Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much backing for braid super-lines? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-21-2019, 11:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Iíve done this method with one reel by walking down the sidewalk before. Fill in reverse, tie it off and start walking. When you get to the end, cut it and walk to to the other end. Tie the other end on and reel it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This also removes all the twist in your line, especially on a spinning reel.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have stated spinning reel.

Normally I'm a do the math guy but the reverse spool, go for a walk and reel it in seems like a great way to do it right and do it once.

Sure is great to have centuries of fishing experience available to shorten just about any learning curve.

My orange and gold swirl Doctor Spoons arrived in the mail today so just about ready to try it! The first big test will be Devils Lake early June.

Thanks
Scratcher
Old 05-21-2019, 10:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
Instead of mono backing I put a small piece of tape on the spool to prevent the braid from slipping then fill the spool with all braided line. When the line starts to look frayed I go to the soccer field near me and tie the exposed end to a goal and walk the line off the spool. Then I re-spool starting with the used end of the line so now I can use the good end of the line. Depending on how rocky the lakes I fish are I usually get 3 to 4 years out of a full spool of braid.
The tape thing works great, I have been doing that the past couple of years. One of my reels that had yellow power pro on it got a little light on line last year so I bought some red and tied it onto my flouro leader. So I guess I am using braid backing for braid.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Minnow

Default I Asked the Same Question a Few Months Ago

When I asked the same question a few months ago someone on this site suggested I go to this link where someone made an Excel Spreadsheet to figure it out.

https://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/...ll-calculator/

The calculator is an Excel worksheet where all you have to know is:

- How much braid you want to put on.
- The diameter of the braid.
- The diameter of the backer.

Once you put in how much braid you want to put on, its diameter, and then the diameter of the backer, you put in a number of yards for the backer. It will tell you what percent of the spool is filled. If you have too little backer it will say something like 90%, if you have too much backer it will say something like 105%. Just keep changing the amount of backer until it says 99 or 100%.

I tried it and it works great. The one issue is when you go to this other fishing site you will have to log in or set up an account to get access to the calculator but it's worth it.

If you have trouble opening the above link you can find it by searching Backer for Braid on this site and open the post that's titled Backer for Braid - Does This Sound Reasonable.

Hope this helps,

Donscs
Old 05-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Iíve done this method with one reel by walking down the sidewalk before. Fill in reverse, tie it off and start walking. When you get to the end, cut it and walk to to the other end. Tie the other end on and reel it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That,s the fool proof way to do it, right every time.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks Donscs

I investigated that link. In searching that forum I found this link which may be where they got the calculator or the concept of it. Appears to be a tour guide of sorts in Thailand.

https://www.pattayafishing.net/advan...ity-estimator/

I ran the numbers in their calculator and compared them to WallyWarriors numbers and they don't match. WallyWarrior's cocktail napkin math said 145 yards of Mono and 100 yards of Braid. Their calculator said if I use 145 yards of Mono I will need 106 yards of Braid to fill the spool. WTH Wally!

Wally let's do cocktails and use your numbers!

Thanks Folks, this has been fun.
Scratcher

P.S. I should have just done a better job searching and found Donscs older post. Would have saved countless electrons. Oh well there rather cheap yet.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Instead of mono backing I put a small piece of tape on the spool to prevent the braid from slipping then fill the spool with all braided line. When the line starts to look frayed I go to the soccer field near me and tie the exposed end to a goal and walk the line off the spool. Then I re-spool starting with the used end of the line so now I can use the good end of the line. Depending on how rocky the lakes I fish are I usually get 3 to 4 years out of a full spool of braid.

YES! Do it this way, KISS!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Isn't it easier to just use mono backing and put half the spool of line on now and the other half when needed?

No soccer field required.

Plus when your buddy loses the rod off the boat, you at least still have a half a spool of new line at home for the new rod he buys you
Old 05-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
Isn't it easier to just use mono backing and put half the spool of line on now and the other half when needed?

No soccer field required.

Plus when your buddy loses the rod off the boat, you at least still have a half a spool of new line at home for the new rod he buys you
Fewer knots to fail or stick in the reel or guides, plus the walk is probably good for me.
Most of my buddy's would have the new rod and reel spooled when they bring it over along with some beer to share while we embellish the story of how the rod was lost.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Just a though here. I haven't seen any braid sold in less than 125 yards. I can't imagine spooling up with a hundred yards of braid on any really except for really big powerful fish and putting on only 100 yards is wasting 25 yards (the smallest spool I've seen sold).so I back it up so that I only use half the spool. That's more than 180 feet of braid on my reel. I never used up all the braid no matter what size fish I caught. Super long trolls may be a different matter but casting for pike or trolling for pike isn't going to use it all up. I usually rig two rods with the same setup. Have never had a problem. Of course some may say my fish are light weights but I don' think so. Just saying 100 yards is a lot of line. One other thing. After a year or two I just lay out the braid on the lawn and switch ends. It's like starting over with new line again. Just something to think about to save some bucks for more lures lost on pike.