRADOR RESCUE. and find it a good home.

Please PM me if you can't find this dog a home, I'll take it and find it one.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Slot Fish

Had a dog in recent years, the dog seemed fine, one day he charged a boy that was close to us and nipped,just broke skin on the youngster........ never had seen this aggressive nature before. Our decision initially was to put it down, couldn't risk a persons well being over an animal even though our family loved it. We kept the dog inside and didn't let anyone near him except our immediate family. We had already consulted our Vet and made the decision to put him down with a hitch... we set the date for a week later and consulted the Police, guard dog personnel, Trainers, Vet's and any entity we could think of for that period of one week prior to our dreaded date. My wife called me at work in tears and reminded me that we were to have it put down late in the afternoon that day.Between the morning she called me and the time for termination she received a call from and agency that the Police dog person contacted and set up an appointment for the next morning. The person spent an hour with the dog walking, talking, and socializing with the animal and deemed the dog responsible enough to be a subway walker, bomb sniffer, or a similar category. We called the Police station before our decision was final to validate the situation and let him go..... Had to keep my sunglasses on so the kids wouldn't see the tears but they did and I saw theres as well. You have a tough call on your hands, we got lucky but would have put him down, couldn't live with myself if the animal disfigured or hurt a kid or anyone else
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Minnow

I will join the minority here. I have been around labs since I was born. They are one of the best dogs with kids. Sounds like no one knows the circumstances for the reason of the bite, but are very quick to judge. I have known/seen some labs bite, but they had a reason. Just because a dogs bites someone does not make it a dangerous dog. I know many people with shorter tempers than what most dogs have. Doesn't mean we should shoot our neighbor because he lost his temper and hit someone. Like I said, unless we know the circumstances we can't say it is a dangerous dog.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm sorry if folks don't agree with my stand on the one bite rule that I have.

However, I have had personal experience in the past where some very bad things have happened to folks that I know and love as a result of a couple of animals that were not put down following the one bite rule.

As a result of these personal experiences, I can never back away from my stand on the one bite rule for animals.

REW
Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=Leinie;1689945]Pretty sad world we live in, when lawyers and insurance companies control the fate of dogs, parents aren't capable of basic first aid, and doctors are required under penalty of law to break patient / doctor privilege.[/QUOTE]

this is such a trolling comment..but i just couldn't resist its power

no lawyer or insurance company is controlling the fate of this dog. Rich S is. he can keep the dog if he wants. the insurance company just doesn't want to be liable for it.

you have no idea whether or not the parents know basic first aid

no doctor broke doctor/patient privilege and they aren't required under law to do so
Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default Oh Great!

Sounds like Juls will be getting another dog! Cant wait to see the pics of this one eating her couch! lol
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Keeper

sorry i had one more thought for the one bite and done folks.

If I were kicking and abusing a dog just for fun, and then it bites me...would you require the dog to be put down?

I am just wondering if circumstances ever should play a role in a decision like this? I am not judging...just trying to understand your mindset.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Jmill,
The correct answer to your question is that if you were kicking a dog and it bit you, should the dog be put down.
Of course the answer is no.

You should be put down for kicking the dog.

As others have said, it is a sad sad world that we are sometimes involved in.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=hawg;1687873]The answer has been here all along, you're emotions are getting in the way of seeing it. Biting dogs go down, black and white. Sorry[/QUOTE]

Nonsense!!!

[QUOTE=REW;1690425]
However, I have had personal experience in the past where some very bad things have happened to folks that I know and love as a result of a couple of animals that were not put down following the one bite rule.

[/QUOTE]

So all dogs bites fall under the category of the set of same circumstances involving your loved ones?

Believe it or not people, there are trainers that train dogs not to bite. ;)