Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you keep Your Charger Plugged in all winter - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Cooincidental that I got this message from Minnkota yesterday. They MUST monitor WC

http://links.email1.ascent360.org/se...EyS0&mt=1&rt=0
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 05:42 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
during the year, I have my onboard charger on an hour a night(its plugged into a lamp timer) , I leave the timer on when I leave and that night and it goes off at 1 am the first cycle, then it comes on 1 hour a night from 12-1 am. I fish 2-3 days a week.

During the winter, I have my onboard charger set to about 15 minutes a night with a timer from 12-12:15am, had great luck with this for years. make sure water levels are full if wet cells.

I have had onboard chargers go bad so don't rely on them . also over time batteries age and develop shorts( I think) and may keep charger on more than necessary and "boil" a battery out.

that' s worked for me...maybe not for everyone. i'm 6 seasons on one set of batteries.
my boats are 10 miles and 80 miles away in unheated sheds so I use a $15 timer for the one 80 miles away. Ill likely go visit the one 10 miles away and keep unplugged but also have a timer . I also had a perko switch(isolater) put between my trollmaster /kicker and batteries.
if my boat was at home id keep them unplugged and walk out once in a while and plug em in till I get green twinkly lights on the onboard charger. then leave em for a month or so. don't think there is a scenario I use the onboard charger long term without timer or unplugged except when on the road fishing

Last edited by kswalleyer; 10-30-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

24/7/365 leave 5 batteries in unheated Michigan garage. Has not failed me yet. I let the microprocessor in the dual pro do it's thing!

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 12:23 PM
Wallhanger

I pull all my batteries and bring them back to my house and store them in my heated basement. Fully charge them and then disconnect and leave them for the winter. I work with a guy that left his corvette in his buddies barn on a trickle charger (cheap harbor freight one, don't ask me why). But now he doesn't own a corvette anymore and his buddy no longer has a barn. Something shorted out and it all went up in flames. 30 mins to unhook/rehook batteries is well worth the piece of mind to me even though my boats are stored only 5 miles away.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Old 10-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

My firefighter fishing friend says that charger malfunctions is the number one cause of fires in garages (electric kids toys along with other chargers). I unplug mine once batteries are fully charged and occasionally top them off.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliph View Post
I did that for many years, not any more.
I make sure they are fully charged, than take the ground cable off.
Come spring I check the voltage and it's been about 12.75 volts on
all four battery's.
PS.

I do the same thing on my Vette.
I don't winterize my car or my boat any more. Other than fuel stabilizer.
Why would I fog my outboard if I don't fog my car LS3 engine?
And they both start right up.
This.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

I store my boat in back yard in a covered shed. I have a power source nearby so I plug the chargers in at end of each month all winter. I do check on them just to see that there are no batteries that are discharging. It’s a good test to be sure they are going to be good for next years fishing season.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
w5
Old 11-01-2019, 06:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
My firefighter fishing friend says that charger malfunctions is the number one cause of fires in garages (electric kids toys along with other chargers). I unplug mine once batteries are fully charged and occasionally top them off.
As a volunteer fire fighter for over 35 years we have never had one as you described.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Minnow

We abuse our batteries all year long by blasting them overnight so they are ready to go in the morning and they do not like it. The perfect world for any battery is a long slow charge not a high amperage short term beating. I am a firm believer in low amperage maintainers. In my home shop there are approximately 10 BT Jrs which have a max rate of 0.75 amps and they do great. When we had our diesel pusher I would back it in, turn off the mains and plug in the two hardwired BT Jrs and walk away. It sometimes took 3 days for the maintainers to go green but on those 2 large battery banks that is to be expected. On my boat the start battery gets plugged in to a BT Jr. every time I park it and the trolling battery gets plugged in to my 20+ year old progressive charger. It starts high and tapers down and then shuts off. If the boat goes in to winter storage the TB goes on a BT Jr. This type of approach to battery care will get you the longest battery life. My boat was purchased in 2011 and I just replaced batteries a year ago and that was preventative rather than an emergency replacement. If you use this approach you will also never have a messy battery compartment or corroded terminals unless the battery springs a leak caused by shock and vibration.
Use your onboard so you are ready for the next day but a low amperage maintainer for winter storage. If 120 is not available there are a lot of low amperage solar chargers that work great.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
I stored 16 to 20 boats every year when I had pole sheds. One year when I was shopping for a better insurance rate an insurance company sent someone out to inspect my place because of the high liability coverage I wanted. The guy went nuts when he saw 6 boats plugged in in 1 shed and 8 in another. He claimed that chargers were a major cause of fires but never came up with a single documented case to show me.
That company wanted to put a limit on how many batteries could be charged at the same time in a building and each battery being charged had to be 20' from any other battery being charged. Needless to say they didn't get my business.
I'm a charge them and disconnect them for the winter guy myself but a lot people storing boats with me wanted to plug them in.

Last edited by CI_Guy; 11-01-2019 at 09:42 AM.