Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Thinking about switching to Lowrance - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Wallhanger

Oops - almost forgot - the main reason I've been Lowrance since I first bought my boat!

The Lowrance Fuel Flow Sensor! For those of us without fancy ports on the engine, it tracks fuel flowing through the gas line, giving 1/10th gallon accuracy on fuel in your tank, fuel usage rate at any given throttle setting, etc., etc. all on any screen you want on the head unit. Only drawback is you have to remember to hit a button on screen when you fill your tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Slot Fish

@GBS that functionality requires a nmea 2000 connection to the engine?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
@GBS that functionality requires a nmea 2000 connection to the engine?
The fuel flow sensor goes inline with your fuel hose and does require a nmea 2000 network. For engines without a direct nmea output.

The fuel data manager hooks directly to your engine then to nmea network, gathers fuel usage directly from the engines ecu
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Slot Fish

I have been reading through the manual for the HDS 12 Live. I have some questions about zoom and bottom lock.
The manual says this about the zoom functionality in the 2D sonar view:

"When zooming in, the sea floor is kept near the bottom of the
screen, irrespective of whether it is in auto-range or manual range."

To me this sounds like bottom lock except the bottom wont be totally flattened like it would be if in bottom lock view. Am I right in expecting then that the Zoomed view would follow the bottom? Like if I'm zoomed in viewing the bottom at 40 FOW, then roll off a flat into 80 FOW, will the zoom still be at the bottom?

I ask this because I would like a view that acts like 'Bottom Lock' without having the sonar view split. I don't want or need a view of the entire water column next to my zoomed/bottom lock view. Assuming a zoomed view would follow the bottom it seems to me it would be exactly what I'm looking for.

One other question, I don't see anywhere in the manual how you can adjust the split of the bottom locked view. I see how to adjust the split for 'Multi-Panel' views, but a sonar split does not seem to be the same thing...can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
GBS,

Save your custom settings prior to doing the update, then simply reload them afterward. It takes about 30 seconds and saves you potentially hours of messing around if you're like me and have ton of custom screens and settings.

I really wish I could remember the exact steps to do it. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Waxy
This is a quick and easy process: Pages>Storage>Settings database. When you select Settings database you'll first be given the choice where to save it, a memory card, or My files. When you make that selection, you'll be given the option to select a folder for the file to be saved to followed with the opportunity to create a file name, or overwrite an existing file with a .set file attribute. As soon as you create a new file name and touch Enter, your new Settings file is saved with all of your present settings including custom screes and their overlays. Actually very simple and easy when you do it because your simply following onscreen prompts.

Quote:
I have been reading through the manual for the HDS 12 Live. I have some questions about zoom and bottom lock.
The manual says this about the zoom functionality in the 2D sonar view:

"When zooming in, the sea floor is kept near the bottom of the
screen, irrespective of whether it is in auto-range or manual range."

To me this sounds like bottom lock except the bottom wont be totally flattened like it would be if in bottom lock view. Am I right in expecting then that the Zoomed view would follow the bottom? Like if I'm zoomed in viewing the bottom at 40 FOW, then roll off a flat into 80 FOW, will the zoom still be at the bottom?

I ask this because I would like a view that acts like 'Bottom Lock' without having the sonar view split. I don't want or need a view of the entire water column next to my zoomed/bottom lock view. Assuming a zoomed view would follow the bottom it seems to me it would be exactly what I'm looking for.
Pretty sure this feature will give you exactly what your looking for.

One other question, I don't see anywhere in the manual how you can adjust the split of the bottom locked view. I see how to adjust the split for 'Multi-Panel' views, but a sonar split does not seem to be the same thing...can anyone confirm or deny this?
To be honest, I'm not quite clear on what your asking.

Thanks!

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 11-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

I very rarely use that feature, but that's exactly how it works to best of my recollection.

Nothing changes in terms of how the sonar is displayed - the bottom contours and depth ranges work exactly as normal, the only difference is you only see the bottom "half" of the water column, or whatever level you've zoomed in to. It tracks the bottom and that defined zone, say 10 or 30 ft, and eliminates the water column above.

Quote:

Thanks!
I think you're asking for a way to control exactly how much of the water column is displayed above the bottom, I'm not sure that's possible. You can vary the zoom level in and out, that will control how much of the water column above the bottom is displayed, but I don't think there is a way to arbitrarily or precisely define that "split" on the screen.

Waxy
Old 11-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
This is a quick and easy process: Pages>Storage>Settings database. When you select Settings database you'll first be given the choice where to save it, a memory card, or My files. When you make that selection, you'll be given the option to select a folder for the file to be saved to followed with the opportunity to create a file name, or overwrite an existing file with a .set file attribute. As soon as you create a new file name and touch Enter, your new Settings file is saved with all of your present settings including custom screes and their overlays. Actually very simple and easy when you do it because your simply following onscreen prompts.
Thanks Hawker!

I don't have access to a sonar unit, and I didn't want to give bad info based on my known to be somewhat unreliable memory...

Waxy
Old 11-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks Hawker and Waxy.

More on my bottom lock question. In the HDS Live manual under Chapter 8 - Sonar -> more options -> split screen options -> Bottom Lock, this is the only place I could find any information on bottom lock. I wanted to use this feature without a split screen or at the very least be able to control the size of the split. But since it looks like the zoom functionality works the way I hoped it doesn't matter now

Thank you both for the help!
Old 11-19-2019, 05:14 AM
Wallhanger

Default Lowrance Always My First Choice

Lowrance has always in my opinion been the best for sonar. Compared side to side on my boats with Garmin and Hummingbird. Garmin with its selection of powerful chirp transducers at a reasonable cost a close 2nd.

I squeak my Lowrance's with chirp, higher wattage Airmar transducers for maximum performance from my Lowrance carbon units.

Waxy and others best answered your questions on the features I don't use.