Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Winterizing new Verado still with low hours - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Slot Fish

Default Winterizing new Verado still with low hours

New boat in Sept. Only 12.5 hours on the verado. Will probably put a few more on but not much.

What do I really need to do for winterizing this year considering low hours.

Or is is a good idea to change out the oil and lower unit anyway even though it is still very low hours?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Keeper

Pretty sure the manual doesn't mention a thing until 100 hours. Anything before that is up to you.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

At an absolute minimum, you should pull the lower unit drain plug to make sure there is no water in the oil. There probably will be no water, but, if there is, much better to find out now and have it fixed. Enough water can freeze, break the gearcase, void your warranty...

If it was my motor, I'd perform the entire winterizing procedure, if only to make sure I knew how to do it in the future. I always write down what I did and save receipts for parts & materials. Then, if something does go sour next spring, I have a record that I did my part to maintain the outboard.

OTOH, I waited the full 100 hours to change spark plugs. That is not a winterizing item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Gunslinger,
Make sure that you have stabil in your fuel, and that some of that fuel has been run through your engine.

Make sure to pull the lower unit, lower drain plug to be sure that there is no water in the oil.

Make sure that the motor has been stored vertical for a while, to be sure that all water has drained out of the motor.

Say pleasant dreams, and put it away for the winter.

Be safe
Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Keeper

Just completed the engine oil and lower unit oil in my Verado and the manual says to change every 100 hours or at least yearly. I really don't want to change oil in the spring when I'm ready to fish so I'd say do it now.

Tags
mercury , motor , verado , winterized