Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Thoughts on Tiller Makes - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Got it. The only Lowe tiller I saw was the 1610, so I thought you were looking in the 16' class.

HRG
You are right. I missed that. That boat is a little short but the beam is huge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaR View Post
I'd like to be in the 17.5 - 18.5 ft range. If I had to, I'd settle for something close to 17 ft like the 16' 9" pro guide but that is pushing it. As my name suggests, I spend a lot of time on the Columbia so I don't want to go too small. My current boat is 17.5 ft.
Did you look at the 1775 and 1875 ProGuides?
I fish a lot in WA ,myself @ Banks, Potholes, Roosevelt and the River (as far down as Boardman over the years).
If it weren't for my wife wanting a windshield, I'd be in an 1875 Pro Guide, myself.

Last edited by T Mac; 07-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Did you look at the 1775 and 1875 ProGuides?
I fish a lot in WA ,myself @ Banks, Potholes, Roosevelt and the River (as far down as Boardman over the years).
If it weren't for my wife wanting a windshield, I'd be in an 1875 Pro Guide, myself.
Definitely looking at the Pro-guides. Awesome boat and would be my first choice. However, Dan at Valley Marine also markets Crestliner and Lowe and they are significantly less expensive. Just wondering how much I'd be giving up by going with one of those and saving some money up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Guest 0341

Default Tiller Boats

1875 pro guide i believe comes with the IPS2 Hull which i am a huge fan of personally. I have limited time riding in a crestliner or Lowe but i do not believe the Hull is on the same level as Lunds IPS2 design. I believe this would be the biggest difference maker when deciding between the boats.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Minnow

All nice boats, but my personal experience is with a 2015 Pro Guide, the 16'10" model. I usually only fish two people, tons of room for that. Three gets a bit tight. Very stable, never felt at risk in the waters I fish.
75HP E-tec, pushes in the upper 30's which is fine by me.

It's my third summer fishing it. *Nothing* has gone wrong on the boat or motor since I bought it, never been back to the dealer. I'll do my 3 year service on the motor this fall.

I have no regrets. Good luck on your search.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Eye1or2

The Lowe and Crestliner are going to give you an abundant amount of bow spray. They don't have much of a spray rail and their bow shape isn't exactly dry. The Lund will be dryer because of the spray rail and hull design but still considerably wetter than a glass boat.

People always make fun of this topic and say all boats are wet... if you fish where the wind blows at all, this is a critical thing to consider when buying a tiller. And that's from a guy who has spent many years in them. When a 10mph cross wind hoses you down like a fire truck, it gets old quickly.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I had a Crestliner Tiller for 27 Years. A Viking V170. It was a very good boat and handled big water without a problem. The only thing I disliked was if there was any chop at all you had to wear a rain suit or get soaked to the bone. When it finally came time to think about getting a new boat I immediately knew I was going to get a Lund 1825/1875 Pro Guide. As I talked to people that ran them and some had moved on to a glass tiller I was slowly changing my mind. As I looked at the glass tillers I first looked at the Ranger 618T which I would have loved to own but wasn't sure if I could get one into some of the shallow landings on some of the small lakes that I fish, and because they were only rated for a 90HSP I was told they were a bit under powered,and my wallet would have taken a tremendous hit. I looked at the Backtroller that I am sure is a great boat and made to your specifications but when I talked to the builder at the time he would only hang a Suzuki or an E-Tec and I wanted a Yamaha. I also checked out Yar-Craft and was told by countless people that the 1785BT was a very good boat that has an amazing ride. As I finally got to ride one and experience the ride for myself I started to lean that way. It was small enough to get into the small shallow accesses on the small lakes I fish but able to hold its own on Winnie, Leech, Mille Lacs, and Red Lake. I was able to order the color scheme that I wanted and hang a Yamaha F75, and although it doesn't have the storage space that the Lund 1875 or Alumacraft 185 have, it tracks forwards and backwards like it is on rails. I also was amazed how well it drifts. Because I fish primarily by myself the storage space isn't as much of an issue as I thought it would be and the boat just fishes so great that I am glad I didn't get the Lund, Crestliner or Alumacraft that I originally thought would be my top 3 choices. If you deal with a lot of wind on the Columbia you can't go wrong with a glass boat which ever one you buy. As much as I wanted a tin boat I can honestly say that I would never go that route again. Once you go glass you'll never go tin again!
Good Luck, Jim
Old 07-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

Looking at your options, I agree with others. Take a long hard look at the glass tillers out there. I am a windshield boat guy myself but have spent a good amount of time in all type of boats. Fished Eagle Lake (ON) a few years back out of a Tuffy Tiller and was amazed at how well it handled some really, really rough water. It was all but dry in the nastiest conditions, tracked great and you would be amazed at how shallow water you can dump this boat into. Buddy also has a warrior tiller and very, very nice boat.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Keeper

I fish out of a 2012 Lund 1675 Pro Guide... the last year they made the 16 before discontinuing it for a year or two. I fish alone 95% of the time and fish almost exclusively below McNary or once in a while out of the Tri-Cities. I have it rigged with the 60hp 4 stroke Merc, a Vantage on the back and a bow mounted trolling motor on the front.

In the last 5 years there's only been three days that I can remember in which I was at the river ready to go and I either didn't launch or I launched and brought it right back in. Those days were bad though.... days in which not a single boat was out and I highly doubt that if I had the 1875 that I would have been out in it.

If and/or when I decide to get a new boat, I honestly couldn't imagine getting anything other than the Pro Guide, I love it that much.

Also, Dan is the man at Valley! They were (have been) great with every aspect of my boat purchase there. I live in Seattle and bought my boat 100% over the phone with Dan. The first time I ever stepped into his dealership was the day that I picked it up.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Keeper

Crestliner = Wetliner
Alumacraft = Alumacra...wet
Lund = heavier and drier - but still tin
If you're able to afford a Pro Guide, look at Larson's tillers. There are Larson dealers all over the place. I'll tell you I'm incredibly pleased with the ride of my Larson FX1850 tiller in all conditions and sizes of lakes.

See if you can get rides in any of them. You'll be amazed at the differences.