Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Snap weights - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Wallhanger

Default Snap weights

There seems to be two different styles. The Off Shore Tackle snaps and the Snakebite snaps. Is one better than the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaR View Post
There seems to be two different styles. The Off Shore Tackle snaps and the Snakebite snaps. Is one better than the other?
If snakebite stays on the line till you release it, it will work fine. I have been using Offshore many years. They work fine. Let us know if you try them. Bob
Old 03-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Minnow

I personally use offshore I have no-complaints about them and have always got the job done for me , good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 10:40 PM
Wallhanger

I use the ones from gator baits. They work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Keeper

I have the Offshore Snap Weight Kit. My only complaint with them is that they seem to have more blow back than lead weights. The Offshore (at least the ones I have), are bigger because they aren't made with lead, so they have to be larger to get the same weight. The larger profile creates more drag so they seem to rise in the water column even when trolling at slow speeds.

For me personally, I've found that controlling my depth is easier with standard lead weights.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_wi View Post
I have the Offshore Snap Weight Kit. My only complaint with them is that they seem to have more blow back than lead weights. The Offshore (at least the ones I have), are bigger because they aren't made with lead, so they have to be larger to get the same weight. The larger profile creates more drag so they seem to rise in the water column even when trolling at slow speeds.

For me personally, I've found that controlling my depth is easier with standard lead weights.
Slightly lighter so to get the same weight they must be slightly larger. Lead is illegal in many places now. I have not seen any difference in depths. MHO Bob
Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Minnow

I use snakebite snaps and I'm a huge fan. No slippage on the line. Quick 1 handed on and off. No worn out fingers at the end of the day like you get from offshore clips. Don't get me wrong I run off shore boards and I'm not knocking what they have I just personally think the snakebites are better and easier to use for snap weights.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 PM
Keeper

OR16 with banana weight
Old 04-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Wallhanger

From Off shore tackle FAQ's:
A. We went to the Guppy Weights because they are 99.9% lead free and we found during our testing that lead weights can be as much as 10% above or below the advertised weight. The guppy runs the same and is environmentally safe, so we went with it. We no longer have any lead products in our inventory. The Guppy can be used as a keel in line weight as well as a snap weight so you're getting more for your money with the Guppy.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Wallhanger

I do something you red blooded americans will hate me for. I buy the snaps straight from china for $0.85 each (red heavy release) and attach whatever weight I need to them. Made a bunch for a buddy last year who brought me the snaps, then just ordered a bunch more for myself here recently. Its not because I like promoting chinas economy, but because I just can't afford the expensive ones..

Just need the snaps, a big split ring, and a ball bearing snap swivel.