Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
MWC Spring Valley. Worth it? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Slot Fish

Default MWC Spring Valley. Worth it?

I've always wanted to fish this tourney. Is it worth fishing it? I love the idea of kicking off the year and getting started in March. By then I'm sick of ice fishing anyways. Sounds like this tourney is really a crap shoot for river conditions. Would it be a tough go for a newcomer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

It's one of my favorite rivers to fish. I fished the MWC with some great partners over the years and we always had the best time starting off the season there. The changing conditions are always a challenge, but that is part of the fun. (Well, the extreme flooding was after my time there, so I'm guessing that that was really a miserable experience for those that fished it).

I think you would like it there. Go for it!
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Erlandson View Post
I've always wanted to fish this tourney. Is it worth fishing it? I love the idea of kicking off the year and getting started in March. By then I'm sick of ice fishing anyways. Sounds like this tourney is really a crap shoot for river conditions. Would it be a tough go for a newcomer?
Jason...sometimes fishing in tough conditions levels out the playing field. It opens the door for you to be able to figure "something different" out.
NPAA #499
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Wallhanger

We fished it last year for the first time. I'm looking forward to going back. Fun fishery when we were there but it can be a game of ounces.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Mike M

Fished the tournament for the first time last year. Really had a great time. First time I finished in the 50th spot and was only a couple pounds out of first place. Definately a game of ounces. People were friendly and the campgrounds were nice. Yea, my partner and I camped for the time we were there. We will be there again this year and we are planning on camping again.

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Is it worth fishing it?
- Sure. If you like fishing tournaments, having a buddy as a partner, not burning lots of gas, friendly locale, and fishing above average tournament scenic surroundings this place rocks.
Sounds like this tourney is really a crap shoot for river conditions.
- Well, not usually. Yes, we are talking about a river in spring susceptible to high and/or dirty water. Those conditions happen often with most boats doing well in the changing (not necessarily bad) conditions. Flood stage/unfishable waters are not too common. I consider the spring river conditions a factor to be considered, not to be avoided. Don’t let the threat of flooding deter you. (Geez, I hope I didn’t just jinx it.) High winds may hamper boat control but won’t blow you off the water.
- Changing conditions: Jig bite in a community hole on day 1 is hot, but in day 2 they moved to another hot spot. OR Day 2 turned into a trolling bite. OR they scattered. OR the little boys are here but the big girls are there. Sounds like a 2 day tournament.
-

Would it be a tough go for a newcomer?
- Sure, you’re going against a lot of great anglers and many have been fishing it many years and know it very well. That is not to say an experienced river angler can’t compete. Of course, some prefishing and homework will help. Limit out with one biggie and you may cash a check.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
klino3

The new rules suck
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by klino3 View Post
The new rules suck
What new rules? Only change I see is that you dont have to be an algebra teacher to figure out the scoring.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Slot Fish

1 bait per line 2 lines per person, It does suck.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4triton View Post
1 bait per line 2 lines per person, It does suck.
What would you like it to be?
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112