Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Suspension Seats - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

http://www.airwavepedestal.com/

If you want the best, the airwave is it.

Basically this X design pedal is used in all of the high $$ off shore as well as Military boats used in heavy seas.

The X design is also favored for use in over the road truckers as well as farm tractors.

It has the ability to give the most travel, easy adjustability and best of all - excellent stability.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Keeper

Not to argue, but if you watch the videos on their site you will soon see that they have nowhere near the most travel. In fact, they are quite proud of the fact that they have the least travel of any of the seats (see the attachment). When they say Industry Leading, they are referring to the lack of travel as a benefit.

Smooth Moves have the most travel, and by quite a bit from what I have seen in the product videos. Even a lot of the "haters" admit the Smooth Moves have the cushiest ride and are the best in compression. It seems to be the rebound that does them in for some people.

Regarding easy adjustability, nothing beats Smooth Moves from what I can see. No messing with shock pumps. Just turn the handle on the front and you're done. That doesn't do much if you can't find a proper setting, but its definitely the easiest to adjust.

Anyways, I have Smooth Moves, but I am not a fanboi. I would be if they didn't weigh so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Waves.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	309094  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Wallhanger

Old guy here and I have a wife with a bad back. Do I need smooth moves? I would like the the wave pro's for being able to move them but priority is the wife's back. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Old guy here and I have a wife with a bad back. Do I need smooth moves? I would like the the wave pro's for being able to move them but priority is the wife's back. Bob
Definitely not!

I think there's a bit of a misconception about felt travel vs. smoothness of the ride. I could go into a long explanation of rising rate vs falling rate suspensions, and the importance of both high speed/low speed compression and rebound damping, but there's a very good reason why air shocks, or a coil over with a high pressure gas hydraulic shock are the one and only choice in situations where long travel and smooth operation are required - anything from mountain bikes to Baja racing trucks. The Wave Pro is made by FOX, one of the gold standards in that market place.

The real magic of the WavePro is that you don't "feel" the pedestal. There's no real sensation of sinking down through the travel, let alone bouncing back up. They're working hard, and they soften the ride and take away the bounce, but there's very little sensation of going up and down, they just keep you nice and steady in as consistent a position as possible. Watch a Baja truck race across the desert to see what I mean, the wheels are going up and down like crazy, but the body of the truck, and the driver, are remarkably steady.

You can adjust the Wave Pros to be really soft depending on your preference, and as a side benefit, they ride a little lower when aired down for less weight.

Waxy
Old 04-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Keeper

As has been mentioned here several times, any one of these will make a *HUGE* difference over a stock pedestal of any kind. If you believe Smooth Moves are the worst of the lot, you'll likely still agree they are 100X better than a stock pedestal...they are all that much better.

PS - You really don't want to be moving Smooth Moves around a lot, especially if you have a bad back. Those suckers are heavy!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks guy's
Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
Since the comment was made "for the money the wave pro is the way to go", should probably take that into consideration with the other suspension seats on the market, at least the most common ones in the walleye boat arena.

Wave Pro - $750/Ea
Air-Wave - $895/Ea
Smooth Move Air - $700/Ea
Smooth Move Std - $600/Ea

I have only use the standard old school smooth moves so I really cann't comment on how they compare only what I've actually experienced. I ended up with 2 of the smooth moves for $500 for the pair, so for the money I couldn't pass it up. They are a bit bulky which I don't notice until I go to remove the seats for cleaning or what have you and at that time you'll realize how heavy they are. I haven't experienced the ejection seat effect that I've seen others complain about and overall I have been satisfied . I would have a hard time spending almost $2k on suspension seats no matter how well they work as I just don't run my boat that hard. I would be curious to try all three air options and see how they compare. If they perform at all similar, the weight and bulky-nes savings would probably lend it self to the wave pros being priced kinda in the middle of the other options and actually they'd only a tick more than the smooth moves. in the end having any suspension seat is going to be a ton better than nothing . Food for thought.

I have heard the wave pros and airwaves are the absolute best. Smooth moves work well absorbing the waves but rebound kind of sucks if you don't have them adjusted properly. My buddy bought a set of Smooth moves for $1200 and they worked nice. I built a set of homemade smooth moves that are darn near identical to his $1200 set. Mine cost me $400 total. If I wasn't worried about cost I would definitely go wave pro or airwave but I am certainly not disappointed in the suspension seats I built. There was a thread somewhere on here about building the homemade smooth moves. I believe DrBrand started it.

Edit: Here is the thread I mentioned:
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...tor+suspension

2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
2015 Nitro ZV18
200hp Optimax
15hp EFI Mercury Pro Kicker
Lowrance electronics
HDS9, HDS7, HDS7, Elite 5
MinnKota Terrova 112

Last edited by egladding; 04-09-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Keeper

Great thread, I’ve got a couple of questions though:

1. For a Triton 216 Fishunter, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on the 10” vs. 12” WavePro pedestals? The Boat Doc said most are putting 12” pedestals on that boat, but my wife and I are relatively short.

2. I was surprised to learn from WavePro that seats will freely rotate on their pedestals unless you buy and install the “locks”. They said most folks do not use them. I would think driving on a rough lake with rollers in seats that freely swivel and are not locked in place would be unpredictable at best, and ridiculously unsafe at worst? Especially for someone with a bad back? What am I missing?
Old 04-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
Great thread, I’ve got a couple of questions though:

1. For a Triton 216 Fishunter, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on the 10” vs. 12” WavePro pedestals? The Boat Doc said most are putting 12” pedestals on that boat, but my wife and I are relatively short.

2. I was surprised to learn from WavePro that seats will freely rotate on their pedestals unless you buy and install the “locks”. They said most folks do not use them. I would think driving on a rough lake with rollers in seats that freely swivel and are not locked in place would be unpredictable at best, and ridiculously unsafe at worst? Especially for someone with a bad back? What am I missing?
I am 6' 3 with short legs and a long torso so I went short as I want my head lower than my windshield. Depending on your size that may or may not matter. I have been in some grizzly stuff on big lakes in my Ranger and never once had a concern about the free swivel moving being unpredictable.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1269 View Post
I am 6' 3 with short legs and a long torso so I went short as I want my head lower than my windshield. Depending on your size that may or may not matter.
I have the 12" pedestals. They work well for everyone from my 5'1" wife to my 6'2" fishing partner. The air pressure affects the ride height, and they work together, the smaller (shorter) person is generally lighter, so uses lower air pressure, and therefore the ride height is lower.

I guess if you're on the extreme end of short/heavy or tall/light, that might be a bit of an issue, but for the vast majority of people, they work great.

A buddy of mine is a tall guy and he went with the 10" in his Pro V for the same reason as Mojo, he wanted to lower his ride height so he could get his head below the windshield.

Quote:
I have been in some grizzly stuff on big lakes in my Ranger and never once had a concern about the free swivel moving being unpredictable.
X2 on this. I have the swivel lock, and I guess it provides some peace of mind "just in case", but after the first day, I've never used it again.

Waxy