Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cleaning boat carpet - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default Cleaning boat carpet

What's the best way to clean a boat carpet? I tried an actual carpet cleaner the other day and it just made a soapy mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

Spot clean or an all around clean?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

car wash?
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Keeper

I used Simple Green and a scrub brush and was amazed how well it cleaned up my 11 year old tan carpet.However,it did make a sudsy mess and a lot of rinsing was required. It worked far better then the carpet solution and machine or dish soap I had previously used.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default A good hard summer rain does it for me

As strange as it my sound, I have found over the 5 years I have owned my "Lund" 1800 Pro-V, I have let "Mother Nature" do the job. Maybe a
little background can help explain how this happens.
We are fortunate enough to have a seasonal facility on the South shore of LOTW. While @ our cabin during May to October, I normally leave the entire boat uncovered. Because of this, I have found that after a good hard rain, the light colored carpet of my 2001 Pro-V will wash clean of the blood, slime, mud etc. that will accumulate in between rains. I do vaccum multiple times in between when the carpet is dry, but I have been to the car wash, used carpet cleaner, spot remover etc. but good old "Mother Natures" soft rain water puts all those other processes to shame! I'm sure the day will come when the decking is going to start talking to me, but I always have believed in allowing the boat to breath and dry itself, versus
covering & allowing it to keep moisture trapped. I store the boat on the trailer, probably 90% of the time, & will drain the water out of the bilige after every storm.
My Ride: 2001/1800 Lund Pro-V, '17/Honda 90hp V-Tech Tiller, 82# Bow Mount MtrGuide, LCX104c, LCX19c, LCX27c, Dual Pro Charger w/eng. assist, Ram Mounts & Holders, Wave Whackers, Clarion Sirrus Sat. Radio & Shorelander Roller Trailer on Lake of the Woods.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Brush scrub with hot soapy water and hit it with a good power washer. I have done mine at the carwash before
Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Wallhanger

Default Here is what i did

I bought rug doctor from Costco and the rug cleaner. No problems what so ever got the boat looking new. Hot tap water is key or heat it up with stove. First though you need to vacuum really good my 6hp commercial wet vac did the trick and pulled lots sand out. Your carpet quality may vary this was on crestliner
Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

I had a problem once when I used the self service car wash, the carpet became all matted down and even with vacuming it never did fluff back up. It stayed kind of flat and matted down. Any thoughts on how I could avoid this problem or was it just that particular carpet ?

Rebs
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

Harsh detergents, high pressure washers and excessively hot water can remove the stain resistant fabric protectant applied to most good boat carpets. Most stains can be removed from protected fabric by brushing with a firm brush. If the stain is more stubborn, some Rosenthals cleaner on a towel will usually get it out. The healthiest thing for the carpet is to protect it from UV, and regular vacuuming. Regular shampooing is not reccomended. To maintain the carpets stain resistance, treat the fabric with Scotchguard or similar fabric protectant if it has been cleaned with surfactants a couple of times.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Keeper

I have tan carpet in my boat and I've try everything, spot remover, simple green and they work okay. I find like Beeman that the Rug Doctor works the best, I did mine last summer with one, carpet came out looking the best it has looked since the day I got the boat new in 2005. The only trouble is I don't have carpeting in the house, all custom wood floors. The wife is we don't have carpet and you rent a carpet cleaner, when we had carpet I couldn't get you to touch one.