Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Getting my first hunting dog - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Smile First Hunting Dog

I've had several and they were all very special (pets first & hunters second). The first was an English setter. Three short hairs & a weimer. They all had their strong points. All were/are good with kids (mainly my grand kids). The weimer has probably the best nose, is the closest working dog & is the easiest to handle in the field. All of these dogs enjoy being with people. They enjoy attention, long walks & play time. Ours love playing frisbee in the back yard. The weimer loves it when the kids hide her toys.

I work with a pointer rescue group in the Kansas City area. I see a lot of pointing dogs. They take a lot of work, training & patience. Two of our dogs are rescue short hairs. They are part of our family when we're at home. When were hunting, they work hard & are good field dogs.

Best of luck with your new dog. I'm sure that regardless of breed you choose you'll have a lot of fun & memories. Remember, the dog is as good as it's owner. Time, training & patience make a good hunter (dog & owner). The breed is secondary.

2009 Jeep JK
2010 Lund Rebel 1625 xl ss
60 HP Merc 4-cycle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Keeper

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030 (Copy).JPG
Views:	204
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	19165heres one more dog to look at Large Munsterlander
go to large munsterlander of north america these are great dogs and the only thing is if you want one you have to get on a breeders list one thing i like is there not over bred there bred for hunters by hunters

Last edited by muskyhunter47; 12-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Since you are considering a pointer and a Griffon you may also want to consider a Pudel Pointer. I have a 10 week old one so I cant really speak to their mannerisms yet but suppose to be a good all around dog.
So far she is a typical puppy but already knows 'come' and 'sit'. Seems smart, driven and fun. Endless energy. They are exremely hard to find but you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Minnow

My first dog was a female German Short-haired Pointer, I do a lot of pheasant hunting. She liked to range further out and didn't seem to care about me. If the birds held tight, she would point them out and wait for me. I had three young girls at the time and she was ok with them. But wasn't really a caring dog to the girls. As she got older, she got meaner. My second dog is a female German Wired-hair pointer, this dog was very caring with my now older girls. When I sit outside, she has to lean up against me. Out hunting, she stays within range and wants to know where I'm at. Will point out the birds and hold the point until I flush the bird. Both breeds are good dogs, but for me the wired-hair is a more caring dog. Not sure about a Griffon.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
Since you are considering a pointer and a Griffon you may also want to consider a Pudel Pointer. I have a 10 week old one so I cant really speak to their mannerisms yet but suppose to be a good all around dog.
So far she is a typical puppy but already knows 'come' and 'sit'. Seems smart, driven and fun. Endless energy. They are exremely hard to find but you never know.
Almost one month later I can say for a fact she is a lover. Really cares for people yet driven to do her own thing. Fingers crossed but this may be one special dog.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Wallhanger

My 1 1/2 year old Llewellin setter this last weekend. This was only her second trip in the field hunting and she made my entire fall in one day. We bagged our six roosters (limit was six) and she pointed 5 of the six and retrieved 4 of the six. We had a wonderful day in the field. She got some special treatment with a ride in the front seat and a small ice cream cone for the long ride home.

She is a lover and cuddler and loves to please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-03_12-14-35_642.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	12573   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-04_13-41-24_350.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	12574  

Last edited by LLewellin; 12-05-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Minnow

Default Gsp

hey just gpt a GSP about a month ago he is 5 month old now, wife had the same concerns you have about a crazy hypper dog, but he is a laid back pup as long as you give him daily excerise, when we go out to the field he turn on and is ready to work. great with the family (3 kids here) and the pup is loving and always wants to be with people and very affectionnet, he always wants to please me and a VERY quick learner, Go with the GSP very great dog and campaion, his dad came out of Willowcreek kennels in MN
Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Minnow

Greetings! I guess I am the new kid on the block but not to knowing about several breeds of dogs, I raised Labs, German Sheperds and now for the last decade or so, we have been raising the German Shorthair Pointer. Out studs & dames (females) are out of national field trial champions.

In my opinion, they are the most versatile of the hunting breeds, however breeding can effect the "hyper mode" of some and getting to see the stud dog and the mother (*****) of the litter will give you a birds eye view of what your pup will be like. Also be mindful that there are exceptions to every rule when it comes to the puppy's in a litter.

If the breeder is a friend of yours, yes you can let him or her pick your puppy after givng them the facts. Other wise it would be best to take someone along that knows how and what to look for in the type of puppya puppy...........The most important thing, is NOT to just pick a color...........this will not make you a bird dog ok.

You are looking for a pup that is bold, not affraid of you and will come to you, if not pass on the puppy. One with a high head and tail is good, one that wants to be the leader etc. and not cow down to others. A puppy that is acive and not just sits and watches things.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Keeper

In my life, ive had griffin,lab,beagle,german shepherd, 3 shelties, and for the last 4 years an English cocker. This cocker is the smartest dog yet. My advice to you is buy a training a gundog book before the dog. Basic starter book for All dogs. Feeding time is very important starting a dog. Fact. One person you and only you feed the pup. Walk into the room where pup is with a bowl of food and he must sit stay and come to you. Basic starting. Everytime at feeding you must bang on walls pots and pans to acclimate him for gunfire. Buy the book. Most breeds want to live with you and i feel will be better trained dogs. Vs. Caged in a kennel. My opinion. Good luck
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Wallhanger

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye1114 View Post
hey just gpt a GSP about a month ago he is 5 month old now, wife had the same concerns you have about a crazy hypper dog, but he is a laid back pup as long as you give him daily excerise, when we go out to the field he turn on and is ready to work. great with the family (3 kids here) and the pup is loving and always wants to be with people and very affectionnet, he always wants to please me and a VERY quick learner, Go with the GSP very great dog and campaion, his dad came out of Willowcreek kennels in MN
Just wondering how your dog is doing? I have been thinking hard about buying a dog from Willow Creek Kennels. I am ready to pull the trigger, my wife is still deciding on a 3rd kid or a new puppy!! I really like German Short Haired pointers, but have heard the same thing from many people that they are pretty high strung. I guess it would be a good excuse for me to exercise a little more!!