Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Sport Tops/Enclosures - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Minnow

Default Lund Sport Tops/Enclosures

Does anyone have any first hand real-world experience with these? I'm wondering how well they work, and how they compare to the aftermarket options. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Slot Fish

Good question. Curious as well. I have a Tyee 1800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Keeper

I know nothing about the aftermarket tops but the Lund tops are more than adequate and exactly what you would expect. I had a complete top set for my 1875 Pro-v and found it to be very effective this time of year. I typically would use just the top and side curtains with the piece in place near the floor beneath the windshield to block the wind from coming in under the windshield. I seldom used the aft curtain. On my current Impact Sport, the top set is the berries for cold days and even in the hot days, I put the top of to prevent being roasted. I think my top with the side curtains was about $1000 as I had it added from Lund after the boat was already at the dealership. Again, I just got the top, the side curtains and the bottom center piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Slot Fish

Good info. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default Sports Top

My Lund Fisherman was ordered with what they called a Sports Package. It consist of a bimini top, complete bow cover and the snap in section between the consoles. I use the bimini top more than anything to shield us from the sun or rain. When raining I'll put the bimini top up and install the bow cover that connects to the lower portion of the windshield. Then put all our gear up front under the bow cover keeping it dry. I'll operate my trolling motor with the remote while setting under the bimini top. If wind is blowing and cold we'll turn the boat into the wind and install the center piece between the consoles while we set behind the windshield. I do coat my covers/tops with water repellent annually, which seems to help with any water seeping through. Also, when docked all night I'll put the top up and install the bow cover as it keeps things dry and covered up. I believe it was manufactured by Taylor Made.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Some dealers (large dealers) order all their stocking inventory sport model (Walk-thru windshield) Lunds with complete enclosures from Lund. I did ,when I was a dealer.
They all covered the rear row pedestal seats.

One suggestion: If you get the sides... also get the back , too... Otherwise when you travel on the water at any decent speed with just the sides on.. you create a vacuum which pulls a mist of spray into the cockpit.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Some dealers (large dealers) order all their stocking inventory sport model (Walk-thru windshield) Lunds with complete enclosures from Lund. I did ,when I was a dealer.

They all covered the rear row pedestal seats.

One suggestion: If you get the sides... also get the back , too... Otherwise when you travel on the water at any decent speed with just the sides on.. you create a vacuum which pulls a mist of spray into the cockpit.

I have had this happen as well. Good info.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:39 AM
Slot Fish

A top set provides protection for occupants in hot, cold and wet conditions. It also shades the interior, thereby providing protection for the boat, too. My boat stays in the water from early May to late October and the top is up all season. The side curtains, aft curtain and bow cover come and go as weather dictates.

The top can be in the way sometimes when fishing. Having the metal framework narrow enough to allow storage on the floor of the boat is really hand. A "hider" on board is very helpful, fairly easy to build and provides storage for all the components.

I suggest looking at a custom built canvas set rather than the Lund factory stuff. I had custom canvas built for my 2008 pro V and will have I built this winter for my new boat. A custom top set can accommodate any height/length you want as well as giving you choices regarding clear panels, or no clear panels in the top, zip open side windows to allow ease of docking, screens and access though the aft curtain that suits your needs. A custom top set can be also accommodate accessories such as windshield wiper, VHF antenna, rails, rod holders or whatever unique features your boat has.

The Lund side curtains and bow cover wrap around the gunwale's rub rail. If you spend any time at a fixed dock, the canvas will likely be damaged because it's between the dock and the RUB RAIL. I like Lund's snap attachment system for the travel cover, but don't care for it on the side curtains or bow cover. I prefer to have the side curtain and bow cover snapped to the top of the gunwale, even though it is less waterproof than wrap around system.

The factory canvas is well built, but just doesn't fit my needs. The custom top should be a bit less costly than the factory set. The challenge may be finding the right shop to do your work.

John