Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Phishing email from USPS? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Phishing email from USPS?

We received a suspicious email with all the "official" looking logos of the USPS this morning. Looked it over and it required a download of some sort. Downloaded the file to a disk, not opening the file, and scanned it with Malwarebytes and it detected a trojan. Deleted everything associated with the email and destroyed the disk. The infected file looked like a PDF with an .img extension.

Normally I never open anything unknown, but we were expecting two new "Real ID" drivers licenses this week and thought this email might have something to do with that. So caution served us well today. Scanned the computer that took the email and file and it appears clean.

It never ends.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Spooky. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Pooch,
Copy that caution.

Just tonight, I received several e-mails that could be similar. They concerned some account changes that I had made in the last month, but I was confident that the changes were correct and needed no further action from myself.

So, when I saw the headers on the Mail, they were quickly deleted into the great byte graveyard in the outback.

Thanks for the heads up.

p.s.

If I have done something where I am thinking that there might be an issue and receive an e-mail that could be part of the previous actions - I will call the organization and ask a person the question about the matter, rather than opening a suspicious e-mail.

I was burned once, but not again if I can help it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

FYI - depending on the email reader you are using, many times you can right click on the sender's name, to see the full email address it came from (if not shown already). Or as REW indicated, learn how you can display "headers" for your email, to see the actual "From:" address used. Then it is generally very easy to tell what mail is legit vs bad.
Especially useful for those "This is interesting" emails that look to be from close friends or relatives...but aren't.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Wallhanger

Now that I just turned 64 the calls and mail from "health care" providers and social security have started in earnest. It just doesn't stop ......all day long, and from as far away as FL and NY.

Have also received a call from the "IRS" about some pending litigation from some gal speaking in broken english calling herself "Sally". Yeah, I'm go to call her right back!
If I didn't need it for business I would get rid of my land line.