Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shipping to Canada - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > For Sale and Services > Swap Board - $500 LIMIT ON ALL POSTS, INCLUDING WTB.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Keeper

Default Shipping to Canada

I was going to ship an item to Canada, but when I did the USPS estimated shipping it said it would cost about $40.00 dollars. The item was only about a pound and could ship in a small shipping envelope. Is this why people don't like to ship to Canada? Is there a cheaper way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Wallhanger

You can thank the first world problems on this. Security advancements require a thorough check which takes people which obviously translates into more $$$$. Pre 9-11 it was a breeze to move stuff and people back and forth. Grew up 20 minutes south of the Manitoba border. Now we are all treated like criminals by both the U.S. and Canadian customs. Sux
Old 10-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Slot Fish

When I ship to the US the cost differs between general delilvery or if you want it insured...

Same goes for when its coming this way... I know some guys just refuse to ship to Canada because theyve heard horror stories and for those there is a store in Plentywood Mt that accepts parcels for us Canucks and we hop over the border and pick em up.

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Old 10-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Wallhanger

Dont understand why the shipping charge was so high. I just purchased a reel from the US and the USPS rate was $10.95. As for horror stories.....dunno, Ive bought/sold literally dozens of items across the border ranging from lures to vintage guitars worth several thousands and have had zero issues More issues shipping domestically.

Last edited by zeebee; 10-19-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

theres some BS customs charges that occur with alot of carriers, fedex is one of them. When it comes to shipping to canada from US I always use the post office. Their flat rate boxes go to canada and mexico w no issues, just need to fill out a customs form. Try it yourself, even the medium size box is under 20 bucks to canada from US and its priority like 3 days or so
Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Keeper

Default Regarding UPS brokerage fees

When you ship into Canada using UPS ground you get hit with a ridiculous brokerage fee. I once paid 20$ brokerage for a free t-shirt....

If you order 3-day expedited or blue or red label priority, the brokerage fees are included in the shipping. It ends up costing pretty much the same to ship 3-day exp vs ground plus brokerage.
Also, there is a way to get around the brokerage fees on ground shipping by doing the brokerage yourself. You have to call them on the day the package is arriving to the ups depot, and ask for the "clear's own" option. Then it's a matter of driving to the ups depot, picking up some papers, heading to the customs bureau, having them process the documents and paying any duty/taxes applicable, an returning with the documents to UPS where they'll give you your package. Certainly a lot of trouble to save a few bucks. I did that once with an expensive downhill mountain bike frame. There was a small defect in the bike and the company sent me a "free" t-shirt to make up for it. Didn't occur to me that the t-shirt would end up costing me 20 bucks.....

In general USPS is the best option for shipping into Canada as I think they charge 5 bucks for brokerage.