Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How cold is too cold... boat outdoors - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Keeper

Default How cold is too cold... boat outdoors

I live on a relatively small 300 acre subdivision lake. Many of the homeowners have common boat lifts and every year at this time, I will see a couple of fishing boat owners or pontoon owners, simply put their boats on the lift, raise it completely out of the water, tarp the boat adequately with the engine completely in air for the entire winter. I assume they pull the batteries but don't know this for certain. Year after year, I see these boats once again out performing well come summer. The reason I ask is that winter hit here in northern Indiana a bit early and I am hesitant to pull my 16' fishing boat with a 40 hp four stroke merc. The boat is on a lift just barely out of the water with the engine trimmed down and the lower unit in the lake (soft water - certainly not froze yet). So, my question is, it is gonna be 15 degrees or so for a few hours over the next day or so and then we are gonna have a string of 35 degrees and warmer for a bit. As long as the lower unit is in the water, I really don't think there will be any harm to the engine but I don't know. What do you think as I have never pushed the season this far. As always, I appreciate your opinions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 10:47 PM
Slot Fish

Nothing to worry about.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFootdoc View Post
Year after year, I see these boats once again out performing well come summer.

You answered your own question.

Read your owner's manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

1. Check the fluid in your lower unit, to be 100% sure that there is no moisture in the lower unit.
2. Then, with the boat on the lift, just raise the motor to the top and drop the brace under the motor if you have one. It makes 0 sense to have the lower unit being possibly frozen into the surface of the water, so just tilt the motor fully up.

3. Make sure that your batteries are fully charged and then either disconnect all of the wires from one terminal of each battery or be 100% sure that there is no battery discharge going on in your boat with everything turned off. If you can't insure that there is 0 current discharge from the batteries, then remove all of the wires from one terminal of each battery to be 100% positive that there is no discharge path for any battery and just leave it alone for the rest of the winter.

Be safe
Old 11-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
1. Check the fluid in your lower unit, to be 100% sure that there is no moisture in the lower unit.
2. Then, with the boat on the lift, just raise the motor to the top and drop the brace under the motor if you have one. It makes 0 sense to have the lower unit being possibly frozen into the surface of the water, so just tilt the motor fully up.

3. Make sure that your batteries are fully charged and then either disconnect all of the wires from one terminal of each battery or be 100% sure that there is no battery discharge going on in your boat with everything turned off. If you can't insure that there is 0 current discharge from the batteries, then remove all of the wires from one terminal of each battery to be 100% positive that there is no discharge path for any battery and just leave it alone for the rest of the winter.

Be safe
REW

(A) The OP still wants to use the boat, that is why it is still on the lift.

(B) His lift does not raise the hull far enough out of the water for the lower unit to fully drain. Therefore there will be water in the exhaust portion of the lower unit if he trims the motor fully up. The water trapped there will freeze, possibly causing damage to his motor.

Donít Store the Motor Tilted Up

When you park the boat for the winter keep the motor trimmed or tilted down, especially if itís outdoors. This will allow all of the water to drain out of the motorís cooling system. If itís tilted up, some water may remain in the motor, where it can freeze and cause a cracked block or a ruined water pump housing. Even if you think the motor is fully drained, if you store it outdoors and tilted up, rain or snow could enter the exhaust passages through the prop hub, freeze there, and crack something.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Hunting,
Read and understood.

But, if it is freezing temperature, there is a chance that the lower unit could get frozen into the waters surface which is a non good situation.

If, on the other hand, the water never freezes due to the ambient temperature you are right on with respect to storing the motor with the engine down.

But, if there is a chance that the water is going to freeze, then it makes sense to tilt the motor up and run the motor for a few seconds to blow all of the water out of the lower unit and leave the motor tilted up.

Bottom line - whether stored up or stored down - and if the temp gets below freezing - storing the boat with the lower unit in and out of the water due to the inadequate storage height of the motor is likely not a good idea.

But, do what works for you, the owner and go from there.

Take care
Old 11-13-2019, 04:27 AM
Minnow

You need not worry about it.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Minnow

Default Boat/ice

I suggest that you give up and pull the boat - put it on the trailer - drop the motor down to drain any water - drain the lower unit oil - take all of your fishing stuff into the house for cleaning/repairing - batteries - either pull and charge or hook up a trickle charger - Tarp the boat wrap the motor. C'mon up to the GWN (Great White North) and do some winter fishing where you can walk out and fish through a small hole in the water.
It was -2 yesterday here yesterday and the lakes are starting to ice up - boat (same as your Impact) is in the pole barn till next spring. Skidoo battery is charged up and in the trailer along with the Otter cabin. Later in the season we will drag out the 16' wheelhouse (6 holes). We also make trips to lake Superior/Chequamegon bay to fish for lakers/browns/whitefish.
Try making a trip north and try some ice angling (rent a fish house if you like). But then again maybe you have already tried this and decided that we of the GWN are NUTZ.
bestfishes - jim
Sorry to go off on a tirade - a bit bored deer season is a couple of weeks away and the ice isn't "tick" enough yet.