Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Camp suggestions - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with you totally.Dont know if you have been on some of the other lakes mentioned but Cedar and Wabaskang are not really considered small.Cedar stretches some 17 miles and Wabby is bigger.From Cedar there is access to Perrault Lake.I fish LS quite a bit and don't normally even go that far coming out of Scout Bay.Unless it's a spring trip I might go to Broad Lake but that's a trek.I notice a lot of Earfalls camp boats and private boats constantly coming toward the McKenzie Bay area to fish,that's a fair trip also and passing up some fantastic fishing along the way.But some folks like to fish closer to where there staying and that's what there comfortable with and if the fishing is good why not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Keeper

Default Lake size

If you look at the map Wabaskang is a series of smaller lakes tied together by narrows of water. In many years 30+ I have fished 90% in the north three bodies of water. It fishes like a smaller body of water. I have friends that fish Perrault and Wine every year. I guess in summary I am saying don't be turned off by the size of any of the lakes mentioned. Wabaskang, Perrault, Cedar and others in this area, I would suggest you look at the accommodations and availability to help make your selection.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Minnow

Default Camp info

I can only speak to Eagle. I stay at Andy Meyers lodge. Plenty of excellent walleye fishing within 1-2 miles of the resort.

I typically travel about 1/2 mile, fish walleye for 1 hour or so, limit out, and switch to musky fishing for the rest of the day.

Eagle is basically a series of smaller lakes connected by channels. Plenty of places to hide out from weather, plenty of good fishing close to any resort on the lake.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Minnow

I've never been but last year I came across Discovery Lake Lodge. I've talked to the owner a couple of times and it seems like a good spot.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:45 PM
ralfeee6009

Default Might Check out Nungesser

Might want to check out Nungesser Lake, there are a couple of lodges and the lake is big, but not too big. I have stayed and Nungesser Lake Lodge tons of times and the new owners are great. They took over 2 years ago and are working on improvements to camp all the time.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:27 AM
Keeper

What time of year are you looking at?
Old 10-31-2019, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Unicorn View Post
I've never been but last year I came across Discovery Lake Lodge. I've talked to the owner a couple of times and it seems like a good spot.
Check out my review of Dominion Lake out of Discovery Lake Lodge. Just search Discovery Lake Lodge. Our experience this past September may give you some insight on Paul and his operation. PM me if you have any questions.

Fish On!

Hooks
Old 11-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Wallhanger

Default Here is the review of Dominion Lake- Discovery Lake Lodge Sept. 7-14, 2019

Pink Unicorn said he could not find the review of Dominion Lake- Discovery Lake Lodge. It was originally posted in the thread Discovery Lake Lodge. For anyone that is interested, here is the text of the original review:

Doc and I had been eagerly anticipating this trip. New Lake, new hosts new adventure! After spending the night in I Falls and 16 road hours over the last two days we were finally rolling up the driveway to Discovery Lake Lodge at about 11 a.m. in Mama's Kia Sedona. The Kia seemed to be the best option of the vehicles we had available. Paul had suggested a 4wd but Doc was not convinced his '80 something old truck would make it. Thinking the driveway might be the harbinger of what was to come, my confidence in the Kia grew. "Good ground clearance," I thought to myself. We pulled into the lodge to country music blaring from the garage but no other sign of life except for Diogi the dog, who resembled a bison shedding it's summer coat. Finally Cheryl appeared and after some small talk we followed her into her cabin to pay our bill. Paul was bringing in trash from Zarn. After the exchange we waited on the lawn with a Kokanee. As we were finishing up our beers, Paul showed up. We were originally captured by the story of the Bohnens. living their dream constantly building and improving their venture, at the Milwaukee All Canada show. "Bear hunters," he boomed in a voice that resembled a yell but we quickly realized that was his conversational voice. We corrected him that we were fisherman headed for Dominion. Full of smiles and exuberance and after using the precarious "rocking outhouse" we set off for Dominion Lake. "You will make it," he assured us, pointing at the Kia, "we have had those up there before." The 14 mile long road to Dominion Lake was very passable for 13.8 miles. I would have preferred about 30 mph but his atv would go 50 and the volume knob of the stereo blaring country music would go to 10 so off through the woods we went. We eventually lost sight of him since my wife's warnings about not screwing up the van passed through my mind. Eventually, 13.8 miles later he was waiting for us at the white sign designating the turnoff to the Dominion Lake landing. We crawled down the path navigating six inches on each side of the van between rocks and trees and eventually arrived at a series of deep ruts. Paul kept waving us to the left from the atv but I could not hold the side of the rut and we slid into the deepest one. I hit the gas worrying about high centering but it crawled forward, mud streaming from the front right tire into the window Doc had wide open. Again, my wife's voice was in my head. Somehow, we got through it and when we crawled out of the Kia Paul was already in the boat. "Just grab something and jump into the boat," he said. We opened the back trying to assess what we should bring and Paul exuberantly shouted "Anything!". We moved some things around and an impatient Paul was gesticulating and shouted, "Forget it, just get in! Doc grabbed a bin and I grabbed the cooler and off through the weeds we went.

The trip to the cabin was only about 10 minutes and on the way I asked Paul if he could point out any fishing areas. He pointed in several directions but settled on, "They're everywhere!" The cabin looked beautiful as we approached it and Paul was beaming with pride. "Isn't it beautiful!?" We agreed but then we could see that it was showing some wear since it was 18 years old. "Is that the icehouse?" I asked. "Yes, and the fish station right next to it." "Is there any ice in it?" "I don't know, check it out." There wasn't. "It is nice to have a sink next to the fish cleaning station." Oh, that hasn't worked since the very first group in kicked it apart!" The porch is not screened. We were able to enjoy it but there was not many bugs while we were there. A July night and the skeeters would definitely drive you inside. There was duct tape on most plumbing joints and screens. The indoor plumbing was nice but you had to learn how to set it to make it all work. He showed us and we paid attention so we had no troubles. Overall, we enjoyed the cabin very much!

Dominion Lake is a very shallow lake. The deepest spot we could find was 17 fow, which is shallower than where we generally fish in the fall, about 20 fow. That trough produced only a couple fish through the week so our second choice was to look for structure. We found a reef close to the camp and it produced a few fish. The second day we ventured into Upper Dominion. We caught our biggest walleye this day with three over 20" and the largest 21 1/2." We caught enough for dinner, which was delicious. Fish tacos most of the week with peppers, onions, bacon, potatoes, kiebalsa and more topped with cheese and salsa. Sooo good and a never ending meal as we just added to what was left. Sunday night Doc was looking around and found a detailed map with one guys experience with fishing Dominion. On that map we saw an arm of the lake that was a good fishing spot. Most of the rest of the week we were there. We probably caught about 200 walleye through the week, about 3/4 of them under 14". We weren't fishing for pike and only encountered a couple snakes though Doc caught one right at the slot.

We did go out on Tuesday morning to find the only hill in the area where there is cell service. We had promised the wives we would call midweek and I was dealing with my wife's voice anyway. Everything was okay there, but it was nice to have that chore done. Coming out we had some trouble and I bounced off a rock here and there but there does not seem to be any difference in how the van operates now after a 1000 mile trip home. When we returned we parked about 100 yards from the landing to avoid most of the trouble spots and that worked out much better. We checked with Paul (he was in town) and told Cheryl if we were not out be 10 am we would need help. She agreed and said that since we were planning on moving the stuff from the boat to the van about 6:30 a.m Paul would probably help us with the atv. He didn't. It took about six trips each for the 71 year old Doc and the 67 year old Hooks, but we did it.

Final assessment. We would probably not return to Dominion Lake. Too shallow, mostly small fish, too limited, rocks everywhere. We spent the week in the rain and the cabin was always warm. We had a great time and saw no one else all week. We were told we would see wildlife but other than the eagles that enjoyed the fish guts we didn't see any thing else. We did see some moose tracks along the turnoff on Tuesday. Of course we heard wood knocks and other sounds that had to be squatches. I think we got a picture but it was very blurry.

Paul and Cheryl run a great show. Cheryl is soft spoken but very pleasant and helpful. After the initial shock of Paul, he grows on you. He provided us lots of comedy material that we will share with others on future trip. We are open to trying Zarn Lake in the future.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Keeper

I would recommend Press Lake Camp. Cost is in your range; nice cabins; prep your own meals; very secluded but drive to; 10,000 acres + two boat-in lakes; 1 camp on the lake, no private cabins. I have been going there for 15 years. Take my own boat. Owners are great. Many 2nd generation families. Owners and other guests will help you out with a new lake. Actually pretty easy lake to fish. Very good walleye; some northern and small mouth available. Lots of islands, reefs, current areas. English River goes in on south end, out on north end.