Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
St Croix SCII vs?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Default St Croix SCII vs??

Curious what opinions are on the St Croix various SCII rods are. I’m specifically own a couple Eyecons and have been reasonably happy with them but have never fished the next level SCIII rods (Avid). From a cost/benefit point of view, is an Avid fish 70% better than than it’s similar Eyecon sibling?

For what it’s worth, for anyone who has compared, how does the Cabela’s Fish Eagle rods compare to the St Croix SCII?

Tks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I have owned many St. Croix fishing rods over the last twenty or so years. I first started fishing with their Premier (SCII) fishing rods and then started moving my way up their product line. I fished for many years with their Avid line-up. Now, most of my fishing is with their Legend Elite series.

St. Croix has added many models of fishing rods over the years: e.g. EyeCon, Mojo, Triumphs, etc.. I believe that many of the newer types of fishing rods have targeted various price points from entry level to super premium. I haven't fished with most of these newer models of fishing rods.

As I look back over my experience with St. Croix fishing rods, I believe there was a big jump in performance when I went from St. Croix's Premier fishing rods to their Avid line-up. I suspect that I would encounter the same jump in performance from the other St. Croix entry level fishing rods.

I realized another jump in performance when I moved from St. Croix's Avid lineup of fishing rods to their Legend Elite. This time, however, the jump in performance wasn't proportional to the increase in price. In other words, I paid a lot more money for slightly better fishing rods. I'm not complaining mind you as the Legend Elites are mighty fine fishing rods.

I have said to many people over the years that the absolute best money that I have ever spent for fishing equipment was my first St. Croix Avid fishing rod. That first St. Croix Avid spinning rod allowed me to experience fishing in an entirely new manner.

I have no experience with the Cabela's fishing rod, so can't offer any guidance on that topic.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Last edited by BornToFish; 02-16-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

Yep what Bonrtofish said, the other thing about StCroix there trade up program say I buy a new StCroix for $200 and I own if for 5 years I can trade it in and they will give me $175 for my rod towards a new StCroix but it has to be a step up model. They take $5 off the original price you paid for it for every year that you owned it I believe they still do this at there store. That is how I stepped up to my Legend Elites .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Thanks TomP for the reminder about St. Croix's trade-up program.

I have a good friend that tried some of my St. Croix Avids when we fished together in Canada several years ago. He "saw the light" so to speak regarding the Avids and immediately wanted his own. We stopped at St. Croix on the way home as he was aware of the trade-up program. He traded several of his lower price-point St. Croix fishing rods for Avids.

I looked into St. Croix's trade-up program about two years later and learned that the program was temporarily suspended as St. Croix was sitting on a big pile of used fishing rods. They told me they would restart the program at some point, but weren't sure when it would be.

I will ask about the trade-up program when I go through Park Falls next month.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Wallhanger

That`s funny every other time I go to the Chip we find some time to stop by the store. Last time I traded in one of my Legend Tournament's it never hit the shelf guy standing there bought.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Slot Fish

I have used a St.Croix eyecon, premier, avid, old model legend, and legend elite, Fenwick aetos, elite tech as well as a hmx or hmg cant remember for sure, okuma deadeye, and cabelas walleye prodigy and Im sure a few others I'm not thinking of. The legend elite is hands down no questions asked a far superior rod to any other I've used but comes with a hefty price tag. I have not used GLoomis so couldn't compare that. I like to tell people I can feel a walleye fart on this rod. Low end st.croix rods(eyecon, premier, etc.) on the other hand are garbage rods in my opinion. If you live near a cabelas, or other store with a large supply of rods it really pays off to go look at the rods in person. I bought my low end st.croixs before I really knew what to look for in a rod and just figured it's a st.croix It's gotta be good right? What I do now when looking for sensitivity in a rod is lightly swipe the rod tip across some carpet, no I've never been yelled at for doing this. Try it out and you'll notice the cabelas prodigy($100) and many other rods are more sensitive than low end st.croix. It's a $100 rod that I would compare to most $150-200 rods. If you know how to use the search feature on this website you can find almost endless information on fishing rods, and you will quickly realize that there are a lot of different opinions out there and I'm sure some will be very different than mine. Rods I would suggest $100 and under Cabelas walleye prodigy, okuma deadeye, Fenwick hmx, hmg, and eagle, over $100 and under $150 I would personally call the rip off price range, $150 -$200 Fenwick elite tech and aetos, St.Croix Avid, $200+ any of the St. Croix Legend models. Of course I hope we're talking about a jigging, riggin or live bait rod and I hope we're not talking about a crankbait rod because in that case I use a $40 ugly stick.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Wallhanger

So so many better options than croix. Crazy how over priced they are for the lack of sensitivity.

A lot of croix rods have a great action but the sensitivity is so bad compared to other rods.
I hear their customer service is great but I donít really break rods. No interest in a trade up program either. If you fish braid Iím sure they are fine but Iíve tried to like them even spending $350 on a top of the line custom SCIV/V blank.
BT terrova link
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 AM
Keeper

I agree with what Borntofish said 100%
Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
So so many better options than croix. Crazy how over priced they are for the lack of sensitivity.

A lot of croix rods have a great action but the sensitivity is so bad compared to other rods.
I hear their customer service is great but I donít really break rods. No interest in a trade up program either. If you fish braid Iím sure they are fine but Iíve tried to like them even spending $350 on a top of the line custom SCIV/V blank.
Meaningless comment imo, instead of coming across as a "hater" with no real info whatsoever, maybe focus more on telling the world about all of the fabulous rods that are better than St Croix (there are many good brands out there)...and who cares if you have no interest in the trade up program...it still is a program many do like and is an option! And "I don't really break rods" sounds like you have...so, comments that only bash with no real info to lead someone in a positive direction, come across as blah, blah, blah to me! I think you're Rocky Mountain "High".

Love my Eyecons, but I love my Avids more. I also have the latest Fish Eagle 54, that I really like for the money...I got mine on sale, which would be a nice rod at full price...check them out. I buy rods based on what techniques I plan on using it for...you don't need a Legend Elite to fish with slip bobbers, but it sure makes for an awesome jigging rod! So, put your money where it matters most. Many techniques can be done with lower to medium price rods.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Wallhanger

What I find about my StCroix`s is the action I use MLXF 7`almost exclusively, I have GLoomis NRX 852S`s they are not close to the action I look for in a jigging rod. The closest I have found which I would not have problem buying more is the Kistler Helium III S MLXF really an impressive rod for $249 price they do go on sale once in a while for $199 but not very often. I would classify them between the Legend Tournament and the Legend Elite.