Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cataracts and glasses - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

Interesting. My last eye exam, the optometrist said he could see the cataracts in my eye were causing the vision problems I described. He was going to set me up with a local ophthalmologist for further evaluation and corrective surgery and then paused. He changed his mind, told me there was some risk of complications with cataract surgery, he didn't want to risk the 20/15 corrected vision I currently enjoy and recommended waiting until the vision defect got worse. Maybe it was just a comment on the skill of local doctors, but I think I'll start researching where the area's best eye surgeons work, just in case.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

I just had cataract surgery 4 weeks ago, on my right eye only. They tell me there is a cataract developing in the left eye, but I cannot see any impairment of my vision. Since I got just the right eye done, I don’t have the benefit of two new lenses enabling me to go free of glasses. Since I do close up tedious work they put a lense in there similar to what is naturally in the left, except “amped up” just a little. The Dr stated there was no point in having one eye set for distance and the other near sighted, which would affect my depth perception. I will be having a refraction in the near future so I can get new glasses.

These days the cataract surgery is done with a laser. I waited in pre-op for nearly an hour, and the surgery only took about 15 or 20 minutes, I was wide awake and “watched” the whole thing, even conversed with the surgeon. He talked and explained everything as it happened, and I felt absolutely no pain, in fact, I felt nothing at all. Actually I was fascinated by the process, they made a slight incision with the laser, he broke up the old lense with the laser, he sucked out the old lense in sections, did some clean up in there, and inserted the new lense, which was rolled up on an instrument. The second he unrolled the lense I began to see. It was amazing.

If your considering the surgery, there are no worries. With the laser, there is very little trauma to the eye, and it heals quickly. They told me I could go back to work the very next day, but I took that next day off too.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Wallhanger

Good to hear, thanks all.

Only thing I forgot to ask was about me moving my eye during the laser surgery, not intentionally but by accident.

Al
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Yes, cataracts have come to me as well.

I went in about 6 months ago, because I essentially could not see to drive at night The Dr. indicated that I had a large cataract on my left eye and a smaller one on my right eye. He thought that with new lens, I could get 6-9 months before another correction or surgery.

The 8 months are up and again, I am losing my night vision.

So, I am on the fast track for eye surgery in the next month or so.

Other brothers in my family have already gone through the procedure and all of them indicated how happy they have been to have had the surgery.

We will see.

Be safe
Old 11-14-2019, 05:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Good to hear, thanks all.

Only thing I forgot to ask was about me moving my eye during the laser surgery, not intentionally but by accident.

Al
I moved, the surgeon stopped. He kindly directed me to look at a certain spot on the light/microscope. He then resumed. You are very slightly sedated, just enough to make you easy, but not so much you can’t comprehend and cooperate with the doc. Also, they have a device that holds both lids wide open, and they give you a series of eye drops that numb you up.

Nothing to worry about.

Best of luck to all getting the procedure. I promise you won’t regret it. I feel like it’s given me back my life. I was at least 80% blind in that eye, and professionally, as a jeweler, I struggled greatly.

I ought to add, I had to wait nearly a year for the surgery, as I had issues with the retina too. That was corrected by injections directly into my eyeballs. Those shots were far worse than the surgery.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:56 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
Interesting. My last eye exam, the optometrist said he could see the cataracts in my eye were causing the vision problems I described. He was going to set me up with a local ophthalmologist for further evaluation and corrective surgery and then paused. He changed his mind, told me there was some risk of complications with cataract surgery, he didn't want to risk the 20/15 corrected vision I currently enjoy and recommended waiting until the vision defect got worse. Maybe it was just a comment on the skill of local doctors, but I think I'll start researching where the area's best eye surgeons work, just in case.
15 years before my cataract surgery, my optometrist told me the same thing and I got along fine for a number of years. When the cataracts matured to the stage where they were affecting my daily activities, he referred me to a skilled ophthalmologist. Cataracts don't follow a prescribed schedule and progress at different rates between individuals. As long as your cataracts were not causing severe vision problems, your optometrist's advice was sound. My cataracts had matured to the point where I could no longer safely drive. Your cataracts may reach that stage in a few years, or they may never become a major issue. Your optometrist's advice was sound on the day he gave it, based on his examination and the information you gave him. A skilled optometrist will refer you to a skilled ophthalmologist if and when you need one.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Wallhanger

Small point, Cataracts will not get better. Not sure why you would wait till it kept you from driving safely or anything else. If your health is still good, do it now. Insurance or waiting a year or 2 for Medicare at this time is valid but otherwise get er done. Bob
Old 11-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Wallhanger

For me, I didn't have much choice, I just barely passed my drivers eye test last Sept, plus driving at night and trying to read road signs were getting to the point I had to consider not driving.

The eye test I took recently had me at 20-40 with corrective lenses.
It was time.

al
Old 11-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Just completed my annual vision checkup last week. Nothing has changed.

Had cataract procedure done in the left eye 3 or 4 years ago. Immediate 20/20 and have not used any glasses since.
My regret is not doing it sooner. Absolutely painless. Mildly sedated, the surgeons were talking about building a Rat Rod during the few minutes the procedure took. Talked about that afterward. The only issue is having to mess with the eye drops for 21 days or whatever.

AllenW. We use SouthDale Eye Clinic on 66th & Drew across from SouthDale Center. Have been using them for many years. We are now about 70 miles into Wisconsin but continue to go there because of the confidence we
have in them. The current Dr (for last several years including 2 cataracts for my bride & one for me) was
in high school with our son in Mtka. Small world and are we getting old or what?
Old 11-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Minnow

Default lens replacement

Just had this done in Oct. For several years I have had 'ghosting' of images in both eyes due to cataracts. Glasses helped a little but it got progressively worse to the point where it was time to do something. The surgery itself goes pretty quick, maybe 10 to 15 min. For the first couple of days I was wondering if I had done the right thing. You will notice that things are much brighter through your new lens, which until you get the second eye done can mess with your head a little lol.
I also have a little visual distortion on the extreme Peripheral vision on each eye where the incision is made. Also, you may experience visual halos with the new lenses such as when driving at night as oncoming pass by you, or in any situation where light enters your eyes from the side. I asked about these conditions and yes they are normal. Not everyone experiences the halos but they can happen. You must remember that there is no perfect substitute for OEM lenses. Even with these changes due to the new artificial lenses I have no regrets in having the procedure done. My 'new' eyes are 20/20 with only a very minor correction. I do need reading glasses but, I needed them before the procedure. One thing that it takes a little more getting used to is that you can no longer use you eye mussels to help focus your eyes so you may notice that you have to find the right distance to read or do up close work with your reading glasses. Another common condition that can happen is, after some period of time, the need to get a quick laser zap in each eye to eliminate any cataract cells that may have remained behind, that start to cloud your vision.