Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much backing for braid super-lines? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Slot Fish

Default How much backing for braid super-lines?

I have a reel I want to setup for pike fishing. I won't use it often but want it setup with one of the braid super-lines. The reel is rated for 195 yards of 17# mono. Thinking a backing of mono is appropriate to cut down cost of line and prevent slipping on the spool. Throwing 1 1/2 oz and lighter baits and spoons.

Thoughts on how much mono should be on the reel before adding a 100 yards of braid.

Thanks
Scratcher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Wallhanger

What diameter is the braid and what diameter is 17 lb mono? If you know those two numbers you should be able to get pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 09:41 PM
Wallhanger

Letís say the braid is half the diameter of the 17lb. That would mean you would need 145 yards of backing to get full spook with 100 yards of braid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 PM
Minnow

It's a little bit of a hassle but what I have been doing is reel on your 100 yds of braid then tie and reel the mono backer until you get it where you want. Then you will need two extra spools, a cordless drill, and a bolt and nut to mount the spools onto the drill. Transfer the line onto one spool then transfer the line onto the other spool to get the line switched the right way, then reel it all back on and it will be just how you want it.
36v Ultrex
36v Vantage
15ft Talon
Wave wackers
5 batteries/5 Dual Pro chargers
2 Vexilar flashers
Solix 12

1997 Lund 1900 Pro V LE
200 Merc EFI Offshore
9.9 Merc kicker
Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 AM
Wallhanger

I use the eyeball method. I eyeball filling the spool about halfway with mono and then the remaining space on the spool with braid. Although I can be pretty anal about things like which blow up animals make it on trips to Canada, this decision I just keep it simple. If I hook into a fish that takes enough braid line out to reach the mono, it is time to strap on the fighting belt

PjShorthorn
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltech View Post
It's a little bit of a hassle but what I have been doing is reel on your 100 yds of braid then tie and reel the mono backer until you get it where you want. Then you will need two extra spools, a cordless drill, and a bolt and nut to mount the spools onto the drill. Transfer the line onto one spool then transfer the line onto the other spool to get the line switched the right way, then reel it all back on and it will be just how you want it.

Iíve done this method with one reel by walking down the sidewalk before. Fill in reverse, tie it off and start walking. When you get to the end, cut it and walk to to the other end. Tie the other end on and reel it up.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

I usually just put a 3-4 level winds and that usually does the trick
Old 05-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

Fill it 3/4 of the way with mono and then put on the braid.

If anything, you'll need to remove some mono. You can quickly remove the braid to get at the mono if you need to. Just wrap it around a larger foam noodle or something...heck I've used my daughters stuffed animals to wrap braid on for a bit.

Remove the mono you need to and wind the braid back on.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Instead of mono backing I put a small piece of tape on the spool to prevent the braid from slipping then fill the spool with all braided line. When the line starts to look frayed I go to the soccer field near me and tie the exposed end to a goal and walk the line off the spool. Then I re-spool starting with the used end of the line so now I can use the good end of the line. Depending on how rocky the lakes I fish are I usually get 3 to 4 years out of a full spool of braid.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

The reverse fill is the way to go. For me the most important thing is to get the spool to be full(about 1/8" before it gets to the end of the spool). This is for the ability to get as long a cast as I can. Less than full means shorter casts or more effort to get it out there. No need for measuring or guessing and getting it wrong. I use 20# mono for backing. Chances are you will never get to the backing but a full spool is the key. Bob