Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Helix 5 chirp gps G2 ice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Minnow

Default Helix 5 chirp gps G2 ice

Looking at getting a helix unit for ice fishing, does anyone have the 5? Is the screen big enough for ice fishing? This unit will not be out on the boat, strictly ice fishing in a flip over shack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 06:19 PM
Minnow

Short answer YES.
It works outside also but inside it is perfect!
Old 11-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfisher View Post
Looking at getting a helix unit for ice fishing, does anyone have the 5? Is the screen big enough for ice fishing? This unit will not be out on the boat, strictly ice fishing in a flip over shack.
The biggest thing about ice fishing vs open water fishing is the fact you're stationary. So for me that means I don't need to split the screen for GPS or SI/DI . A 5" screen dedicated completely to sonar will be plenty big enough.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Minnow

I have both. The 5" is plenty big enough for ice fishing, and you don't have to worry as much about battery consumption with the smaller screen.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Minnow

I have been looking and see that the helix 7 has a G3 now and the helix 5 is one G2 still. Am I reading right that these came out at the same time? I can’t find a definite answer as to if they 5 G2 and 7g3 are the same except screen size. Of screen size is only difference I think I’ll go 5 but if you get a lot more on the 7 then I may consider that.