Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
cell phones in tournaments - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
FizzOK

Default RE: cell phones in tournaments

Its refreshing to finally hear some factual accounts that actually support the benefits of fizzing. Mostly you just hear the nay sayers who try to convince you that all fizzing leads to mortality and right here in front of our ears we have a registered witness who has caught these very fish that others tell us are going to die for sure.
Thank you AB Walleyehunter for weighing in on the issue and showing that fizzing is an effective measure to keep fish alive to be caught another day..Your point is heard loud and clear..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
proelite175

people are going to cheat no matter what.... but you wont catch me leaving the dock without my cell phone. I shut it off before i launch the boat and dont turn it back on till after weigh in.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Minnow

The read states,"caught by another angler" Those fish in question couldn't be taken to the scale due to the physical markings left on the fish. When the organizers at the scale enter your boat and inspect the fish, any such evidence of fizzing,will result in DQ. For the 08 season another rule in effect states that, "any signs of deflation of the stomach,[caved in bellies] with or without fizzing marks will result in DQ. Not only do we now have to release a caught fish with needle markings, we have to release fish that have deflated bellies, even if you didn't preform the procedure. Where is this going?

Needleless walleyehunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Wallhanger

You'd prob have to outlaw marine band radios, walkie talkies, spotlights and tin cans and string, all could be used to send meassages..:)

I think I'd pass on the no cell phone thing also, at 60 I like being able to contact or be contacted if a emergency comes up.

Al
Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Cell phones for emergencies may be valid when you are pre fishing or on the water when few people are around. But during a tourney when you have (in our tourneys) up to a 100 boats on a single lake? Our state requires an air horn be carried. I don't know who I would call in a emergency, but the air horn would put 6 boats by me in a second. And if I were catching fish, they would already be there!!:cheers:
Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
proelite175

what about the people who run 70 miles to the middle of no where(escanaba) where they are the only people fishing that spot. i think ill keep my phone in the glove box
Old 02-12-2008, 05:18 PM

I would think that if you are fishing a tourney and running 70 miles you would have a marine radio instead of a cell phone. I know that reception is tough on some of our waters. I would really like to talk to that guy that asks "can you hear me now" :banging: !! There are no lakes in our state that you would run anywhere near that far, there are always boats nearby. I firmly believe in trying to change the rules that you feel are wrong, but playing by them until they are changed. If everyone decides what rules they will play by and which ones they won't, you don't have a sport, you have chaos. I mean, if you play tennis without the net, is it still tennis?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Minnow

I agree, If you are worried about safety a two way radio or marine radio is the best because it is broadcast to everyone. If you had to use the radios then everyone would hear you-either broadcastig for help or letting your tournament buddies know where the catch is. I would bet there would be far less chat on the lake.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
proelite175

well there still legal till that day comes all im saying is its in my boat...what we should be worrying about is the guys who cant catch fish without there 6 boat teams
Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 AM

I agree Proelite. The tourneys I fish in KS have made them illegal. Of course, we don't have the huge lakes you do up north. But the problem is enforcing the rule. Those that were cheating before by using cell phones will just have to duck down on the floor of their boat to use them and no one will see. As an earlier post said, we would have to do a complete body search, which is not feasible. It's to bad that we have to worry about it. That is why I feel that if one is caught cheating, they should be subject to lifetime DQ on that circuit.