Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Suzuki 9.9 rough and shaky. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Keeper

I have a new Suzuki 15 kicker. runs smooth and quiet. sounds like a bad plug. it looks like your water pressure is low, mine sprays straight out. I did have a problem with impeller right from the start so I changed the housing, impeller and gaskets . if these get too hot it will shut one cylinder down to protect the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 01:59 PM
Keeper

Well the little plastic nipple broke so that's why the spray is not a beam. It does move water and stays cool. I pulled the plugs and they looked fine. Both slightly blackened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Keeper

Since I was fractions of a second from ordering this, and read your post, I have spent many hours researching. Not too much to be found but what I did find, It sounds to me like they are known to be a little louder and shake a little more. My thoughts are drifting toward Honda or Yamaha now. Very curious to find out if there's something wrong, or if that's the way it runs. Your video shows it shaking way more than I would like.
Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Derrick Reynolds in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
My thoughts are drifting toward Honda or Yamaha now.
Yamaha, best kickers ever made, hands down. Hopefully the OP gets the issues with the zuki' straightened out.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Reynolds in OH View Post
Yamaha, best kickers ever made, hands down. Hopefully the OP gets the issues with the zuki' straightened out.

Maybe...... But I bought a Suzuki on the basis that Yamaha owners said they would buy this Suzuki. Glad you're happy with your yamie

I hope I end up with a "sewing machine" or "Swiss watch"........ That's what I expected when I through down $3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Wallhanger

Have you taken it in to the dealer???
Old 05-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Wallhanger

My Honda 8 acted up like that a couple of years ago at end of season. I revved it up to get gas stabilizer in faster on my last run out. It started to run very rough. Figured it was carbs so checked and cleaned them figuring I was good the next season. Nope, ran the same in the spring. I took the plugs out and they looked pretty much the same and ok. Pulled the starter and one spark looked a bit weaker. switched them and weaker spark was same plug. New plugs, all good. I was very surprised as by looking at the plugs I doubted that was the cause.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Keeper

I don't have a dealer...... I mail ordered this because I don't have a dealer nearby and All my research said this Suzuki is the best by a fair margin. It's also the ONLY efi kicker available which is a fair amount of the reason its "the best". And i'm an anti carburetor guy so it was a no-brainer. Anyway, I don't have a dealer near by so I;m going to run it a little while and I have a 2 year warranty if it doesn't settle down and break in.

I happen to have a lot auto mechanic history/schooling so I'm able to check it out and see there's nothing overheating or getting damaged. After I got home from the lake yesterday I put the earmuffs on it in the garage and ran it for a little while and it was just as rough. I pulled the plugs and they looked good. both slightly blackened and clear. I compression checked it and found a dismal 70 and 100 psi.

So I concluded the rings were not set yet. I also noticed a lot of air puffing through the crankcase breather and into the intake. Remove the dipstick or oil fill and get the same result.... lots of air puffing past the rings and out those holes. That's also a confirmation the rings are leaking or not seated yet. I ran the motor for several hours today in a trash can of water at various rpms and in and out of gear, and compression came up to 150 on both cylinders so I'm feeling better about it. It's still not smooth, but its getting better and I also suspect last years gas in the tank isn't helping any either, although the big motor drinks it just fine.

I also pulled one plug wire at a time and confirmed its not misfiring on either cylinder. Same with the fuel injectors. Pull any one and it dies. So It's got spark and fuel on both.

So.... now I know there's nothing obviously wrong my plan is to run it some more. break it in. get new gas. and go from there.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec View Post
My Honda 8 acted up like that a couple of years ago at end of season. I revved it up to get gas stabilizer in faster on my last run out. It started to run very rough. Figured it was carbs so checked and cleaned them figuring I was good the next season. Nope, ran the same in the spring. I took the plugs out and they looked pretty much the same and ok. Pulled the starter and one spark looked a bit weaker. switched them and weaker spark was same plug. New plugs, all good. I was very surprised as by looking at the plugs I doubted that was the cause.
Thats a good point. I'll CALL suzuki, maybe I can get new plugs to rule that out.

thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 07:31 PM
Wallhanger

Your compression tests suggest that it is the rings are not fully seated yet.
Call Suzuki, but I will guess that it will get better as it gets worn in.

Also, my last boat had a 2004 Suzuki 90 and when it was about 6 years old it started missing and losing power. I replaced the plug, even though they looked fine, and the new plugs fixed it.

Please keep us updated.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.